Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo and Dicker

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Hyypia needs to go because he's inept and lost the dressing room. Berk needs to go because he's supplied Sami with a load of dross. Paul Barber simply runs the business side of the club on behalf of Bloom. Bring in a manager and let him chose who he wants for his style of play. It is THAT simple.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry but l don't buy that. I think it was largely coincidence that both Barber and Poyet were formerly employees of Tottenham. After all, Poyet was merely assistant manager there, and it would have been Sergio Ramos who would have had any real dealings with Paul Barber. In those days Tony Bloom had no real idea just how demanding Gus could be.
Two points.
You're saying that assistant managers don't get cross when they're sacked? Best ask Charlie Oatway what he thinks of PB.
I'd have thought that by the time Barber was appointed (2012) Tony Bloom would have known exactly how demanding Gus could be.
Apologies if I've misinterpreted what you meant.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Definitely it'll not take the greatest of leaps to assume things would improve under a new manager.
Especially short term.

But beyond that, how confident are you that a change of manager is all we need.

You are right of course about the bigger picture. The club wants to control player recruitment, which a top Championship manager will baulk at, so the only viable option is the clone manager one, UNLESS, ultimately, Bloom realises this formula/template approach is dead in the water. I like your small cog analogy, in that at most clubs, the manager is usually the second biggest behind the chairman. We seem to have relegated the role of first team manager to be on par with the ticket office manager in importance or the like...

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
My theory on what's going on.

After garcia leaves, decent managers are put off the albion.
we get hypia who is damaged goods and wants to establish himself in English football.
He takes the job provided he plays by the rules of Burke and barber.
As we know it hasn't worked out - so why hasn't hypia been sacked ?
Well, as long as he's there it deflects from the real problem - Burke (and his recruitment team) and to a lesser extent , barber.
If hypia goes there will be pressure to recruit an experienced manager. But B and B know an accomplished manager would recognise the existing recruitment system doesn't work. He'd likely want a number of existing staff removed, possibly Burke .
Turkeys tend not to vote for Christmas so we are stuck with a manager that they can control, ensuring their jobs.
Meanwhile the club is nosediving towards relegation.
My worry is Burke, barber etc would sooner protect their own positions than protect the club. Bad news for us fans.

I agree with the first part and would also add 'After Poyet gets sacked for Gross Misconduct prospective managers are wary of applying for the job' We could have done ourselves a lot of harm in the way we handled Gus's dismissal. I would expect that most managers would think twice before working for someone with that track record.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
During the game I was listening to scr and Virgo was very critical of Hyppia and tactics and substitution's.

True, and specific players (Teixiera's awful decision-making, for example), and the lack of creativity in the squad, and the Board.

Plenty of major issues to sort out, long after Hyppia gets the sack this week.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

we get hypia who is damaged goods and wants to establish himself in English football. He takes the job provided he plays by the rules of Burke and barber.
Well, as long as he's there it deflects from the real problem - Burke (and his recruitment team) and to a lesser extent , barber.
If hypia goes there will be pressure to recruit an experienced manager. But B and B know an accomplished manager would recognise the existing recruitment system doesn't work. He'd likely want a number of existing staff removed, possibly Burke .
Turkeys tend not to vote for Christmas so we are stuck with a manager that they can control, ensuring their jobs.
My worry is Burke, barber etc would sooner protect their own positions than protect the club. Bad news for us fans.

Excellent post touching on the real issues. The problems on and off the pitch started long before Hyppia arrived.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

we get hypia who is damaged goods and wants to establish himself in English football. He takes the job provided he plays by the rules of Burke and barber.
Why Barber.?..he has nothing to do with player recruitment

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

My point is this is about people protecting their jobs. I believe there's major arse covering going on and that is why the incompetent hypia is still in charge, which is why , in turn, we are so ineffective on the pitch

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Arse covering and protecting £ six-figure salaried positions.

Bang on the money. In the short term, sacking hypia should keep us up. Longer term - tony needs to grow a pair and restructure

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

CEO being paid best part of £500k has no say or implementation on strategy?

I think not.

Bloom is hands off (but high investment) and has let the running of the club to highly paid corporate type suits that is why we are where we are. They are not compatible with the footballing side of the club and any decent manager knowing our set up will steer well clear.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is why I struggle with the concept of 'sack Sami and things will be better'.

The midfield was shocking and not creative long before Sami arrrived, why do people think it'll be so much better after he's gone?

What people have forgotten is that the first few league games under Sami were hugely entertaining, marred only by the inability of the strikers to put away numerous chances. The players were essentially the same as we have today.

What Sami did was coach out the players ability, and wreck their confidence. They can be good again under another manager

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What people have forgotten is that the first few league games under Sami were hugely entertaining, marred only by the inability of the strikers to put away numerous chances. The players were essentially the same as we have today.

What Sami did was coach out the players ability, and wreck their confidence. They can be good again under another manager
This is what I'm clinging to. If Bent had been playing against Cardiff we'd have won by a cricket score, superb that night but Marshall thwarted everything. There's still ability in the squad, it just needs utilising properly.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This......so many players have regressed in the last couple of months. Shot confidence.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've challenged this tired cliché a few times now and as yet nobody who has used it has come back with an explanation.
What do you actually mean by 'coached out the players ability?'

My entire defence of Sami has been based on us conceding 'worldie' goals, stupid individual errors, and as you say scoring.
Other than that this season would look very different.

But Sami hasn't stood on the training pitch and said:-
'no no no you're too good, stop doing that, and looking for the pass, you need to kick the ball into touch'.

A main part of the reason we were entertaining, for moments, was because the fullback were marauding around like headless chicksons and we were getting picked off.

Changing that plan to keep it tighter and expecting more creativity from the midfield, isn't 'coaching out ability'.
Sadly for Sami expecting creativity from his current favoured midfield, may well cost him his job.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Hyypia and Jones out for terrible tactics and picking the wrong players...Burke out for the dour signings that keep coming to the club and Barber out because his spin is drivel and and even JCL's are realising that now...They have all been given the freedom from Bloom to manage the club and should be dismissed as you would in any other job for failure to comply with your daily tasks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

???? Sheff Wed followed by Birmingham were first 2..and absolute crap

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Forgetting several key aspects of this squad and any first 11 choice:
A lack of Championship standard strikers, of quality creative players, of a midfield boss or two with power, of pace in general, other than LuaLua a lack of decent wide men, old right backs, no one first class as shielding the back 4.

All of the above have ever-present this season.

Add point-losing gaffs by Stockdale.

The club, already one that struggled to score/create in the main in this Championship 3 seasons, lost Bridcutt, Barnes, Vicente, Hammond, Bridge/Ward, Buckley, Lopez, Orlandi, ElAbd, Ulloa, Kuszchak. All with some key qualities, even if it was just fight, bottle, a lack of fear of opponents.

Squad quality has dropped big time, so don't hold your breath that the next coach will give us wonderful attacking winning football as we march towards the play-offs. Until this squad is sorted out in a major way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here