Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear. Now I feel sorry for Sami.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
he hasn't learned his trade as a manager yet.....The Championship is not the place to learn......time for a change , Hyppia and Jones out for a fresh start while we still have a chance of a safe finish.........the longer they stay the deeper into the mire we will sink...!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I feel sorry for Sami as a human being as it must be the worst thing in the world to try your best and not succeed (whilst suffering abuse from many), however he is quite clearly out of his depth in this division and has to go ASAP before the damage is irreparable.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Name ONE player, just ONE who has benefitted from management and coaching of Sami and Nathan. ONE, name ONE?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I find myself having similar feelings, despite questioning his emotions in the past. The team was set s good as it could be tonight and played with endeavour and enthusiasm, but simply some of the players are just not good enough and choices and options taken by individuals were poor. On a player level Sami was not responsible for:

Missing two goal scoring opportunities afforded to Bent
A golden opportunity given to March
Four great opportunities to cross to men in the centre in the first half
Tex who couldn't beat the first man with his corner even though we had brought our keeper up
Starting Gardner, because its in his loan deal
Not having the captain available for selection
Having a light weight midfield, in terms of physique
Not having an inspirational midfielder in the squad
Not having one central figure in the team who is a big player (not talking about size)

Sami is the fall guy here, he tried something different tonight and had spotted the Millwall weakness with his tactics and selection, its just that the players were not able to deliver for him, Any dismissals should come further up the structure, i'm not sure a change of manager now will make a huge difference.

Can't believe Gardner has to start
Captain not available? The vice captain is and was. He decided to play a chancer instead
Light weight midfield, his choice
Inspirational midfielder his choice

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Looked thoroughly miserable throughout the match.
Sounded very down (I know, how can you tell!) after the match.
Ignored by the players during the Millwall keeper injury break.
Fans shouting for his head in between fighting amongst themselves.
Beaten by a poor Millwall side to worsen our position.
Screwed by the club after he made clear when he signed that he needed an experienced No 2.
Screwed again by the club making poor signings to replace departees.
Screwed again by the club bringing in a load of loan signings.
Screwed again by the club over signing Steven Ward.
Screwed by the suits who have clamped the club down too hard over ffp.

I keep trudging out to the Amex because it's my club. I enjoy the social side, the pies, the event etc, but the footballing side is a repetitive loop of a non event. Earlier in the season we seemed to have many fans who craved entertaining football over wins. Now the entertainment has gone the way of the wins, the attendance tonight plumetted. So no wins, no entertainment, no expectations and dwindling support. All replaced by apathy.

Nonetheless, Sami looked utterly beaten by the burden of the job and, despite being a fan for half a century, I still can't bring myself to want him to go. The man needs an experienced number two.

Having just got in at 11.50, and having been thinking about it on the way home in the car, I agree entirely with just about all that!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ignored by the players during the Millwall keeper injury break.

That really was quite telling. While Holloway engaged with his players during that break, giving instruction and encouragement as they grouped around in front of him, Hyypia was lurking around awkwardly on the periphery of the technical area like a virgin by the dancefloor at Oriana's. Eventually he sloped over and started talking to the players, all of whom either had their back to him or didn't even look at him as they took their water.

They plainly have absolutely no belief in him.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That really was quite telling. While Holloway engaged with his players during that break, giving instruction and encouragement as they grouped around in front of him, Hyypia was lurking around awkwardly on the periphery of the technical area like a virgin by the dancefloor at Oriana's. Eventually he sloped over and started talking to the players, all of whom either had their back to him or didn't even look at him as they took their water.

no good for him ...no good for the players....an insult to the fans..!!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

And rightly so. Completely out of his depth.

Holla, toko, Kemy, ince must genuinely believe hypia is blind.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
This could be the ultimate nightmare. Yes Sami takes the bullets but are these players actually able to put a decent run of performances together. I bet even Mourhino would struggle with this lot. :nono:

eh, id take him

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I find myself having similar feelings, despite questioning his emotions in the past. The team was set s good as it could be tonight and played with endeavour and enthusiasm, but simply some of the players are just not good enough and choices and options taken by individuals were poor. On a player level Sami was not responsible for:

Missing two goal scoring opportunities afforded to Bent
A golden opportunity given to March
Four great opportunities to cross to men in the centre in the first half
Tex who couldn't beat the first man with his corner even though we had brought our keeper up
Starting Gardner, because its in his loan deal
Not having the captain available for selection
Having a light weight midfield, in terms of physique
Not having an inspirational midfielder in the squad
Not having one central figure in the team who is a big player (not talking about size)

Sami is the fall guy here, he tried something different tonight and had spotted the Millwall weakness with his tactics and selection, its just that the players were not able to deliver for him, Any dismissals should come further up the structure, i'm not sure a change of manager now will make a huge difference.

We are still not getting players into the box when we go forward, i lost count of the number of times we were in possession out wide around the opposition penalty area and the only Albion player in their entire penalty area was Bent, no-one was trying to get in there to offer support and as they came forward, they chose to go out wide too so we'd end up with 4 players in a small area between the touchline and penalty area and still only one in the box so even if we had been in a position to create a cross, there was no-one to get on the end of it (except Bent and he had 4 defenders in the box to try to stop it reaching him)

Why, when losing do you swap like for like rather than throw more attacking players on? (Colunga on for March and McCourt on for E Bennett rather than take a deeper lying MF off instead?) or against Fulham? (Attacking winger Lua Lua off injured after we have been pinning them back and bring on Defensive midfielder Ince?)

We have experienced central midfielders but are playing 2 relatively inexperienced players there instead, and they have yet to control the MF during a game when playing together)

Oh and Squad rotation - does he even know his best XI?

These are all areas the manager controls and he has failed to react and change this as it has been shown not to be working (only 3 wins all season)

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Other than one player all the rest seem to be in reverse.
We have got no teeth and no support up front.
I stayed up very late for this but wasn't surprised really.
Sami's demeanor in the post match interview was of a man who did not want to be there and he looked and sounded totally beaten and resigned to his fate.
Shame, but management is not usually for the good guys, you can't be mates with subordinates.
Treat them fairly by all means, but make sure they know who the boss is.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Nice bloke, but enough is enough. We need a strong manager that will bring in a decent no.2 and then hopefully will some time along the line bring in a director of football to replace Burke. This is the ONLY way we can have change.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He can leave whenever he wants. It's not like he hasn't been supported.. Halford, Elliott Bennett, Darren Bent, Diarra...

Supported?, do you really think so?, if the loan signings of the aforementioned players are 'supporting' him then fine. Halford ... a jouneyman defender if ever there was one, Elliott Bennett ... not the same player that we last saw play for the Albion, Bent ... over the hill, and Diarra ... has hardly set the game alight whilst playing in this country.

All of the best players of recent seasons have been sold, or allowed to leave the club in rapid succession, Ulloa, Upson, Buckley, Ward, Bridcutt, Barnes, Noone. That wonderful passing side of Gus Poyet of only two seasons ago is now a fading memory.

But despite the fact that l believe Sami has been let down massively by the heirachy behind the scenes, go he must. We need someone at the club with new ideas, someone with a bit more tactical nous, to try and dig us out of the mire, and we need him fast, because at the moment, despite the fact there is still over half of the season left, we are League One bound already.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There are comparisons here with the Hinshlewood era. (Apart from the fact that Hinshlewood didn't take over a club who'd made the play-offs for the last two seasons). A nice guy, but out of his depth. Eventually he got sacked (what month? Can't remember) and replaced with Coppell - but it was too late.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly out of his depth. He also lacks the personality to inspire the players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's the worst manager we've ever had but he's been appointed and then stitched up by the suits.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Apart from the manager, Albion in the pursuit of FFP have broken the golden rule of a successful team, when you have quality you add quality to it. What we've seen in the last 12 months is a steady sale of quality players, on high wages, and a replacement by lesser quality and lower wages. When you add a manager not up to the task you get trouble, IMO it's not all his fault as the previous 2 managers have both made it clear they weren't happy with the setup further up the chain of control.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I won't be back until he goes, If he doesn't go then that's fine, it will save me all that time, money and general effort...... ce la vie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here