Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Faustian pact comes unstuck.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not disputing he's a fan. All I am saying is that he is also a businessman and given his trade, I doubt he would risk his wealth. What is his wealth? I don't know.

There is more publicly available information on many other Chairmen/women than there is on Mr Bloom. Star Lizard Consulting wouldn't appear to offer the backing to support the millions invested. Hull City may not like Assem Allam, but they can trace his wealth.

Tony Bloom is a fan, but he's under the microscope at the moment for having made wrong appointments. It's ok to ask questions. It is our club.

It's our job as fans to hold him to account, agree entirely. He has gone on record as saying he wants the Albion to be a legacy, and there's nothing to date to doubt his word.

One dodgy management appointment doesn't make him any less committed to the long term goals he has, of a sustainable club playing at a high level in the football pyramid. It does however seem that a lot of people who have issues with him, for whatever reasons, are leveraging on us being crap this season to have a go whilst we are all feeling down, scapegoats are being sought and lynch mobs are being rounded up.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Spot on with that one. Reportedly Burke is probably the most DOUR man you ever would meet and HE is in charge of recruitment and SELLING the club to potential players!

It takes really stupid man to pass on someone elses incorrect view on someone to a message board.
In all likelihood the person that you know, as they know you, is not worth giving the time of day to, and wasn't...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I thought it was reported on this organ when burke was on big al and ade's show, he came over as a very personable guy and he explained his signings and all was rosy in the garden. I assume they asked the revealing questions therefore perhaps we all have a blinkered view of him?

In fairness Burke was very impressive on that edition of the show (also we were good then). Despite his incredibly dull monotone he did go through his impressive cv and the detail of how the system at the Albion worked. The main problem everyone has with Burke this season, is that this summers deals have for more the post part turned out to be absolute pony. For me Burke is on even thinner ice than Hyppia, to not have ANY of the summer signings staking a claim for a regular first team place by December is quite frankly bloody awful. He should be held accountable for it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's our job as fans to hold him to account, agree entirely. He has gone on record as saying he wants the Albion to be a legacy, and there's nothing to date to doubt his word.

One dodgy management appointment doesn't make him any less committed to the long term goals he has, of a sustainable club playing at a high level in the football pyramid. It does however seem that a lot of people who have issues with him, for whatever reasons, are leveraging on us being crap this season to have a go whilst we are all feeling down, scapegoats are being sought and lynch mobs are being rounded up.

Exactly.

We're certainly playing crap, and, imo, Sami needs to go, mostly because I don't think he's capable of motivating the team to play to their abilities any more.

The motives of those circling the wagons for TB? I'd hazard a guess that some are motivated by a desire to get back at him for what they see as him having treated DK poorly at the time TB took over. In other words - revenge.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
El Presidente said yesterday that Bloom has got £700m........

When Bloom took over the Albion he was listed as being worth 50m on the Sunday Times Rich List - I haven't seen the higher figure quoted, but if it's correct I'd love to know what he did to turn that 50m into 700m so swiftly. Perhaps he can give George Osbourne a few tips?

I've never understood how someone worth 50m could somehow magic up the original 93k for the Amex out of his back pocket, let alone the extra development, training ground etc that now adds up to, apparently, 200m.

Surely he must be using other people's money for at least some of it? A possibility that, whenever I've suggested it to Albion fans in pubs, no-one seems to want to even countenace. The idea that it isn't "all Tony's money" seems somehow heretical.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The main problem everyone has with Burke this season, is that this summers deals have for more the post part turned out to be absolute pony. For me Burke is on even thinner ice than Hyppia, to not have ANY of the summer signings staking a claim for a regular first team place by December is quite frankly bloody awful. He should be held accountable for it.
Spot on! Although to be fair, Stockdale is still our first choice GK, isn't he?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When Bloom took over the Albion he was listed as being worth 50m on the Sunday Times Rich List - I haven't seen the higher figure quoted, but if it's correct I'd love to Would love to know what he did to turn that 50m into 700m so swiftly. Perhaps he can give George Osbourne a few tips?

I've never understood how someone worth 50m could somehow magic up the original 93k for the Amex out of his back pocket, let alone the extra development, training ground etc that now adds up to, apparently, 200m.

Surely he must be using other people's money for at least some of it? A possibility that, whenever I've suggested it to Albion fans in pubs, no-one seems to want to even countenace. The idea that it isn't "all Tony's money" seems somehow heretical.

OR... The ST rich list had the wrong number for him. I know 2 people on the list and the wealth of both is underestimated by at least an order of magnitude.

EDIT: I also know at least 2 more who should be on it, but have managed to keep their wealth quiet - away from prying eyes. The ST list is barely worth the paper it's written on, IMO.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
In fairness Burke was very impressive on that edition of the show (also we were good then). Despite his incredibly dull monotone he did go through his impressive cv and the detail of how the system at the Albion worked. The main problem everyone has with Burke this season, is that this summers deals have for more the post part turned out to be absolute pony. For me Burke is on even thinner ice than Hyppia, to not have ANY of the summer signings staking a claim for a regular first team place by December is quite frankly bloody awful. He should be held accountable for it.

He might have sounded impressive, but on the face of it and what we as fans see, what he said is very different from the reality. He talked about the level of detail and analysis, no stone left unturned, every aspect of the player fully looked into. So, how do you explain a fat goalkeeper who couldn't save a ball two yards to his left? A lumbering centre forward tailor made for league 1 hoofball? A million pound plus striker who can't kick straight regularly enough? Love the style of McCourt - but...if he did his research as well as he said then the outcome of that deal should be no surprise. The list goes on and on.

So while in theory it's all a lovely exact science, the reality is total chaos and FOUR, count'em, rebuilds of a squad in 5 months. If I was Tony I wouldn't be too happy about that. Expensive business getting it right, even more expensive getting it wrong. What do they say? Buy cheap, buy twice.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Agreed. And I'm not jumping on any anti-Bloom bandwagon as these are questions that have sat uneasily at the back of my mind (at the back of all our minds) since TB came on board. We're all delighted that we have a millionaire/billionaire on board. That's just the point. I don't like not knowing what's holding the club up? Is it a million or a billion, or is Tone ringing round the rellies for some spare change? I have no idea? Will he sell his share for £56 if times are tight. I just don't know. So, they are just questions I have, and when those with the most financial insight (like your good self) aren't 100% clear on the matter then it just worries me a little. I'm sure TB will do just fine. I'd still love a supporter's trust place on the board.

With regards the 'one dodgy management appointment' the only issue I have here is with us having had 3 managers in 3 seasons, it would suggest more than one odd decisions having been made. Ironically, I hope it will soon be 4 managers in 3 seasons.

I think TB just needs to change Hyypia now. Get a short-term appointment to get us out of the hole we are in before looking at a long-term replacement over the summer, and to go for experience rather than a gamble.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Oh well, that's my book for the week read.

It all reminds me of Brando in On the Waterfront when asked 'what you rebelling against now'

He replies, "What you got"

Burke has signed some crap players so he is on very thin ice and Sammi is a crap manager and needs to go but how much did we sign this Faustian Pact for ?

It's not so cozy for some now and they are all having their say and talking like Archer and Belloti are in charge. We're just a bit shit at the moment.............just hang on ffs.

You devil you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's not about one dodgy management appointment, it's the manner in which Oscar left following a poor transfer window that raises questions. Bloom blaming it on Oscar's poor communication skills was patronising and disingenuous at best, and it makes you wonder who is really responsible for a communication issue.

There have been quite a few decisions now that have actually cost the club money, so while I have no doubt that Bloom is trying to do his best, he is also paying for his mistakes.

Sami is just the symptom of a problem that started higher up. Out of all our summer signings only two have featured, and when we chuck in the six loan plaers we are hanging by a thread. Sami might not be up to the task but this whole situation is not entirely of his own making.

The real test will be how the next manger will deal with the player issue if Sami goes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OR... The ST rich list had the wrong number for him. I know 2 people on the list and the wealth of both is underestimated by at least an order of magnitude.

EDIT: I also know at least 2 more who should be on it, but have managed to keep their wealth quiet - away from prying eyes. The ST list is barely worth the paper it's written on, IMO.

Lend us a fiver would you?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I can't help feeling that some of those having a pop at Attila about him starting 'another' thread on this subject are, if they were honest with themselves, absolutely delighted he has as it's given them another opportunity to put the boot in. I do find the level of snidey digs he gets is unjustified, even if he does sometimes set himself up for it. It's certainly partly a political thing, and when politics is involved we all know the level of debate quickly descends to playground bully time (and yes, the real politicians from all sides are to blame for setting that example).

So, I'm quite glad Attila's put his two-penny worth in where it won't be swallowed up in the mass debate already raging elsewhere, because it has once again shown NSC up for what it is, a representation of the best and the worst of what happens when people, myself included, sit behind keyboards and spout. Perhaps Colin Meloy had been spending some time on here when he was penning 'What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World'. But probably not, like Attila, he's got far better things to do and just doesn't have the time.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The motives of those circling the wagons for TB? I'd hazard a guess that some are motivated by a desire to get back at him for what they see as him having treated DK poorly at the time TB took over. In other words - revenge.

Really ? I that that might be a little over-dramatic. Unless - they think that DK is the messiah, and TB really is the devil.

You know, you might be onto something.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can't help feeling that the same of those having a pop at Attila about him starting 'another' thread on this subject are, if they were honest with themselves, absolutely delighted he has as it's given them another opportunity to put the boot in, again.

You have hit the nail fair and squarely on the head there.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

You have hit the nail fair and squarely on the head there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here