Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offered redundancy & then fired....HELP NEEDED?

I can't give you any specific help, but I will say that it is really really hard to sack someone. An unsubstantiated complaint wouldn't be enough. Not completing one piece of work wouldn't normally be enough either, unless you had a history of slacking, which it sounds like you don't.

If you need any reassurance, look how hard it is to sack a football manager without paying off his contract!!!

Unfortunately it's becoming much easier to sack someone - one of the shittiest things the Coalition government have done is to make it costly for an individual to use the tribunal process. Many crappy HRs will use this to take short cuts, betting that people like the OP won't risk the initial outlay. Sign of the times I'm afraid. Hope the OP stands up to them, this is really when you need a union in your corner.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now my company wouldn't tell me who the complaint was from or what it was really about

This is the bit I find really strange. You say that they are trying to protect a global brand. That being the case, surely they would be professional enough to tell you what you have done wrong!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Lots of good advice above. Just one thought to add - might you want to delete this thread? Perhaps over paranoid as this is a very unlikely source to come and get legal advice, but you've said quite a lot in your post and might not want that going any further.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Lots of good advice above. Just one thought to add - might you want to delete this thread? Perhaps over paranoid as this is a very unlikely source to come and get legal advice, but you've said quite a lot in your post and might not want that going any further.

Poor advice, a single letter even the threat of employment lawyers is what is Reqd to get them to reconsider their options. This thread (if ever seen)will only help them think you're not going to roll over & go quietly
I used Alain Cohen @ AshbyCohen in the West End, top drawer and boosted my offered payout twice before settlement

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I can't offer any legal advise but make sure you record every bit of communication between you and the company and if possible always have someone present as a witness and as tempting as it seems avoid any emotional response still to facts.
As others have said sacking someone is no longer easy and straightforward, I have seen it from the other side of the fence we had someone who was totally incompetent and it took over 2 years for the company to get the point they were confident of sacking him (although that did involve the individual being both disabled and no white European which added to the complexity).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Something happened at that party.

I reckon you dipped a bollock in Mr Yamiza's scotch and told him to shove his latest tender up his arse.

Might be speculating

Dipping his nads in the Japanese MD's tipple and given drunken abuse is fine if he bowed to the appropriate depth before hand.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Something happened at that party.

I reckon you dipped a bollock in Mr Yamiza's scotch and told him to shove his latest tender up his arse.

Might be speculating

This

There's definitely something the OP isn't telling us

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Shouldn't you have the right to appeal the original dismissal decision?

Also, in what way were you invited to the meeting? In writing, in advance and mentioning the purpose of the meeting? They should also offer you the chance to have someone accompany you to the meeting.

If the company has shortcut its own disciplinary procedure, they wont have much of a leg to stand on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here