Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sony Xperia Z3

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Does anyone have, or have experience of using, one of these?

I'm due an upgrade in a few weeks and this is currently looking like my choice - very positive reviews everywhere and seems to do everything I'd require, but I wouldn't mind either some first-hand feedback or even possible alternative suggestions.

Ta. :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I have a Z3 compact and I'm loving it.

Never had (nor want) an Iphone so not able to compare

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good to hear, thanks guys. I've always been on the Android side of the fence (I have an HTC at present) and have always been happy, so combine that with my having bought multiple Android apps over time and you'll understand why I have no interest in crossing to the 'dark side'.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Wait until January (or Q1) and get the Samsung Galaxy 6, with Snapdragon 810. No brainer, shirley?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'm leaving the iphone after 5 years.

Next week I'll be the owner of the new Sumsung note 4. I did look at the Z3 as an alternative but the Note 4 just came out as the winner.
I did a lot of research for my needs before making a final decision.

The main issue with the Z3 will be any resale value. Sony produce upgraded models too often meaning that if you buy a new one now, in 18 months it will be pretty worthless!
There isn't much between these two phones capabilities and in my opinion the iphone has had it's day. They need to do a lot more than simply playing catch up in the future to win me back!

Check out YouTube for some excellent reviews on all three models before you decide would be my advice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good to hear, thanks guys. I've always been on the Android side of the fence (I have an HTC at present) and have always been happy, so combine that with my having bought multiple Android apps over time and you'll understand why I have no interest in crossing to the 'dark side'.

I'm not here to debate iOS v Android at all and, for the record, I think Sony make the best Android phones (I'd wait for the Z4 though - out in January) but is app lock-in really a factor nowadays?

Despite only ever having had iPhones I really do not think I have much money locked-up in native apps - almost everything I use regularly is free on iOS and I'm sure will be likewise on Android.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Does anyone have, or have experience of using, one of these?

I'm due an upgrade in a few weeks and this is currently looking like my choice - very positive reviews everywhere and seems to do everything I'd require, but I wouldn't mind either some first-hand feedback or even possible alternative suggestions.

Ta. :thumbsup:
I have just upgraded to the Sony Exeria Z3 compact and I would recommend it, having used the older version for the last two years without any problems . Admittedly I biased in that avoid having an iPhone at all costs, but there is no doubt you get more spec for your money!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Wondering now about the Nexus 6....is it just too big?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Upgraded to Z3 after years of iphones 3,4 and 5.
Jumped ship due to battery life frustrations, and itunes hatred. So pleased with Z3. Great camera, great screen, SD card capability, music management, phone build is quality. Not looked back at all.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thanks all, sounding like the z3 really is the way to go here. :thumbsup:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
FYI Sony are meant to be scaling back their phone business so hopefully they will stop releasing a million models a year which just leads to confusion for consumers.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Thanks all, sounding like the z3 really is the way to go here. :thumbsup:

If you can wait two months until January you'll be able to get a z4 or the z3 for cheaper. You can never stay on top of the releases unless you have a lot of money to throw around but you might as well get in at the start of a generation.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you can wait two months until January you'll be able to get a z4 or the z3 for cheaper. You can never stay on top of the releases unless you have a lot of money to throw around but you might as well get in at the start of a generation.
Might just do that, ta. :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Excellent phone, providing the issues with battery life have been sorted out from previous versions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There isn't much between these two phones capabilities and in my opinion the iphone has had it's day. They need to do a lot more than simply playing catch up in the future to win me back!

...but I can't ignore such horseshit as the above. If "the iPhone has had it's day", Apple are doing a great job of covering it up according to reports of the last couple of days. Apple still can't make enough iPhones which are selling in record number, which has pushed Apple's stock price to record highs. Again.

Apple Inc. Stock Hits New High on Monstrous Prediction for iPhone Sales - http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...redicts-monstrous-apple-inc-iphone-sales.aspx
Apple’s market value hits $700bn on iPhone 6 sales - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/347a664e-74c9-11e4-a418-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3KDSrU1Rw
Apple Rumored to Sell 71.5M iPhones, Market Cap Up to $700B - http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/155483/apple-rumored-to-sell-715m-iphones-market-cap-up-to-700b

Meanwhile, Samsung are completely bombing...

Samsung Considering Shake-Up in Management - http://online.wsj.com/articles/samsung-considering-shake-up-in-management-1416783847
Galaxy S5 sold 40 percent fewer units than Samsung predicted - http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7273817/samsung-management-shakeup

And Sony aren't doing much better either...

Sony to slash smartphone and TV production in wake of huge losses - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sony-cuts-smartphone-tv-production/
Sony Vows to Overhaul Smartphone Unit - http://online.wsj.com/articles/sony-eyes-strong-playstation4-sales-gains-1416888161

Again, I'm not making an iOS v Android debate. All the flagship phones from the major manufacturers are amazing devices now, but any claim that the iPhone is fading could not be any further from the truth. It has never been more successful.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
There is also no point in starting the debate because every mod on here is a massive Apple fanboy, so what's the point :whistle:

I work for o2 (one of those guys) and the Z3 and Z3 Compact have been selling a shit ton, more than any other phone barring the iPhone 6, but as someone who deals with people buying phones 5/7 days, a vast majority of iPhone users are people who either want the fashion accessory, have had one handed down to them and want something identical, or people who quite simply don't want to piss about buying into an entirely new operating system, which I can't argue with, because I wouldn't want to leave android for the same reasoning.

The people who aren't so tunnel visioned are coming in for the Z3, G3, Note 4 and the M8 is still going strong. If you're an android chap and you want a decent phone ANY of those 4 would be a fantastic choice, the camera, battery life and overall build of the Z3 is fantastic, and you can't go wrong with it tbh. But for me my biggest selling point was it's PS4 remote play feature, which is so decent and works smooth as anything and I am so happy I picked one up.

Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here