Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excuse my honesty but....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, they are saying sorry before they actually do anything, but presumptive isn't it? They should say excuse me, then say thank you when you oblige. Sorry is what you should say when an inconvenience has been caused.

They are causing you an inconvenience by asking you to stand for a moment while they get past.

Thus, "sorry." Saves two separate sentences of excuse me and then thanks or sorry.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
When someone wants to get past you, for example in a supermarket, and they say 'Sorry' and then they make their way by. It's ****ing 'EXCUSE ME' you ****. 'Sorry' is what you say when you accidentally knock into me.

Next time i'll just say "get out the f***ing way".

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I hate the way that so many young women now start virtually every sentence, however mundane the topic, with 'Ohmigod' - followed by a sentence in which every third word is 'like' - ánd spoken in the voice of a 3-year old.

Why do they think that sounding so dumb, ditzy and American is ultra-cool or endearing. To me, it just shouts 'I'm an airhead whose role models are Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian'.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Maybe slightly off-topic, but on a restaurant menu - why is fish or meat invariably described as 'pan-fried'? What else would it be fried in?!

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Never EVER heard this expression, you must watch some trash TV!

Funnily enough I got given a TV set last week, first one I've owned for getting on for ten years. I had the pleasure of skittling through some crap on telly the other night. Something about people on the dole, i think it was said rather a lot on there. I won't be revisiting that one.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
When someone wants to get past you, for example in a supermarket, and they say 'Sorry' and then they make their way by. It's ****ing 'EXCUSE ME' you ****. 'Sorry' is what you say when you accidentally knock into me.
At least they're making some sort of effort, far better than the self-involved tosspots who push through and smash off a couple of trolleys, before blaming everyone else nearby for not immediately moving out of the way for them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At least they're making some sort of effort, far better than the self-involved tosspots who push through and smash off a couple of trolleys, before blaming everyone else nearby for not immediately moving out of the way for them.

people in cars who don't acknowledge when you let them through pisses me off way more than it should. its because people feel anonymous in cars and don't feel the need for manners. like people cutting into queues, happens all the time in cars but you'd never come up to a queue of people standing somewhere and just barge your way in, would you?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Another thing like this is women's use of the word Karma. As an example from Facebook will demonstrate:

Jilted girlfriend can't believe the dirty chuzla stick would do this to me. He said he had to thumb it in for gods sakes
BFF Karma babes, what goes around comes around. Karma, trust me, Karma.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I got pulled up the other day when we were arguing about someone who was being obstructive and a pain in the arse and I said ". Oh come on, play the White man". I had no idea that is now regarded as a racist comment!

I've never heard that expression in my life.

What on earth does it mean?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have not heard that for a number of years. It means - play fair - do the decent thing.

Definitely racist granny.

Cheers. On that basis, I daresay it would be a tad, yes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
'Well basically' just prior to a long winded, drawn out explanation of something or excuse. A ten minute, sleep inducing reply is not 'basically'.

Bugger, thats my standard reply gone west then.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have not heard that for a number of years. It means - play fair - do the decent thing.

Definitely racist granny.

Ah well, I must be a racist then. You can ban me if you want Vicky

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here