Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't we move Christmas to January 25th

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is just not possible.

It would ruin the procession of the haggis, the drinking of good scotch, and the readings of unfathomable Mcpoems.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Showing my nativity here, but isn't actual Christmas sometime round then anyway?
(Really can't be arsed to google it....)

A quick mindboggling google search is now pointing me to 6th Jan, any higher bidders???

Corrected for you.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Gives us all an extra month to prepare as well, always handy. :thumbsup:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
The Russians celebrate New year (starting on Dec 31st), Russian Xmas (Jan 7th) and old Russian New Year (14th January) and don't actually stop in between. so basically it is Dec 31st to Jan 15th non stop being drunk!

You could always choose to follow this schedule than the Christian pinched festival.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Everything before Jesus was born was BC. Everything after is AD. When Jesus was born, it became 0AD. So why isn't new years day on the same day as Christmas Day?

No such thing as that any more. It's now BCE, Before Common Era and CE, Common Era. It's to move the BC and AD due to the fact that it is a Christian dating system, and not all of us believe that stuff.

http://www.islamicfinder.org/Hcal/index.php

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No.

Move it six months, let's have it on June 25th. I've always wanted a Christmas BBQ on the beach, and this way I wouldn't have to fork out on plane fares to Australia.

No.

Hot Christmases are rubbish. It just doesn't feel right. Christmas in Australia is shit.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Everything before Jesus was born was BC. Everything after is AD. When Jesus was born, it became 0AD. So why isn't new years day on the same day as Christmas Day?

BC I understand.
So what's this BCE bollocks I keep hearing? Is it the usual politically correct tosh?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If we moved Xmas to Jan 25, it would basically run for 3 months, from early November to end of Jan.

I'm out.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The original festival / feast was a pre-Christian / Pagan event to celebrate the re-birth of the sun, so it's correct that it's around Dec 22-25 (winter solstice is usually 21-23 Dec). The Christian version was placed 'on top' to replace the pagan version and supplant it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No such thing as that any more. It's now BCE, Before Common Era and CE, Common Era. It's to move the BC and AD due to the fact that it is a Christian dating system, and not all of us believe that stuff.

http://www.islamicfinder.org/Hcal/index.php

inclusive claptrap - why is "common era" acceptable when its not common across all faiths, cultures and nations?

in any case, the real point to not in Lindfield by the Pond's question is that theres no 0AD, it goes 1BC, 1AD. when they created the calendar they hadn't invented 0, there was no concept of it. (hence all the nonsence on whether the millennium started 2000 or 2001). on the other hand when creating their date for Christmas, why the Roman Christians didn't merge the new year is a very good question.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
inclusive claptrap - why is "common era" acceptable when its not common across all faiths, cultures and nations?

in any case, the real point to not in Lindfield by the Pond's question is that theres no 0AD, it goes 1BC, 1AD. when they created the calendar they hadn't invented 0, there was no concept of it. (hence all the nonsence on whether the millennium started 2000 or 2001). on the other hand when creating their date for Christmas, why the Roman Christians didn't merge the new year is a very good question.

Gave them a chance to get away from the in-laws and celebrate NYE with friends.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Don't shoot the messenger

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I blame the Pagans.

But was Jesus really born on December 25 in the first place? Probably not. The Bible doesn’t mention his exact birthday, and the Nativity story contains conflicting clues. For instance, the presence of shepherds and their sheep suggest a spring birth. When church officials settled on December 25 at the end of the third century, they likely wanted the date to coincide with existing pagan festivals honoring Saturn (the Roman god of agriculture) and Mithra (the Persian god of light). That way, it became easier to convince Rome’s pagan subjects to accept Christianity as the empire’s official religion

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/why-is-christmas-celebrated-on-december-25

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Christmas Day 25th January, Self-Assessment Tax Return filing / payment deadline day 31st January. What could possibly go wrong?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm up for moving it this year, I'll be in Canada on 25th January so pretty much guaranteed a white Christmas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here