Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerald...RIP

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
There's a few old cricketers on this board, and anyone who played in the West Sussex leagues thorugh the 80's & 90's, will undoubtedly have been given out by Shoreham CC's 12th Man - Gerald Clark. In fairness we were often victims of his duff decisions too.

Anyway, after years of erroneously raising his index finger towards batsmen, Gerald has himself now been given out. As well as a dodgy umpire he was also a massive Albion and Sussex CCC fan. He didn't get to the Amex very often, but many will remember him from the North Stand and if you ever travelled on the Supporters' club coaches to away games you will have had the pleasure of his company - as he pretty much went everywhere through the 80's & 90's.

He lived for his sport and despite everything life threw at him he was always there for the Albion, Sussex and the teams he umpired for. He truly was one of a kind. RIP.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember Gerald.

As you say, a bit " trigger" but a lovely bloke.

Another great character gone 😟

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Gave me out more than once when I played for Portslade.
All is forgiven, but that was never gonna hit the stumps.....
RIP

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Didn't play against Shoreham so never had the pleasure of being given out by him.

Any other lefthanders out there? Sounds like Gerald was the type who merrily gave us out LBW despite the ball pitching a foot outside legstump...!

"Plumb in front I tell you... hitting halfway up middle..."

RIP.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't play against Shoreham so never had the pleasure of being given out by him.

Any other lefthanders out there? Sounds like Gerald was the type who merrily gave us out LBW despite the ball pitching a foot outside legstump...!

RIP.

If you freaks want to cheat by standing the wrong way round, you deserve all you get.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Again I never played Shoreham but I did go to a lot of away games in the 80s and 90s and remember him from there. As stated, quite a character. RIP.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009

RIP.

Left hand, right hand, cack hand; made no odds to Gerald, anyone was fair game.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
This year's xmas day game in Preston Park will be poorer without him. Although the officials may be more intelligible...

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
As a bowler I benefitted a few times from Gerald's "decisions". He could be merciless.

A character who gave so much of his time to local cricket.

RIP

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
image.jpg

Here he is in full regalia, well his umpire coat. Pic is with Shoreham CC from about 1991.

Last edited:

Cloggie

Feb 21, 2012
He also umpired a lot for Steyning as well in recent times. Bloody awful umpire but always there and happy to do it. Will be a loss to the local cricket scene. RIP.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
View attachment 60354

Here he is in full regalia, well his umpire coat. Pic is with Shoreham CC from about 1991.

Couldn't put any names, but recognise a few of those guys. Didn't the young lad with glasses in the front with glasses play for southwick ?

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Couldn't put any names, but recognise a few of those guys. Didn't the young lad with glasses in the front with glasses play for southwick ?
No, that's John Bareham, you'll know of him. Back row - G Clark, RTune, S Collins, P Shaw, G Cradduck, J Seary, J Simpson, S Bareham. Front row -P Harrocks, J Bareham, D Simpson, N Lee

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Grew up in Upper Beeding at the same time as Gerald so sad too hear this news.He umpired a friendly game I attended on one of my trips over from Oz and was in fine form that day.R.I.P

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Used to stand near him in the north stand years ago. When he started a rant not only did become impossible to understand him those in front got a good shower.

RIP old chap.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Very sad to hear this: the absolute highlight for me of going to watch Sussex over the last several years was listening to Gerald hurl comedic insults at all and sundry!

RIP sir; may you play much more cricket in the CCC in the sky.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Very sad to hear this: the absolute highlight for me of going to watch Sussex over the last several years was listening to Gerald hurl comedic insults at all and sundry!

RIP sir; may you play much more cricket in the CCC in the sky.
His finest moment at Hove was when he strolled out behind Ian Gould who was going for the toss with the oppo captain - the game was live on TV and the watching public were treated to Gerald abusing Gouldy all the way to the middle. The stewards knew better than to try and stop him. As you say, he dished it to many over the years, but 80's seamer Adrian Jones copped the best of Gerald's abuse!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here