Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan chairman to quit if FA finds him guilty of racism

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What is your problem? If someone wants to hang the flag of their country up on their house (in their own country) then who are you to judge them?
OK I'll tell your neighbour it's OK to fly his flags over his windows for a few months, He was a bit worried about what you might say, especially if you wanted to sell your place. I presume you live in a small terrace in a cheap area. I live in a mews property in Hampstead.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
i doubt it , its probably the sort of person who asks for coffee without milk instead of black coffee that's decided that its 'offensive'.

I doubt that. I believe "negro/negroid" has connotations of slavery and "coloured" was a classification under the apartheid system. Both perfectly reasonable objections I'd have thought.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
OK I'll tell your neighbour it's OK to fly his flags over his windows for a few months, He was a bit worried about what you might say, especially if you wanted to sell your place. I presume you live in a small terrace in a cheap area. I live in a mews property in Hampstead.

My neighbour can do as he pleases. And you have no idea where I live, so back off on the **** of the year attempt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes , because I'm in the habit of walking up to total strangers in the street and referring to them by their race, I take it this reply is your substitute for a satisfactory answer.

Put me on ignore, like you have with your main account. I can't be bothered.

Whilst I doubt warren Mitchell is genuinely racist I suspect that the series was trying for laughs by pandering to widely held prejudices at the time and the "point" of the series was hastily decided when these became unfashionable.

Somewhere or other there is an interview with Warren Mitchell where he is talking about Alf Garnett's anti-semitism and the irony arising from the fact that Mitchell is himself Jewish. It's quite obvious from this that Mitchell (and Johnny Speight) were consciously anti-racist in creating the character of Garnett. Part of the beauty of the programme was, of course, the fact that the creators were aware of the fact that some of their audience just didn't get it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Somewhere or other there is an interview with Warren Mitchell where he is talking about Alf Garnett's anti-semitism and the irony arising from the fact that Mitchell is himself Jewish. It's quite obvious from this that Mitchell (and Johnny Speight) were consciously anti-racist in creating the character of Garnett. Part of the beauty of the programme was, of course, the fact that the creators were aware of the fact that some of their audience just didn't get it.

I agree with all that but it's made me think.
Was Speight poking fun at that type of Tory voter and monarchist as well. I'd like to think he was.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
During school, English lit. We were made to study the book to "To kill a Mocking Bird".

I am not sure how many people here have read that book but teaching young children, escpially making them write and talk about the word ****** is highly backwards. It made people more open to say the word publicaly since it was being taught in school.

Mockingbird is only one word, not two.

Dandyman

In London village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgC2_6FNTI

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For what it's worth, given the source, wikipedia says 'negro' started to be considered offensive during the 60s, with Malcolm X (that white liberal!) feeling it was associated "with the long history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination that treated African Americans as second class citizens, or worse."

Unlike the other N-word, it isn't so taboo, with some historical groups using it, and the 2010 US census included it as a classification as people of a certain generation still prefer it to black or Afro/African-American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

A little bit for everyone to claim they are right, and the other side is wrong.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 1m1 minute ago

BREAKING: Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has been charged by the FA, following his comments about Jewish & Chinese people. #SSNHQ

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, could be a worry for Wigan fans.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Dave Whelan: Wigan chairman charged by Football Association

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has been charged by the Football Association over comments he made about Jewish and Chinese people in an interview.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here