Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan chairman to quit if FA finds him guilty of racism

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Dave Whelan says he will resign as Wigan chairman if the Football Association punishes him for the controversy in which Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has labelled him "racist".

The FA's investigation into Whelan's comments about Jewish and Chinese people will be treated "as a priority".

Whelan, who has denied being racist, made the comments while defending his decision to appoint Malky Mackay.

"Should they even suggest I'm guilty I would immediately resign," he said."

Wigan as a whole could be in heaps of trouble.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
To be honest it was always a waiting game till this over opinionated idiot said something too much, pops up on 5live all the time when anything happens to give his view even though it is something that does not involve Wiggin and he will have never often been in that position - talking about issues in champions league etc

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Vincent Tan calling him a racist Eh? It's a sad day when ***** like that feel they can throw mud at people.

I would rather have Whelan as a chairman than that weasel

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Whelan a racist or a stoopid old git who doesn't know when to shut up?

I can help thinking he's guilty of being out of step with the 21st century than anything excessively malicious.

If he pays a hefty price for being stupid then so be it.
No one else to blame but himself.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Look what happened to that NBA franchise owner for using the word negro. Had his franchise taken off him etc. Seems like DW's transgression was on a par, if not worse as it was in a national paper :facepalm:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
To be honest it was always a waiting game till this over opinionated idiot said something too much, pops up on 5live all the time when anything happens to give his view even though it is something that does not involve Wiggin and he will have never often been in that position - talking about issues in champions league etc

Your manager is a dab hand at that as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Look what happened to that NBA franchise owner for using the word negro. Had his franchise taken off him etc. Seems like DW's transgression was on a par, if not worse as it was in a national paper :facepalm:
That's not even close to Donald Sterling's racist transgressions.

Spun Cuppa

That's not even close to Donald Sterling's racist transgressions.
e

I saw a bit on TV where he was recorded talking to his G/F and used the word negro quite a few times. Did the language used get worse then? DW's stereotypical observations on Jews, and saying calling orientals 'chinks' is not racist seems to indicate 'old fashioned' ideas at best, or a scant disregard for fellow human beings at worst...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
e

I saw a bit on TV where he was recorded talking to his G/F and used the word negro quite a few times. Did the language used get worse then? DW's stereotypical observations on Jews, and saying calling orientals 'chinks' is not racist seems to indicate 'old fashioned' ideas at best, or a scant disregard for fellow human beings at worst...
You're gonna need to google him.
He had a huge array of 'male, rich, white, old, American' racist abuses.

There's probably even a thread about him here.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

I can help thinking he's guilty of being out of step with the 21st century than anything excessively malicious.

If he pays a hefty price for being stupid then so be it.
No one else to blame but himself.

Its symptomatic of the world in which we live, there's always someone that's offended these days, no wonder politicians talk so much and say so little. I read what he actually is reported to have said about jewish people and was surprised that it was highlighted so much. Its a bit like saying White Anglo Saxons Protestants control the money markets in the world in this world, that would offend some people but its probably correct.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah check out the thread on here.
For some reason I cant copy and paste the page.
Page 2 on a Donald Sterling search, it shouldn't be to hard to find its titled:-

Committed racist and NBA owner, Donald Sterling.

Spun Cuppa

Yeah check out the thread on here.
For some reason I cant copy and paste the page.
Page 2 on a Donald Sterling search, it shouldn't be to hard to find its titled:-

Committed racist and NBA owner, Donald Sterling.

Cheers for the nod

Just looked on his Wiki and it seems he has some previous in his property dealings, and can't keep his chappy in his trousers

Makes you wonder how he was allowed to own a multiple-racial sports team with a rap sheet like his?

Good old First Amendment it would seem...

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
To be fair, from what I have heard it is just a stereotypical view of an older generation and not a racist opinion. A little misguided but not racist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or both?

end of day, given the situation with Mackay, he should have known to just keep his thoughts to himself. if he follows through on the threat that would suit the FA just fine, as its more than they can do with their own powers.

Spun Cuppa

Look how the Hounds of Hell were unleashed on Suarez for using the Uruguayan for negro, negrete, against the Man Utd player. The FA has a precedent to follow re: words relating to race or colour, so DW is without a paddle...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Times have changed what was acceptable even 10 yrs ago is not now. This was demonstrated to me by my 5 yr old grand daughter reciting eeni, meenI, minei, mow catch a RABBIT by its toe, not what I learnt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here