Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever...

Have you ever called a Chinaman a 'chink'?

• Yes, I have.

Votes: 140 63.1%
  • No, I have not.

Votes: 82 36.9%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Good point. So how come "Yank" is ok, but "Chink" and "Nip" apparently are not? Who decides these things?

im sure there must be a committee somewhere.

Its frowned on in the UK to use the word Pakis,but anyone who has watched American news channels will know they constantly use this word instead of the longer version Pakistanis

This is more to do with the yanks obsession of shortening every conceivable word they can........but i wonder should they censored over here for those with sensitive ears?

im sure there must be a committee somewhere.

Its frowned on in the UK to use the word Pakis,but anyone who has watched American news channels will know they constantly use this word instead of the longer version Pakistanis

This is more to do with the yanks obsession of shortening every conceivable word they can........but i wonder should they censored over here for those with sensitive ears?

Was amazed when I was watching the cricket in Australia when the commentator called the opposition 'the pakis'

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I call my wife chink sometimes. She is one though so I guess it's ok. Seven years of marriage suggests she doesn't get offended. She calls me fat though

You can't argue with FACTS Tim.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I call my wife chink sometimes. She is one though so I guess it's ok. Seven years of marriage suggests she doesn't get offended. She calls me fat though

But a) you're not fat anymore because you've lost over a stone, and b) you used to call her a NIP which was incorrect.

So calling her a CHINK is progress. At least one of you is getting something right.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely calling someone a 'Scot' will become illegal soon just like calling a person from Pakistan a 'Paki' , what is this country coming to :facepalm:

Now we can get into a semiotic debate.

A word in itself inherently has a meaning that is attributed to it. That associated meaning is what can cause the offence not the structure of the word itself. As Saussure would say, the linguistic sign composed of the signifier and the signified.

So Paki is a shortened version of Pakistani, but what does that shortening signify culturally, socially, historically? If it has become used as a derogatory term to signify racial prejudice, then the word itself contains it's own symbolism beyond the fact it is merely a shortened word - hence in that context it is completely different from Scot being shortened from Scottish.

The same can of course be said of '******', harmlessly a derivative of the latin word 'niger' meaning colour black. However, it is clear what that word came to signify and why it's use is clearly derogatory, and filled with historical and cultural hatred. The evolution of semiotics is also evident in the apparent re-adoption of the word by the black community, often as a term of friendship or casual greeting. Language is always evolving and strangely nuanced.

The symbolism of words is and the power they hold is to be honest a fascinating subject. As Roland Barthez said “I am interested in language because it wounds or seduces me.”

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
37 too 24 at the moment however it would be interesting to see the ages of the Yes & No's, one would assume that the older generation say 35+ have voted Yes and the more educated younger people here no NSC would vote No.

which does not mean that us over 35+ are inherently racist, just a product of the time and surroundings which does not make it right, but has to be taken into account when it was on tv, at home and even in school I heard teachers use the N word.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always picture people who refer to Chinese food as a chinky as Wayne & Waynetta slob types, sitting around on a manky couch with smelly dogs and kids with runny noses up past their bedtime all over the gaff.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I do yes... But I wouldn't say it to ones face as it's obviously a term that they find offensive.

Saying that, I'm not an easily offended type so I find people getting their tails up about this sort of thing that's not even relevant to them utter nonsense, but that's just me.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Now we can get into a semiotic debate.

A word in itself inherently has a meaning that is attributed to it. That associated meaning is what can cause the offence not the structure of the word itself. As Saussure would say, the linguistic sign composed of the signifier and the signified.

So Paki is a shortened version of Pakistani, but what does that shortening signify culturally, socially, historically? If it has become used as a derogatory term to signify racial prejudice, then the word itself contains it's own symbolism beyond the fact it is merely a shortened word - hence in that context it is completely different from Scot being shortened from Scottish.

The same can of course be said of '******', harmlessly a derivative of the latin word 'niger' meaning colour black. However, it is clear what that word came to signify and why it's use is clearly derogatory, and filled with historical and cultural hatred. The evolution of semiotics is also evident in the apparent re-adoption of the word by the black community, often as a term of friendship or casual greeting. Language is always evolving and strangely nuanced.

The symbolism of words is and the power they hold is to be honest a fascinating subject. As Roland Barthez said “I am interested in language because it wounds or seduces me.”

:bowdown: Fair play ! That Roland bloke seems pretty intelligent and has hit the nail on the head .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What was ok in the past, is seen offensive by many today. Not sure why people would want to use the word chinky anyway, unless out of habit...
My father referred to my mrs as that 'spade' but was always generous towards her, and never nasty about it...it was a term he grew up with.
...and yes, as a kid, I used the word chinky..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes. And I still would now. Chink chink chink. I also use wop. Wop wop wop. There's a wop on my team at work. A greasy little wop (we call him it to his face so it's OK).

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I grew up and went to school with a mate who is half caste and we called him Woggy and I still see him now and call him Woggy as that is how everybody knew him in those days and there is no racial intent then as there is now. We are now both in our late 50's.
I'm the same age and at school (Upper Sixth) the only Asian lad joined us and was similarly called Woggy with no offence being taken by him or intended by the rest of us. He was well-respected too cos he was a great cricketer. Had he been a white foreigner, say a white South African, he would also have been called Woggy. It's just the way it was. No malice intended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here