Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did the ALLLLLLLBBBIIIIIERRRN ALLBIIIERRRN chant start?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first time I recall hearing it, was the 0-0 draw at the madeski, reading. This woukd be about 12 years ago. We nearly nicked it at the end but our goal was disallowed.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It was definitely sung at Withdean, and I'm pretty sure we sung it at Gillingham.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yeah, I don't quite understand this 'started in the 2000s' bit. I never remember hearing it at Withdean and thinking "That's new". It may have fallen into abeyance a bit but I'm 99.99% certain we used it at the Goldstone in the 1970s

So am I.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A good test would be to go over the old cup final footage, I wouldn't mind betting its not in there.....
It might well have fallen into disuse by the Cup Final though, along with many, many others. The thing is to work out when Liverpool first started using it and then we'd have followed suit (the bit about us picking it up from the TV is definitely true). The thing is (and why I said only 99.99%) is I can't definitely remember singing it, whereas I can remember singing (off the top of my head) You'll never walk alone, Daisy, Knees up Mother Brown, Molly Malone, **** 'em all, 2,4,6,8, Bow legged chicken, Go left, etc. If those come back someone in the future will say "When did we first start singing 'You'll never walk alone'? Was it 2016?"

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Early 2000s.
In the latter Goldstone years we sung AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on in the same way Liverpool sung LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool.

Liverpool then started the Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool, Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool chant with the elongated first syllable and we followed suit.

This is the right answer.

Personally I prefer the old-school Goldstone style, sung the same way as 'Going Up'.....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yay! That's currently about 5-2 to the 'Goldstone days' team! :clap:

EDIT: Maybe I should say 'Old Goldstone days' team as people don't seem to recall it being used in the final years.
You old gits are getting confused about different chants...

The slow chant we sing now is not the same as the slow chant we used to sing at The Goldstone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't ever remember it at the Goldstone. I remember the "here we go" version with clapping and (among others) "come and join us over 'ere", "you're going home in a Sussex Ambulance", "PC Beard My Lord". "and do they smell" and "celery". But never heard the dirge version till Withdean. Was I stood in the wrong place? (I would think many would say from the songs I remember I was stood in exactly the right place :whistle: )

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
1970. No chanting or replica shirts before then, just rattles and abuse. ( I've no idea really)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd say it really took off in a big way at and in the years following the Play-Off Final in Cardiff. Which is a shame because it's a bloody awful dirge compared to the older, faster Albion chant which created a much better atmosphere.

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
I remember belting out the slow version at The Goldstone. It was more 'Aaaaaal-baaaaaay-eeeeeeern' back then, though. I know that because I've been too sad to sing at a match since the first season at The Priestfield.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A good test would be to go over the old cup final footage, I wouldn't mind betting its not in there.....

It won't be there because it was not a dull, boring game where hardly a soul was singing. Back at the Goldstone it only ever came out when we were playing poorly and the atmosphere had all but evaporated.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It won't be there because it was not a dull, boring game where hardly a soul was singing. Back at the Goldstone it only ever came out when we were playing poorly and the atmosphere had all but evaporated.

Sometimes got sung after the West Stand could be heard all around The Goldstone piping up with "Come On Brighton , Come On Brighton , Come On Brighton"

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sometimes got sung after the West Stand could be heard all around The Goldstone piping up with "Come On Brighton , Come On Brighton , Come On Brighton"

Not forgetting the other West Stand Classics, "Come on you Blues" and "Oh My, What a Referee!"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I 1st heard it sung by Orient fans (their version, of course) & I believe we nicked it from them.

Theirs was more of a hurried effort,

OrRee Ent, OrRee Ent[finishing high]
OrRee Ent, OrRee Ent[ [finishing low]
Repeat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here