Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP MP number 2 coming up.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Im guessing you had something to do with the regeneration of it? as you seem to view this small area through rose tinted glasses.

I've no axe to grind regarding Greens/The Level/Lord B or whatever but I've live just a few minute's walk from the Level, have done since 1996 and I've probably walked across the Level and back almost every day of those 18 or 19 years so speak with some experience. Yes, the Level used to be run-down although I don't think I recognise the description you gave of a place tolerant of drug-taking and a no-go area. It was full of street drinkers in certain places and it was seedy especially around the children's playground to the south.

The place is now regenerated beyond belief, this and last summer the children's area was packed every day with families - some days it was rammed and the landscaping is safe, clean, bright and fun. The cafe does a roaring trade every day and the children's area in Autumn is now a bit like the quiet area at the top of Queen's Park.

They've sorted out the drainage in the east side of the green and dog walkers and joggers and students playing footie/frisbee mix with others reading, chatting. Yes - there's still street drinkers but it's part of a wider problem that Brighton has and until we deal with that you will always see them - although I will add that I rarely see or receive much harassment from them - they tend to argue amongst themselves.

The skateboard park is the jewel in the crown, located centrally and used all the while it's lit this makes the park safer for everyone too. And there appears to be a very open and friendly crowd there. You go down on Saturday and Sunday mornings and you'll see 5 and 6 year olds on scooters or skates or boards alongside late teens and older. The only complaints I have are the drainage around the skate park is bad - although they fixed the worst of it and the other moan is that the park is only just recovering it's lush green grass after the last funfair was there and dug up huge parts of it.

In my opinion, it's changed beyond recognition and with the wonderful redevelopment of the Open Market the place has been given a new lease of life. Full marks to whoever commissioned these changed, regardless of their political persuasion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It'll be interesting to see how much UKIP's support holds up in the general election. I've seen a lot of commentators suggest that ukip wont be able to repeat these numbers next year, but I'm not so sure, they seem to really be able to exploit the general mood against the establishment.

This is the most interesting issue. My guess is that UKIP are benefitting from a perfect storm of the European economy being in the doldrums, the EU doors recently being opened to Eastern migrants meaning the short term undercutting of local workers has just started, and most importantly, three utterly woeful leaders running their parties (collectively, the worst I've ever seen by a MILE), all completely clueless on how to deal with UKIP.

To be clear about this, the majority of MPs support us staying in the EU, and I suspect the same goes for the electorate or it least will do if they are given all the facts. I cannot comprehend why the pro EU lobby haven't stated a referendum date, and taken the debate by the scruff of the neck. Then when that referendum was comprehensively won in two years from now, we wouldn't hear from Nigel Farage and his merry band of intolerant disaffected Tories and smattering of bigots ever again*.

*yes I KNOW that doesn't account for all of their support, but there are more of those types in UKIP than anywhere else.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ah but its only the daily 'fail' or daily 'hate' or one of the other names I've seen you call it before , strange that you would quote it as a source now .

You have never seen me call it either of those names. Youre a liar. Feel free to highlight an example of the clearly many examples.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You have never seen me call it either of those names. Youre a liar. Feel free to highlight an example of the clearly many examples.

*ahem*

Ive just been banned from the new EDL page (previous pages hacked by muslim teenagers)...
Ive just spent the last hour laughing my arse of due to 'there will be 77 million extra immigrants arriving in the Uk in the next few years'......slightly different from the Daily Fail headline of ...'High immigration could drive Britain's population to 77million by 2035'

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ah but its only the daily 'fail' or daily 'hate' or one of the other names I've seen you call it before , strange that you would quote it as a source now .

I apologise Fred. It seems I have used it, but I suspect, not as often as you seem to think.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No-one here has suggested that you use it a lot except you, you said you had NEVER used the phrases and that he was a liar. He clearly isn't. Maybe an apology to him?

I think 'the daily 'fail' or daily 'hate' or one of the other names I've seen you call it before' seems to suggest otherwise I think. Sorry.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I think 'the daily 'fail' or daily 'hate' or one of the other names I've seen you call it before' seems to suggest otherwise I think. Sorry.

It doesn't , if that was the case I'd have said ' or one of the other name I've seen you use lots of times before'.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Misleading thread title. I was expecting comments on the UKIP MP supplying fuel for that poo powered bus in Bristol.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
A democratic vote and a democratic result which is what a lot of people on here and the country believe in . People in Rochester and Strood have made a decision , lets stand by that and respect it ! Believe it or not these people can think for themselves even though some on here don't think they can !

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You were quoting it as a source , it's either credible or it isn't , which is it ?

I could quote many sources regarding BNP members infiltrating the UKIP membership, and candidate lists.
I think its a shit paper, but right wingers seem to believe it. Giving it as a source means it will not be dismissed as quickly as if I gave the Guardian as a source.
Farage would have said something by now if the article was incorrect no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here