Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we have an NSC answer bank? My 1st question is....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
A combination of coastal geology and LONGSHORE DRIFT.

Incorrect, it is the man made structures along coast that are stopping the Longshore drift.
Shoreham harbour stops the move east of the pebbles, the council carries millions of tons to Southwick Beach where the pebbles continue to reinforce Hove & Brighton beach. However, Brighton Marina pops up to stop the further move eastwards and so areas around Saltdean, Newhaven (Harbour again) & Seaford have had mans help to reinforce with additional pebbles where appropriate with some areas left alone

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Incorrect, it is the man made structures along coast that are stopping the Longshore drift.
Shoreham harbour stops the move east of the pebbles, the council carries millions of tons to Southwick Beach where the pebbles continue to reinforce Hove & Brighton beach. However, Brighton Marina pops up to stop the further move eastwards and so areas around Saltdean, Newhaven (Harbour again) & Seaford have had mans help to reinforce with additional pebbles where appropriate with some areas left alone

Not sure about 'millions' of tonnes tbh?

I once worked on an earthmoving job where we moved 3/4 million metres @ roughly 1.3333 tonne/m3, which took eleven months of twelve hour days using about ten 8 wheelers and six Moxeys per day ???

Thousands of tonnes perhaps...

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why are they replacing so many street lights in towns across Sussex? I can understand that the light fixtures themselves might need updating from time to time, but why a completely new pole as well? Looks to me like another waste of taxpayers' money.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why are they replacing so many street lights in towns across Sussex? I can understand that the light fixtures themselves might need updating from time to time, but why a completely new pole as well? Looks to me like another waste of taxpayers' money.

i wish i could shed some light on it.....

Canine pee. It rots the bases of street lights and they fall over and kill people.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Was it one of the older incarnations? The current Magnus Volk bus is one of the shiny new hybrid ones, but there was an original fleet model with the same name.

Going by this, it looks like some bus company in the west country is buying up the old Brighton & Hove Buses fleet and doing minimal re-branding to turn them into the Nailsea to Bristol Express :ohmy: Maria Fitzherbert will be spinning in her grave, I'm sure. Whoever she was.

[tweet]267957634215317504[/tweet]

It was the original one, which was flogged to Bristol years ago. Which is a bit ironic, considering the history of Brighton and Hove Buses' fleet, but I don't want to seem too much like a nerd, so I'm not going to elaborate! If you know what I'm referring to, you're a wonderful person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here