Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Band Aid 30' anyone else feeling underwhelmed?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Bono takes some unwarrented stick on this issue. He pays all his personel taxes, it turns out cheaper for U2 the buisness to be run in Holland. Does anyone here want to pay less taxes if it's leagal ? He tries to work for good causes when he doesn't need to being a rich rock star. He could be like other rich rock stars and just enjoy sex, drugs rock n roll lifesyle, would he be more popular ?

If he donated half of his fortune think of the difference that would make instead of begging others to cough up

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If he donated half of his fortune think of the difference that would make instead of begging others to cough up
I think cancelling 3rd world debt to rich western countries is far more than what Bono is worth. He may well contribute his own money, but chooses not to release details of this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bono takes some unwarrented stick on this issue. He pays all his personel taxes, it turns out cheaper for U2 the buisness to be run in Holland. Does anyone here want to pay less taxes if it's leagal ? He tries to work for good causes when he doesn't need to being a rich rock star. He could be like other rich rock stars and just enjoy sex, drugs rock n roll lifesyle, would he be more popular ?

Im certain he'd be much more popular if he just concentrated on spunking all his cash on sex and drugs and rock and roll.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Yes...well said! I'm not wild about U2, but I do think Bono gets a lot of unfair flack, in the face of which he retains a fair degree of dignity. You are right, perversely if he kept his gob shut on social/moral issues and took drugs and drove cars into swimming pools he would be far more popular.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Geldof slagging Adele for not joining his circus earns him no respect from me :nono:

Adele is just another one that believes in all her own hype, I find her voice boring and if find her irritating as a person, although everyone I speak too appears to like her.

Refusing to be involved for the rumoured reasons though is out of order though IMO, I thought Geldofs speech was very moving though, despite some people's ignorance this sort of thing can only ever be good - certain people spin negatives off of everything now.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've never met any person from Ebola anyway so why should I help them ?

Whilst not the funniest thing I've ever read, your comment should not have been pilloried by some of the precious, sanctimonious dullards who pollute this site with their pious tripe.

....in my opinion.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If poverty killed wealthy people Bono would do something about it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not a big fan of the change of lyrics.

However, to feel better, let's have a look at the 1989 Band Aid II lineup:

Bananarama
Big Fun
Bros
Cathy Dennis
D Mob
Deuce
Jason Donovan
Kevin Godley
Glen Goldsmith
Kylie Minogue
The Pasadenas
Chris Rea
Cliff Richard
Jimmy Somerville
Sonia
Lisa Stansfield
Technotronic
Wet Wet Wet

Cathy Dennis :drool:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's not bad...but it's just not the original. I wasn't born when the original was released (I sashayed out 8 months later) but it's still a strong song that each rehash hasn't managed yet to equal.

It might also be that I'm not a fan of many of the artists appearing on there. I think the only person on there that I own music from is Guy Garvey...but then he's splendid. Utterly splendid.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bono takes some unwarrented stick on this issue. He pays all his personel taxes, it turns out cheaper for U2 the buisness to be run in Holland.

When you say it's cheaper let's be very clear about what that means - we're not talking about running costs, we're talking about tax liabilities. They run their business through the Netherlands solely because it saves them tax and thus deprives Ireland of tens of millions of Euros. It certainly pees off his fellow Irishman - it prompted one of their biggest unions to condemn the move where 1 in 4 live in poverty.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/12/bono-praises-benefits-ireland-tax-rates-corporations

Does anyone here want to pay less taxes if it's leagal ?

No, but there's a social contract in place that if you want to look after the vulnerable, the unfortunate, the sick, the elderly, if you want a safe and stable country then everybody has to pay a fair share of that. Millions of ordinary Irish men and women do that, the billionaire Bono chooses not to.

He could be like other rich rock stars and just enjoy sex, drugs rock n roll lifesyle, would he be more popular ?

He could either pay his fair share of taxes or stop sermonising his hypocrisy and he'd be more popular too.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Here's the full list.

One Direction - Hate them, but no bigger pop act around today.
Bob Geldof - A given
Sinead O'Connor - Huge. Amazing.
Ed Sheeran - Massive. Very good.
Ellie Goulding - Big. Very good
Sam Smith - Very "now" and very good.
Rita Ora - Didn't know who she was until I googled. Meh.
Bono - Tonight thank god it's them instead of you.
Chris Martin - Massive. Loves a big of charity work.
Jessie Ware - No idea at all.
Paloma Faith - Current. Good.
Emeli Sande - Major PR event? Check. Emeli Sande? Check. (she is good though)
Bastille - Current. Big
Elbow - Nice inclusion. Love em.
Midge Ure - Given
Olly Murs - Crap. Utter utter crap.
Roger Taylor - Big.
Seal - Big. Great voice.
Clean Bandit - One (colossal) hit wonders.

Overall, I think it's a very good lineup. People will always compare it to the old one, but it's for people today, now. Young and old. I think Bob's done a decent job of getting together a decent set of artists. Shame Adelle isn't in the list and why the hell Olly Murs is anywhere near that list I have no idea.

But like an earlier poster said, you don't have to like it. Just buy it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is I know for a fact that Geldof and Nobo were still trying to enlist people right up until the day of the recording, bit harsh on Adele when A. I highly doubt it was HER phone number they had, rather than a P.A., and B. Chances are she wasn't available/too late notice.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Excellent commentary from Buzzer.
We are all capable of acts of hypocrisy but when we live it in full gaze of the public whom we have chosen to provide our living do we have the right to object (or others object on our behalf) when it is highlighted? Bono and Geldof are no more saints than you or I despite the PR to the contrary. It is after all you and I who are being entreated to actually purchase the song.
As previously stated, I shall not be buying but I will continue to contribute to reputable charities.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Adele is just another one that believes in all her own hype, I find her voice boring and if find her irritating as a person, although everyone I speak too appears to like her.

Refusing to be involved for the rumoured reasons though is out of order though IMO, I thought Geldofs speech was very moving though, despite some people's ignorance this sort of thing can only ever be good - certain people spin negatives off of everything now.
Don't worry Adele is the new Duffy overated as soon to dissapear from the music world.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Artistically I would suggest the original will never be beaten.

The 1989 Band Aid II SAW version was alright, and whether people like it or not, it WAS reflective of the selling artists of it's time.

Band Aid 20 is ok, but Bono shouldn't have reprised his line as he destroys his own legend therein... and the song doesn't merit a rap interlude.

Band Aid 30 is what it is - a collection of the current singles/downloads sellers, and it's all for charity which usually is a good thing, so I hope it does well. And it might dent the X-Factor ownership of the Christmas chart.

In other news, am I the only one who cannot stand Ellie Goulding's voice? For some reason it really grates with me...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The idea was great in it's day but now they're flogging a dead horse. I'm somewhat uncomfortable seeing such a campaign led by two tax avoiders ( one of whom as support how Amazon lowers it's tax bill ). Yes it's a worthwhile cause and they will probably make a few quid but I suspect it will be a drop in the ocean compared to government and DEC funds. If memory serves me correctly there was some reports of a large chunk of the Live Aid and Band Aid money being gobbled up by running costs ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here