Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Germany warns Uefa may quit Fifa if World Cup report not published"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"The president of the German Football League has warned that Uefa’s 54 member nations could take the ultimate step of quitting Fifa if Michael Garcia’s report into World Cup bidding is not published in full.

Dr Reinhard Rauball laid bare the tensions within Fifa over the split between the ethics committee judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, and Garcia, the US attorney who heads the investigatory arm and spent 18 months probing the race for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Garcia has disowned Eckert’s summary of his 430-page report, which effectively cleared Russia and Qatar.

“The result was a breakdown in communication, and it has shaken the foundations of Fifa in a way I’ve never experienced before,” said Rauball.

“As a solution, two things must happen. Not only must the decision of the ethics committee be published, but Mr Garcia’s bill of indictment too, so it becomes clear what the charges were and how they were judged,” he told the German website kicker.de.

“Additionally, the areas that were not evaluated [in the report] and whether that was justified [should be published]. It must be made public. That is the only way Fifa can deal with the complete loss of credibility.

He said that if the report was not published in full – and Eckert has already said that he will not do that, while Fifa argues it cannot intervene – then Uefa should consider its own position within Fifa. “If this doesn’t happen and the crisis is not resolved in a credible manner, you have to entertain the question of whether you are still in good hands with Fifa,” Rauball added. “One option that would have to bear serious consideration is certainly that Uefa leaves Fifa.”

Time for England to follow?

Excellent news, lets have full openness and disclosure of the Garcia report. This would also put our FA in to a much more favourable light compared to the current situation where we are seen as being the bad boys because we played by FIFA's shady rules.

They would have to resign and then form a completely new association and all of the clubs would have to agree or they couldnt play football against anybody. The refs would also have to leave as they would have no officials, the leagues would all have to leave. Existing rules do not permit affiliated teams to play against non affiliated teams and the same with officials. It would be a complete break down and change of football as we know it.
... which is precisely why it's a good idea.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I'd like to think so, but isn't Platini in Blatter's pocket? Hopefully Germany can exert some pressure on him.

I don't think he is. I think there was a falling out. Blatter broke a promise to Platini about supporting the latters bid to take over his job in the last FIFA election. Blatter changed his mind, decided to cling onto power, discredited his only opponent (getting him banned from football?) and staged a farce of an election where everyone had to turn up and choose whether to vote for Sepp, Sepp or Sepp. A lot of people (the Germans and England amongst others) abstained.

Platini should grab this opportunity by the balls.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They would have to resign and then form a completely new association and all of the clubs would have to agree or they couldnt play football against anybody. The refs would also have to leave as they would have no officials, the leagues would all have to leave. Existing rules do not permit affiliated teams to play against non affiliated teams and the same with officials. It would be a complete break down and change of football as we know it.

Are you posting against all this happening? If this were to come about then it is just possible that we can feel good about World Football again.

You don't just stick with a hugely corrupt system because it would be complicated to change.

Fight the Power!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Not entirely out of the question , this could be the renaissance of football as we know it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd like to think so, but isn't Platini in Blatter's pocket? Hopefully Germany can exert some pressure on him.

Platini would like Blatter's job. Frankly, if Uefa leaves, then the other major football powers (mainly South American) will have to follow and form a new worldwide football body, which Platini would head. You couldn't have a World Cup without Germany, Holland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, England.

Blatter's power base is in Africa and the Far East, so they might remain loyal to a rump Fifa organisation for a while until the new body invited them into their organisation.

The difficulty might be Russia being threatened by Fifa with losing the 2018 World Cup if Uefa leaves. But if Uefa says that Russia can host its first major finals, with Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Chile invited as guest nations, then I think Putin and co would come round.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Nice to see Germany speaking for Europe. Just what they've always wanted.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sounds the ideal solution to me :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously we would if the whole of Uefa secedes from Fifa, which is what Germany are saying.
I presume Germany can't speak for the whole of UEFA. The English FA should already be having secret meetings with Germany to try and get this done.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe it would be a bad idea but one that many associations would say they will support until the crunch comes and a few could be left high and dry when the assumed support doesnt materialise.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
This situation is crying out for an organisation such as UEFA to challange FIFA and once and for all clear out the seemingly corrupt FIFA members and put football's governing body back on the straight and narrow. So please UEFA if you're going to talk the talk, then you must walk the walk.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think Dr Rauball would have made this statement without being aware of the position of others within UEFA.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
A change to football as we know it...sounds pretty good to me.

I support the revolution.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think Dr Rauball would have made this statement without being aware of the position of others within UEFA.
I'm not so sure, but I hope you're right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do not believe it would be a bad idea but one that many associations would say they will support until the crunch comes and a few could be left high and dry when the assumed support doesnt materialise.
No problem with that. How do you think the African and South American countries allied to Blatter's corrupt association will react when find their best players are unavailable for the World Half-a Cup in Qatar because they've all been outlawed by FIFA for playing in the PL or the Bundesliga (whose clubs won't release them anyway, having between now and 2022 agreed amongst themselves that anyone coming in from outside wanting a mega pay day will have a contract with a no release clause in it; if you pay them, they will come and all that)?

If the German FA can pull this off, I for one will quite happily hum a couple of verses of Deutschland Uber Alles (quietly).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Good on Dr Raubell, and let's hope that the words will be backed up by actions if push comes to shove.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Would you be able to get away with a simple name change,like this Wimbledon FC as to AFC Wimbledon ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here