Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oyster explained

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Country bumkin needs help on the London underground.
Need to go from London Bridge to Bond St (for Hyde Park) and back. Adding all areas to my train ticket is £10 but I see a single journey using an Oyster card is £2.20. Can I buy an Oyster card and load it only with £5. Reading up it looks like I need to put £10 minimum. My trips to the big smoke are few and far between.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I believe your Debit card has the same benefits as Oyster.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A "contactless" debit card can be used on the tube. Remember to tap in and tap out otherwise the system cannot work out the journey you've made and charges you £8.60.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you do not use the Underground much as stated do it contactless with a debit card, alternatively I think it is £10 minimum on Oyster to start but you can top up with £5

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
try adding just zone 1 travel card to your ticket, thats all you need.

also as i recall you can buy the oysters at the station/vending machines for £5 with that much credit.

I have an Oyster card, a contractless debit card, two contractless credit cards, a Key card issued by Southern Rail, and a wallet full of cash and small change.

Card payments are now so easy and available in so many outlets that I am finding it increasingly irritating to be carrying cash around. Does anyone on NSC have any smart ideas for getting rid of unwanted cash?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I have an Oyster card, a contractless debit card, two contractless credit cards, a Key card issued by Southern Rail, and a wallet full of cash and small change.

Card payments are now so easy and available in so many outlets that I am finding it increasingly irritating to be carrying cash around. Does anyone on NSC have any smart ideas for getting rid of unwanted cash?

donate it to St Barnabas Hospice in memory of my recently departed dad....(and blackpool fan)! grin

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thanks guys. My debit card is not contactless so no good. I'll have a look to see if I can get an Oyster card from a major train station. Online it says preloaded with £5 but then you have to buy a further £5.
Thanks for your help.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I was in London the other week. I bought a day s travel card for £11.40.
The benefit is that although its the same as having an Oyster card. The oyster card will charge you for every journey you make. The travel card is paid for and that's it you can't be charged anymore that day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was in London the other week. I bought a day s travel card for £11.40.
The benefit is that although its the same as having an Oyster card. The oyster card will charge you for every journey you make. The travel card is paid for and that's it you can't be charged anymore that day.

the oyster is capped and stops charging once you hit the day travel card rate.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
the oyster is capped and stops charging once you hit the day travel card rate.

I was never sure if there was a break even point where once you exceed X amount of journeys a day pass was better value than an Oyster. Thanks for clearing that up, glad I finally took the plunge and jumped on the Oyster bandwagon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here