Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Chicksen out on loan...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Gillingham will do well out of this.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think the key is that it will give him game time and hopefully improve his confidence and fitness for when he is called upon. Having to come into challenging Championship football in a struggling side for the odd game is not ideal and I would have thought this will help.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Chicksen will never be a championship player. In fact he wasn't much cop for MK Dons at League One.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
This just shows how the loan system is ruining football and pushing up wages. Really, Bennett is a championship level player on premiership wages and Chicksen is a League 1 player on Championship wages. Ludicrous.

He's gone back to a lower club than we picked him up from - that's a sure sign it's failed for all parties. Best to move him on in January.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He's gone back to a lower club than we picked him up from - that's a sure sign it's failed for all parties.

If Gillingham were after a player in that position and we were happy to let him go for a short period it doesn't mean its a failure - it means he gets (hopefully) regular matches in his stint to stay sharp for if and when he is called upon. It doesn't matter if he goes to an L1 or L2 club, it's not a 'sure sign he's failed'.

If Gillingham were after a player in that position and we were happy to let him go for a short period it doesn't mean its a failure - it means he gets (hopefully) regular matches in his stint to stay sharp for if and when he is called upon. It doesn't matter if he goes to an L1 or L2 club, it's not a 'sure sign he's failed'.

He hasn't been able to bridge the gap between L1 and Champ football. So it completely matters he is getting more experience in the less competitive waters at the lower end of League 1 when we picked him up having had plenty of experience in a promotion chasing team.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He hasn't been able to bridge the gap between L1 and Champ football. So it completely matters he is getting more experience in the less competitive waters at the lower end of League 1 when we picked him up having had plenty of experience in a promotion chasing team.

I get that we want him to play at as high a level as possible to aid his progression, but it may be that no team other than Gillingham were looking for an LB or a short term loan - i doubt that we offered him to clubs and no-one wanted him - just that Gillingham want an LB and think he's a good fit. I don't know if he's got enough about him to become our first choice LB in the next few years but him getting matches under his belt in the first team is better than him sitting around our reserves not getting any matches.

Besides, it's only for a month initially. We can hope he comes back a better player...probably not, but we can hope.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In checking to see if Chicksen is playing, I noticed Leyton Orient have signed Andrea Dossena! What a signing at league 1 level, but more to the point - how much are Orient investing in the squad?! Their team line up today was assembled at a not insignificant cost.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Chris Birchall sitting on the bench for Port Vale, Calvin Andrew starting for Rochdale. Swindon haven't got Yaser Kasim in the squad, but they've got both Anton Rodgers and George Barker on the bench, Adam El-Abd sat on the bench for Bristol City in that game as well. Stephen Dobbie is starting for Fleetwood and finally, Jimmy McNulty and Jake Wright are both playing for Bury and Oxford respectively.

It's not all that long ago that signing some of those players was deemed relatively good business. Only Jimmy McNulty would get in our side now in my opinion, he is a far better player than to be playing for Bury in League 2.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I concur, the boy has pace but seems to loose his mojo when he steps over the half way line. Loads of potential though.

I'm a bit torn on Chicksen. I agree with your comments about his pace, I just think he seems to lack strength and too often loses composure when it promising advanced positions

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Chris Birchall sitting on the bench for Port Vale, Calvin Andrew starting for Rochdale. Swindon haven't got Yaser Kasim in the squad, but they've got both Anton Rodgers and George Barker on the bench, Adam El-Abd sat on the bench for Bristol City in that game as well. Stephen Dobbie is starting for Fleetwood and finally, Jimmy McNulty and Jake Wright are both playing for Bury and Oxford respectively.

It's not all that long ago that signing some of those players was deemed relatively good business. Only Jimmy McNulty would get in our side now in my opinion, he is a far better player than to be playing for Bury in League 2.

Brezovan has started for Tranmere and Dicker for Carlisle as well, Like you I'm very surprised McNulty is playing in league 2 I thought he was better than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here