Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The new Sainsbury's Christmas ad

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Anyone complaining about this advert, please **** off. Thanks.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
And the Pianist was designed to make money for a rapist if you strip both down to the basics. Is that better?

I had no idea Ched Evans had anything to do with that film.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But then anyone who makes a film about the World Wars is doing to make money? Like Spielberg and Polanski with their holocaust movies. The bloke who did the poppies in the tower will make a load of money from them as well as raising his profile ten-fold.

But then a war film is something I may actually decide to pay to go and see.

Sainsburys are just pushing a load of highly sanitised, schmaltzy, soft-focus wartime imagary on primetime TV in the hope that I'll go and buy my spuds and mince pies at one of their stores.

Whats next - the holocaust, brought to you by Iceland ?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Not sure I'm overly comfortable with using tales from the WWI trenches to flog groceries to us, considering the young men portrayed in this rather saccharine, airbrushed portrayal were probably lying dead in the mud a few days later. But if it helps Sainsburys win the supermarket wars this Christmas then I suppose they'll consider it job done.

Yep completely agree with you.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

So, Sainsbury's make an advert for a chocolate bar, a chocolate bar that will raise money for the RBL when purchased from Sansburys.

But they can't tell you where to buy it from in case it upsets some of the more sensitive people in the world.

Righto.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
So, Sainsbury's make an advert for a chocolate bar, a chocolate bar that will raise money for the RBL when purchased from Sansburys.

But they can't tell you where to buy it from in case it upsets some of the more sensitive people in the world.

Righto.

The advert is for Sainsbury's. not just the chocolate bar.

The amount raised for RBL is miniscule compared to the ad spend.

But I basically agree with you.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The advert is for Sainsbury's. not just the chocolate bar.

The amount raised for RBL is miniscule compared to the ad spend.

But I basically agree with you.

To some extent the advert is 'advertising' the RBL as well

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Got to feel like some people go through life nowadays looking for something to be offended by and moan about. This is going to make the RBL millions upon millions of pounds yet some people pick on a few technicalities.

Ultimately it's probably a glamourised version of what it was really like and yes sainsburys are advertising themselves at the same time, we know that they are a company after all, but the message overall from the advert is a good one and can only be a good thing in that it raises awareness and all profits go to a very worthwhile cause. Incredible that people are sad enough that there were complaints made to OFCOM about it - pathetic.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Whats next - the holocaust, brought to you by Iceland ?

This is exactly the point, I think.

A sentimental ad for a new Argos catalogue which featured a family being separated after arriving entering a concentration camp set to a slow, acoustic guitar version of Can't Smile Without You by Barry Manilow would no doubt trigger an emotional reaction in those that watched it, and raise some awareness of the world's worst crime against humanity. During episodes of IACGMOOH.

But there's no question that the motivation for large grocery chains starting to deploy fail-safe emotional triggers should be borne in mind, IMHO. Of course everyone likes to make money but - call me old-fashioned - I personally think there is actually a difference in the motivating factors between artists making films or songs about WW1, say, and a large, listed grocery chain deploying it to boost its seasonal sales of brussel sprouts.

Bah, I'm just sore because they ripped off Pipes of Peace so shamelessly.

DavePage

If in some way a kid, while munching on his chocolate bar is reminded of what happened 100 years ago, then it is a job well done.
A stark contrast from the from the hours playing, for fun, COD and any other fun killing games.
How many molars will Sainsbury be killing with selling of this addictive chocolate? Time to act.
It’s a moving piece of film which sadly won’t reach the likes of anyone the finds it acceptable to steal Poppy donation tins.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
A sentimental ad for a new Argos catalogue which featured a family being separated after arriving entering a concentration camp set to a slow, acoustic guitar version of Can't Smile Without You by Barry Manilow would no doubt trigger an emotional reaction in those that watched it, and raise some awareness of the world's worst crime against humanity.

:lol:

It wouldn't be any worse than their furry Alien puppet family ads from recent years. The one where the weird furry alien mum (voiced by Caroline Qurentin or something) says she wants to get off with Justin Bieber. Utterly bizarre.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A sentimental ad for a new Argos catalogue which featured a family being separated after arriving entering a concentration camp set to a slow, acoustic guitar version of Can't Smile Without You by Barry Manilow would no doubt trigger an emotional reaction in those that watched it, and raise some awareness of the world's worst crime against humanity. During episodes of IACGMOOH.

Who knows what's next, doubtless it will inspire someone to push the envelope a little further.

Maybe a young child stumbling about what used to be the streets of Hiroshima after a cinematically brilliant yet tasteful depiction of the whole city being wasted.

All of a sudden she spies an unopened bottle of her favourite soft drink in the rubble as the highly paid voiceover artiste insists: 'Every cloud has a silver lining...' Cue Ofcom meltdown and record sales.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is exactly the point, I think.

But there's no question that the motivation for large grocery chains starting to deploy fail-safe emotional triggers should be borne in mind, IMHO. Of course everyone likes to make money but - call me old-fashioned - I personally think there is actually a difference in the motivating factors between artists making films or songs about WW1, say, and a large, listed grocery chain deploying it to boost its seasonal sales of brussel sprouts.

Bah, I'm just sore because they ripped off Pipes of Peace so shamelessly.

Nicely put. Couldn't have put it better myself.

And to be clear, I'm not upset by it. I'm not offended by it. I just don't agree with Sainsbo's using it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nicely put. Couldn't have put it better myself.

And to be clear, I'm not upset by it. I'm not offended by it. I just don't agree with Sainsbo's using it.

Unfortunately Easy, that is not the modern NSC (or general social media) way. If you express an opinion either way on an issue, you are "angry beyond belief, consumed by rage, offended beyond belief and in floods of tears". As opposed to just saying what you think without necessarily having blockaded Ofcom.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Unfortunately Easy, that is not the modern NSC (or general social media) way. If you express an opinion either way on an issue, you are "angry beyond belief, consumed by rage, offended beyond belief and in floods of tears". As opposed to just saying what you think without necessarily having blockaded Ofcom.

This .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Easy is a SainosAdvert bedwetter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Easy is a SainosAdvert bedwetter.

Exactly. Nowhere is this pathetic phenomenon more exposed than in any discussion relating to the state of the Albion, on or off the pitch. The canvas is bi-polar, bedwetter or licker, with nothing in the middle. And that is quite a big canvas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here