Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England world cup boycott on 2018 / 22, anyone up for it?

England World Cup Boycott?

• Stupid idea it will do nothing but damage us?

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • We may as well, FIFA can stick it

Votes: 105 78.4%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A boycott by England alone would be pointless. We would need a Brazil, a Germany or an Argentina to join us. Hardly likely.

Sponsors withdrawing their support is the only way FIFA would change.

It's about time some of these sponsors asked themselves if the really want to be associated with FIFA .

It was a German who prepared the whitewashed report (and Der kaiser is apparently pro Qatar too) so I can't see them rushing to join any boycott. Argentina doesn't strike me as a likely ally either.

The only countries I can really see siding with us are the US and Australia, and I think the US would be pretty unlikely too.

Sponsors are the only forces who could bring FIFA down

Dec 29, 2011
It was a German who prepared the whitewashed report (and Der kaiser is apparently pro Qatar too) so I can't see them rushing to join any boycott. Argentina doesn't strike me as a likely ally either.

The only countries I can really see siding with us are the US and Australia, and I think the US would be pretty unlikely too.

Sponsors are the only forces who could bring FIFA down

US boycotting would be huge, probably the biggest country to pull out. The amount of people that watch combined with the wealth of the viewers is something the sponsors couldn't ignore.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FIFA is an institutionally corrupt organisation, Russia and Qatar are respectively a mafia controlled country and a dictatorship.

However, I just want to watch the football, so I think England should not boycott, as despite them being a bit rubbish, it still brings a level of excitement that is great fun, if only for the piss ups and parties.
Ah, the good old 'keep politics out of sport', or 'sport transcends politics' arguments. Didn't work for South Africa in the 1970's; I'm proud to have played (admittedly a very small) part in that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
US boycotting would be huge, probably the biggest country to pull out. The amount of people that watch combined with the wealth of the viewers is something the sponsors couldn't ignore.

Yes, it would be and that would have some clout. But a) the US has invested millions building up the sport over the past 30 years and it would be crazy to jeopardise that just as it was making headway against traditional US sports and b) the investigator who compiled the initial report is American and even though he disagrees with the conclusions of the cut-down version, he didn't believe there was any reason to strip Russia or Qatar of the WC. I can't see the US authorities going against one of their own

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And this is the only thing that can be done, to be honest. Reduce the money supply (he says, swigging away at his can of coke).

Can't say that I'm surprised at the result of the report.

Myself would go for the twin track approach of someone like Greg Dyke opening discreet talks with outher European nations just to test the water as to who do they read the situation an England boycott is pointless unless other Euro nations were prepared to join in,ideally Fifa will move Qatar W/Cup to the 'English' winter therefore screwing-up the European fixtures etc. With that happening European fans encourged through social media boycott the big sponsors McDonalds,Mastercard,Coca-cola etc and let them know why once those sponors see their market share slide backwards then things will happen. Any future set-up must be based on something like the Olympic bid process where i believe there are over 120 votes up for grabs and not the 22 as of now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From Bernstein..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30077311

Of course everything he says is true but will the rest of Europe support such an idea. UEFA rounding on FIFA would certainly be a game changer. It would also p**s off Putin, kill 2 birds with 2 stone

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The problem is the rest of the world just doesn't seem all that bothered about FIFA. Organising a boycott would almost certainly be the end of Blatter

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Bernstein's suggestion is the most viable, mobilise UEFA members into a boycott - though that would still be very difficult.

It seems to me the regions that have 'done best' out of Blatter's Fifa are South America, Asia, Africa and the Concacaf countries. A cynic might say that is because these areas are where corruption is more acceptable.

So Europe probably haven't had the rewards their position demands, and maybe you could get enough support. It's certainly got to the stage where you have to try.

Anyway, fair play to him for exposing Fifa's discrimination efforts as window-dressing and resigning because of the general stench of the organisation.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Unfortunately many parts of the world just except lining the odd pocket as normal practice.

It goes on here but nothing to the levels and blatantly elsewhere.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
The only thing that could change would be a worldwide boycott of FIFA sponsors ... and that's just not going to happen

I wonder if a threat of boycott might work? Imagine if you were Visa (for example) and there was an online petition where 1 million people said they would leave Visa on a given date, say the beginning of 2018, if they continued to sponsor FIFA. It might give them pause for thought, would not cause any immediate hassles to those who signed up, but would give people a chance to make their displeasure known.

Funny in such a consumer-oriented society that people feel so hopeless to change things.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
pigs,snouts and troughs come to mind

along with sports direct:wanker:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Myself would go for the twin track approach of someone like Greg Dyke opening discreet talks with outher European nations just to test the water as to who do they read the situation an England boycott is pointless unless other Euro nations were prepared to join in,ideally Fifa will move Qatar W/Cup to the 'English' winter therefore screwing-up the European fixtures etc. With that happening European fans encourged through social media boycott the big sponsors McDonalds,Mastercard,Coca-cola etc and let them know why once those sponors see their market share slide backwards then things will happen. Any future set-up must be based on something like the Olympic bid process where i believe there are over 120 votes up for grabs and not the 22 as of now.
Visa are official partners, not MasterCard - or are they the same thing? I'm going to see if I can change my bank debit card from Visa to MasterCard - but that's not much good if it's the same thing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Myself would go for the twin track approach of someone like Greg Dyke opening discreet talks with outher European nations just to test the water as

Would you trust any of them to be truthful? The votes promised in support of England's bid shows how dishonest football has become when it comes to awarding major tournaments. 'They' tell you what you want to hear then do the opposite.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
If enough people took a few minutes and e mailed the main sponsors and tell them that their products will be boycotted until they end their association with that gang of crooks.this may hasten the end of this morally bankrupt organisation,after all it's the bottom line that any of these companies care about.hit em where it hurts you have the power .....use it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here