Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Anyone Cycle Along the A23 in the Morning?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes, there really is! I have cycled to Crawley, Horsham and London using that route, when I have wanted to avoid the hills.

National Cycle Route 20.......mostly non-road cycle track as far as Hickstead, then opposite the Shell garage take Jobs Lane alongside the A2300 (almost no traffic), cross the A2300 onto Gatehouse Lane (almost disused), follow this and you'll be within a couple of miles of BH station.

Sorry to be a dunce. I'm struggling with the bit from Withdean to Hassocks. The cycle website is not playing ball. I don't want to hold up traffic at Pyecombe and I'm not particularly inckined to cycle with the 80mph cars. Where is the alternative?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry to be a dunce. I'm struggling with the bit from Withdean to Hassocks. The cycle website is not playing ball. I don't want to hold up traffic at Pyecombe and I'm not particularly inckined to cycle with the 80mph cars. Where is the alternative?

As you get to the roundabout at the A23/A27 junction, turn left under the bridge on Mill Road, then under the A27 to Waterhall, but turn right after the underpass. This then becomes a cycle path that goes up the A23 (but mostly, the road is out of sight) to Tates Garage, which it goes behind, then a little bit on the pavement by the road before joining the old A23 up towards Albourne.

Go right here, and that takes you into Hurstpierpoint. Hassocks is a couple more miles along the road

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't go to Hassocks. The cycle track follows the main A23. You go on the road (or pavement) for a bit through Albourne and Sayers Common, then back on the track alongside the A23 as far as Hickstead, then you turn right over the A23 towards Burgess Hill beside the A2300.

Edit - could do as above and go into Hassocks too

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As you get to the roundabout at the A23/A27 junction, turn left under the bridge on Mill Road, then under the A27 to Waterhall, but turn right after the underpass. This then becomes a cycle path that goes up the A23 (but mostly, the road is out of sight) to Tates Garage, which it goes behind, then a little bit on the pavement by the road before joining the old A23 up towards Albourne.

Go right here, and that takes you into Hurstpierpoint. Hassocks is a couple more miles along the road

Smashing, thank you. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

#earlystart

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
excluding a glass of lemonade at the sportsman pub how long would it take to do that route,without going mad,i am no cyclist but i reckon 90 minutes? or am i way out?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/588737935

Don't know if this link helps but includes the Tates Garage section to Burgess Hill, going on the cycle track to Albourne and then via Langton Lane (turn right into Hurst at Albourne then left just after you get into Hurst - another very quiet lane) and then out to Jobs Lane (via Hassocks and the cycle track is probably shorter ?).

About 8 miles from Tates to Burgess Hill I reckon and not a lot of elevation.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not a million miles away. An hour if you really push it.

I'd take the 90 minutes ....Still it sounds a pleasant enough route,i'd wear shorts and a rain mac in the moring BOF :lolol:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Do you feel safe or is it fraught with danger?

Toying with the idea of cycling to work in BH and thinking of avoiding the Pyecombe bit/diversion to avoid snarling up traffic.

Change+the+ways+of+the+internet+Are+you+mad+_0f50d9a6e023398277c51543e1af55ff.jpg

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Wow 90 minutes each way! Makes my journey to work look like a walk in the park.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a good cycle route considering it's a main road, done it many times. Although I'd agree with PM that the route via Ditchling is a nicer one

Good luck with it BOF, my guess is that it will take about 75 minutes - although longer at first

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am a very considerate cyclist and take my safety very seriously, along with that if other road users. My problem is that I perceive all threats and dangers and react to them; other road users don't. For example, a person was stepping off a kerb to cross a road in front of me. Nothing was behind me, so I could move over with no drama. But another time that might not be the case and then if I break quickly, I am reliant on any traffic behind doing the same. That's where my confidence is wobbly.

Too often drivers will choose to be a dick, too. They will either tailgate or pass too close on the outside, and I don't understand why - genuinely. Maybe they're reacting to less than considerate cyclists, of which there are many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here