Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail- Smith

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I think time is up for CMS and I fully expect him to be sold in January if we get any interest whatsoever. I really wanted him to be a success and think he is a top bloke and I have never seen a player try so hard. Very sad for him as he as never been used to his strenghts at Brighton. I would be amazed if we offer him a new deal as we have Baldock to do exactly what CMS does. Bye Craig and thanks for trying.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I think time is up for CMS and I fully expect him to be sold in January if we get any interest whatsoever. I really wanted him to be a success and think he is a top bloke and I have never seen a player try so hard. Very sad for him as he as never been used to his strenghts at Brighton. I would be amazed if we offer him a new deal as we have Baldock to do exactly what CMS does. Bye Craig and thanks for trying.

Spot on - time to move him on

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I wouldn't surprised if his confidence is shot to pieces. 3.5 years of playing in a team with zero interest in helping you score after 2 years at Posh where the opposite was true must have really knocked him back and add in his injury.

As others have said, I see the same future unfolding for Baldock at the moment: both excellent strikers being asked to play a different way for the team, diminishing their contribution.

What truly baffles me is this: WHY DOES NOBODY LOOK AT DEFENDERS IN THIS LEAGUE? They're all 6' 5" monsters and we keep signing 5' 8" strikers and either play them alone against them or sling them on the wing. Who decides these strategies?!

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I wouldn't surprised if his confidence is shot to pieces. 3.5 years of playing in a team with zero interest in helping you score after 2 years at Posh where the opposite was true must have really knocked him back and add in his injury.

As others have said, I see the same future unfolding for Baldock at the moment: both excellent strikers being asked to play a different way for the team, diminishing their contribution.

What truly baffles me is this: WHY DOES NOBODY LOOK AT DEFENDERS IN THIS LEAGUE? They're all 6' 5" monsters and we keep signing 5' 8" strikers and either play them alone against them or sling them on the wing. Who decides these strategies?!

That's an argument for the diminutive striker as well though. Play them in so they can slide past the 6' 5" monsters.

Thing is we are hardly ever providing that kind of service.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nice bloke, but not a top end championship striker (not that we are top end this season).
If someone wants him come January then let them have him, would save on wages

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
If someone shows interest then surely we will take the money and reduce the wage bill. If cms is prepared to extend on a new deal then I'd be happy. I keep hoping he will hit form as he is a definate confidence striker. With the lack of support and injury hasn't helped.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
How much would we get for him? I think we'd be struggling to get a seven figure sum for him. Needs a spell on loan jnL1 to rediscover his goalscoring touch and confidence.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That's an argument for the diminutive striker as well though. Play them in so they can slide past the 6' 5" monsters.

Thing is we are hardly ever providing that kind of service.

I recall in the good old days how pleased I was when defences had these monsters, when Peter Ward was so much faster, and then earned us no end of penalties, even before the days of regular diving! Watching Baldock on his won against Blackburn struggle yet again to get to long hoofs when he did not have chance, was quite depressing. The original Op was right -all the teams seem to have big defenders, as we have, so why oh why is poor old SB stuck on his own to get on the end of high balls?
Returning to the thread, I to have become quite disillusioned with CSM after initial enthusiasm with his record prior to coming here -it really cannot be said that it has worked out, though I am sure that the many posts here saying that we do not play to his strengths are valid.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I feel bad for him in the fact that he came here with over 30 goals in a season to his name, and then because we played a style that didn't suit him he hasn't lived up to lots of people's too high expectations, Im sure he also wasn't helped by the pressure of being the club's record signing.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

Exactly this, the club have again bought a good league 1 striker in Baldock with a good scoring record at that level but needs to play as part of a front 2. So we have 4.5million worth of strikers in CMS and Baldock but have never played to either of their strengths so they have both struggled at championship level.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Our record of signing strikers ulloa aside is just shocking. I would keep as the chances of replacing with anything that will give half as much effort is so small. keep and sign some else. 3 strikers one out and one in is not enough for this league

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would be inclined to sell,him and Ulloa would have been a good partnership but it was not to be..

We have a habit of getting strikers that have done ok and then they come here and don't perform subsequently they move on and do ok again and i don't just mean when we have been in the Championship..

We have never got world beating forward players but there have been quite a few and i am at a loss as to whether it is coaching,tactics,pressure of playing for this club,the distractions that Brighton can offer a player outside of the game,i just don't know,but when they come here things just do not seem to click..

Sell and good luck CMS,sorry it did not really work out here as it could have had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here