Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Centre halves as managers/coaches

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Did Mourinho play professionally ? I thought he was the same as Wenger, a bit of semi-pro, then straight into coaching
Honestly I'm not sure, though I suspect you're probably right. Either way, he was still a midfielder, just possibly a bit of a cack one...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Did Mourinho play professionally ? I thought he was the same as Wenger, a bit of semi-pro, then straight into coaching

He played in the Portuguese second division - I think Wenger was a bit better than semi-pro but only just

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Let's not forget Mr Roy Hodgson. Another one with very little in the way of a playing career but he's hardly lacking in managerial achievements...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Eight of the current 20 PL sides are managed by ex-central defenders (Southampton, Man City, West Ham, Swansea, Newcastle, Spurs, Hull, Leicester and Burnley) that's a pretty fair proportion

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Brendan Rogers
Eddie Howe
Mauricio Pochettino

List goes on and on...

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Eight of the current 20 PL sides are managed by ex-central defenders (Southampton, Man City, West Ham, Swansea, Newcastle, Spurs, Hull, Leicester and Burnley) that's a pretty fair proportion

Pardew was a midfielder.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry to burst your bubble but I remember my uncle telling me he was an old fashioned right back for both Southampton and Tottenham. Perhaps uncle Bill was wrong.

Yes, definitely a full-back.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is a question borne out of ignorance more than a dig at Sami, but can anyone name an out-and-out centre back who went on to be a successful manager?

Perhaps it would be a shorter list if you reworded the question to; 'can anyone name an out-and-out centre back who didn't go on to be a successful manager?' :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here