Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could UKIP win the General Election ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't need to propose a better system, I'm not a political theorist. It's painfully obvious that democracy is broken, though.
I am not at all sure how you could arrive at this, other than to fit it in with your theories. How can democracy be broken when thousands of voters turn to UKIP, like it or not. That is precisely what happens in a democracy, surely -the good folk of this country have that option.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not at all sure how you could arrive at this, other than to fit it in with your theories. How can democracy be broken when thousands of voters turn to UKIP, like it or not. That is precisely what happens in a democracy, surely -the good folk of this country have that option.

I personally feel people should have to earn the right-to-vote by sitting an exam. Nothing too taxing, but a simple test which demonstrates you are able to understand simple political, social and economic theories.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I think (and hope) UKIP's appeal will wither once exposed to the glare of proper scrutiny. It's a party that is currently known only for what it is against, rather than what it is for. It has yet to explain the mechanics of disengaging from Europe (eg, Norway, Switzerland outside the EU but have to comply with 90% of EU regulations to continue trading with EU). It is heavily dependent on one man's personality; again, this will come under scrutiny (how, exactly, is a white male, public school educated ex-stockbroker an outsider). When general elections come round, people will vote for a potential government, not cast a protest vote. They will undoubtedly pick up a few seats (6-10 max, and only if there are a couple more Tory defections before then), but then the Greens might squeeze one or two more and the SNP will probably be close to wiping out Westminster parties in Scotland. If all of this leads to a change in the make-up of British politics at Westminster then great, but I for one am not holding my breath.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If UKIP won the general election, then democracy has truly failed. We won the war to end fascism, if we end up voting for it purely because there is nobody else to vote for, then of course we would turn our backs on it for a better system.

for someone who talks so much about politics, you arent half ignorant about it. UKIP, for their faults, are not fascists. and you rile agasint the current system, say you want an alternative thats more prosperous, when clearly the current system has provided the most prosperity for the most people in history, and all alternatives attempted in the past have held populations back.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A vast majority of people don't have the time or interest to study alternative political systems. There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticising the current political paradigm while not being aware of or fully understanding the alternatives.

You're also critical of the current system, which is why you're voting UKIP. I would imagine the reason you are resorting to this is because you too aren't fully aware of alternative political, democratic and economic systems which we could or should be adopting instead.

That's a bit of an assumption you've made there. Broadly speaking I agree with the system of democracy we have in the UK - I'd be happier if it were slightly less party political though. By empathising with UKIP ( I haven't voted for them in over a decade ) I'm supporting their stance on the EU not because I don't agree with the political system in this country.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I personally feel people should have to earn the right-to-vote by sitting an exam. Nothing too taxing, but a simple test which demonstrates you are able to understand simple political, social and economic theories.

Why should someone's right to vote be dependent on their intelligence ? You might as well base the right to vote on c0ck / tit size, the amount of money someone has or even the colour of their eyes.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
People hate career politicians so vote UKIP who are filled with career politicians? I don't think so. I think there is sinister side to it all.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
[MENTION=26606]Brighton Mod[/MENTION] That's why we HAVE to have English votes for English matters.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
They could win a fair few seats. They have successfully hoodwinked a lot of people into thinking they are an alternative and that somehow voting for ex Tories, bank rolled by ex-Tory donors will somehow "shake things up a bit".

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
UKIP could pick up half a dozen seats in constituencies where their share of the vote is 30% - 35%. Elsewhere if they managed to still maintain roughly 24% where candidates are standing coming second or third is the outcome.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
They will beat the Lib Dems. All the other parties are very concerned about the UKIP advance. We certainly do need to do something about immigration. I do really wonder how some people legally get into this country. Certain nationalities like the Poles have been good for the country whilst others seem to be a burden.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I prefer "direct democracy" - this is where instead of voting for MP's and parties to represent us, we would vote on individual issues that affect us directly and locally. This could be done using modern technology such as the internet, or the traditional paper ballot.
How would you react if that system resulted in a vote to bring back hanging for some murders? Just asking, like.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Why should someone's right to vote be dependent on their intelligence ? You might as well base the right to vote on c0ck / tit size, the amount of money someone has or even the colour of their eyes.
It might help if voters were intelligent enough to actually understand the issues to a reasonable degree.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Really ? Such a short memory ...... here's YOUR post again ....

Who said it was necessary ? It isn't but it shows a lack of mature thought if you declare you think something is wrong but don't suggest the solution.
I would have thought it showed mature thought of you can identify the problems in a system too, but there you go.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Nice we are baling out France and Germany for a change we should be proud that we not the sick one of Europe, enjoy it because if Labour get back in we will get our position back as the sick country of Europe again. Let's get the north back to work it might take the pressure of building in the South East. We need a good debate on the pros and cons of Europe.

This :thumbsup: .... Basically a car crash waiting to happen

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Because of its importance? We're talking about running a country here, not choosing what to cook for dinner. And I'm not suggesting you need a Phd to vote, more just the simple ability to understand very simple concepts and the ability for simple reasoning.

I'd be happy to become an unpaid instructor at the Voting School and provide my usual unbiased political instruction.

Jan 30, 2008
How many more hand car washing enterprises do we need in this country....... vote UKIP, you know it makes sense:wink:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here