Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tower of London poppies are fake, trite and inward-looking

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Piss off bushy the grown ups are trying to have a discussion about something grown-up, dont need your help.

Grown up discussion ? Do me a favour , you're a country bumpkin from hurstpierpoint with a chip on your shoulder and delusions of grandeur in equal measure because you got a scholarship to hurstpierpoint college.
When you've got a bit of real life experience then come back and put up a decent argument, in the meantime take your cliche ridden 5 pints in the union bar argument and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Its really not a complicated issue, buy a poppy, wear it, and remember our war dead and wounded, the only complications are added by 'look at me' tossers like you and others on here who attempt to disguise their contempt for our service personnel with shallow mealy mouthed arguments that really don't stack up when subjected to any real scrutiny, in short go away and grow up, until then stick to putting the world to rights with your student union cronies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
EXACTLY.

And now by romantacising them so fervently, we completely fail to learn from the mistakes we made in the lead-up to those wars, and run the very real risk of a poptentially much worse repeat.

Romanticising? Get over yourself. I thought you wanted serious debate. Everybody and I mean everybody knows what the horrors of war are. We're all able to separate Hollywood from reality, we don't need pseudo-intellectuals like you to draw the distinction for us.

And your argument makes no sense anyway. The lead-up is the cause of war and the war itself is the effect - it comes after the cause. And as someone else said, first you moan about poppies every year and then it's the memorial itself. Your arguments are all over the place.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
EXACTLY.

And now by romantacising them so fervently, we completely fail to learn from the mistakes we made in the lead-up to those wars, and run the very real risk of a poptentially much worse repeat.

we had no choice then....and for completely different reasons , we don't have much choice now....we are either with or against...no middle ground , read about it...will ya...!

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
EXACTLY.

Having read the comments you've made on this thread, you really are a vile piece of work. Come away with a tiny bit of dignity but shutting your mouth, right now.

If this cretin really is a moderator it doesn't say much for North Stand Chat I'm afraid.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Grown up discussion ? Do me a favour , you're a country bumpkin from hurstpierpoint with a chip on your shoulder and delusions of grandeur in equal measure because you got a scholarship to hurstpierpoint college.
When you've got a bit of real life experience then come back and put up a decent argument, in the meantime take your cliche ridden 5 pints in the union bar argument and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Its really not a complicated issue, buy a poppy, wear it, and remember our war dead and wounded, the only complications are added by 'look at me' tossers like you and others on here who attempt to disguise their contempt for our service personnel with shallow mealy mouthed arguments that really don't stack up when subjected to any real scrutiny, in short go away and grow up, until then stick to putting the world to rights with your student union cronies.

Ahh yes a fear of the educated, how apt.

Its really not a complicated issue, buy a poppy, wear it, and remember our war dead and wounded,

And WHY exactly should one do this? Because someone like YOU has TOLD them to do so? Really ****ing easy way to put someone off I reckon. Especially since it is about remembering THE wars, not just OUR war dead.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fortunately he is not a moderator but cretin does not give justice to what he is.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
thats not my fault...:blush:

<Mod edit: perhaps it wasn't; perhaps you thought the swear filter would asterisk it out. Nonetheless, you made this post acknowledging the problem within a minute of your previous post, which means you had plenty of time to edit the offending word. You chose not to, which is why you got an infraction. An infraction that takes you over the totting up limit, meaning you can have a little holiday from NSC. :shrug: >

Last edited by a moderator:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Piss off bushy the grown ups are trying to have a discussion about something grown-up, dont need your help.
Grown ups? You have just about zero life experience in the real world, but dare to preach to others who have seen loved ones die in defence of their country, or have seen relatives mentally scarred by their time in the forces, or even served themselves.

Don't buy a poppy, that is fine. Preach to others that they should not? Shut the fxxk up!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have had to shift this due to the unpleasant personal nature of some of the comments.

Millions died due to the incompetence and vanity of politicians and other rulers, if people want to acknowledge those sacrifices by wearing a poppy then that is fully understandable, and I've little time from those making capital from criticising those who wear one.

The governance, management and decision making of the Royal British Legion is a separate, and less edifying, issue.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This article appeared in my facebook page a few days ago. It is a very poor and opportunistic piece of journalism.

The phrase 'Ukip-style memorial' set me against it before I read a single word. As readers of political threads will know, I am no supporter of UKIP, but I find it irritating to find people referring them to a default position of racists. It is a crass way of dismissing political opposition, and fails to reason with some opposing views which, excepting that they are more pronounced, may not be as far from the views of some of those who oppose them than their detractors would have us believe. Not all 'right wing' folk are bigots, not all Green Party members are tree-hugging appeasers.

The poppy display looks awesome. I wanted to see it, but went straight to the match on Wednesday as I wasn't feeling too well, and the weather was ugly. I hope to get a chance, although I'm not sure how long it is there.

The lack of poppies representing other nations is an easy and cheap point to make, but seems to set up a group of further weaker objections. I agree that war is a tragedy of humanity, and have always been keen to include the casualties of other nations when talking about it. But this display doesn't take anything away from that. The broad assumption that this is a UKIP style memorial, is an assumption that all members of UKIP are incapable of feeling empathy with other nations losses. This is wrong.

This memorial doesn't endorse nationalism. If anything, it shows its folly to the citizens of one particular country. When I look at it I merely ask myself why so many families were torn apart. Families of all nations. Most people who see it will ask the question of the usefulness of such conflicts, rather than delight in some victorious dialogue of jingoistic supremacy.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sad fact is now that war is almost an industry and weapons are a very profitable commodity.......back in the 1900's it wasn't the case....notice the kids have not followed....probably still wondering where the thread has gone.....well put el pres , btw.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
sad fact is now that war is almost an industry and weapons are a very profitable commodity.......back in the 1900's it wasn't the case....notice the kids have not followed....probably still wondering where the thread has gone.....well put el pres , btw.
Still aware.......

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ahh yes a fear of the educated, how apt.

And WHY exactly should one do this? Because someone like YOU has TOLD them to do so? Really ****ing easy way to put someone off I reckon. Especially since it is about remembering THE wars, not just OUR war dead.
Fear of the educated, you ? :lolol: and for the record , I remember OUR war dead , sorry about all the others, but I'm one of those people who was brought up to care about YOUR OWN , perhaps all that middle class guilt at your public school has rubbed off on you.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I buy a poppy in respect to the British people that gave their lives for this country. Like many my grandfather died at Dunkirk on June 17th 1940 aboard The Lancastria, my mum was 4 years old at the time.
Nobody forces anybody to buy a poppy, and whether governments are to blame for wars etc does not enter my head when i wear my poppy, i wear it for those British that died in war.
I won't bother to vent my utter contempt for the posts of Husty.....i just wonder how different they would be if those that have fallen in past wars had not done.
I think the minutes COMPLETE silence at B'Muff today proved that 10,000 people did show respect.....unlike our nauseating "moderator".

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
THIS......................

2md2z3s.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I buy a poppy in respect to the British people that gave their lives for this country. Like many my grandfather died at Dunkirk on June 17th 1940 aboard The Lancastria, my mum was 4 years old at the time.
Nobody forces anybody to buy a poppy, and whether governments are to blame for wars etc does not enter my head when i wear my poppy, i wear it for those British that died in war.
I won't bother to vent my utter contempt for the posts of Husty.....i just wonder how different they would be if those that have fallen in past wars had not done.
I think the minutes COMPLETE silence at B'Muff today proved that 10,000 people did show respect.....unlike our nauseating "moderator".

This.

My grandfather (RIP) was a POW for 3 years after being captured in the Aegean and treated like sh@t in Austria and Germany. If you have any doubts how bad this was he wrote a diary. Not a pleasant read.
After the war he carried the RBL Standard on Remembrance Sunday for 40 years for the village branch, including a few times at the Festival in the Royal Albert Hall. My grandmother (still going strong at 93) sold poppies for 40 years

I have and always will buy and wear a Poppy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here