Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tower of London poppies are fake, trite and inward-looking

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
rubbish, its recognised across europe. there's nothing remotly nationalistic about it.

Yes but the memorial contains the same number of poppies as british military fatalities in world war 1, it doesn't make mention of civilians, people from other countries e.t.c. so I don't agree that this memorial is a memorial of the dead of war, I do believe there is a nationalisitic angle to it which shouldn't be there. Why are the deaths of military personel being recognised here?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes but the memorial contains the same number of poppies as british military fatalities in world war 1, it doesn't make mention of civilians, people from other countries e.t.c. so I don't agree that this memorial is a memorial of the dead of war, I do believe there is a nationalisitic angle to it which shouldn't be there. Why are the deaths of military personel being recognised here?

British and Commonwealth/Empire/Colonies, not just British.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They didn't have any choice. Politicians got them into the war, and ordinary men were called up. They made the sacrifice for others decisions.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He has a point, the red poppy is mutating (some might argue already has) into a symbol of nationalism, and lost most of it's original purpose as a memorial to those killed by war. That's a tragedy.
Not only this but people have them foisted on them left right and centre (e.g. tv personalities and football managers). Remembrance should surely be a personal thing? I'm tempted to donate but not take a poppy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes but the memorial...

you talked about the poppy. now changing tack. i have no idea why the memorial focuses on the forces that went off to fight a war and sacrifice their lives for something they thought was very important, ask the organisers. or maybe leave it alone.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He has a point, the red poppy is mutating (some might argue already has) into a symbol of nationalism, and lost most of it's original purpose as a memorial to those killed by war. That's a tragedy.

This. It's worrying how often it is used as a divisive symbol rather than bringing people together.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
or maybe leave it alone.

The memorial IS poppies, so obviously they are very intrinsically linked.

What I don't understand, is why or how placing militrary personel on a plinth (as you yourself do here) helps us remember these attrocities and prevent them happening again. That's my point, that there's a disconnect between how people now approach these things and how they were originally intended to be used, and this memorial, in choosing to look at military deaths only is a part of this.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Last paragraph is a great point, the memorial and everything around the poppy on appears to concentrate on the sacrifices people made. It essentially romanticises war rather than depict the brutal suffering and gory nature of war.

The problem is, we remember them and their sacrifices then only go and repeat the same errors. Most of those who have died, died in vain because our politicians and so called leaders drag us into more unnecessary wars.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not only this but people have them foisted on them left right and centre (e.g. tv personalities and football managers). Remembrance should surely be a personal thing? I'm tempted to donate but not take a poppy.

I donate but don't wear a poppy. Our taxes are used to send our troops to war. Why should it be expected for charity to look after them and their families when they come home dead, injured or mentally scarred? I can remember the fallen without wearing a poppy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There's obviously a reason for you not wearing one, the reason being you're a **

Piss off bushy the grown ups are trying to have a discussion about something grown-up, dont need your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Piss off bushy the grown ups are trying to have a discussion about something grown-up, dont need your help.

Actually thinking about it bushy, don't. Ignorant, racist twats like you sum up everything that has become wrong with the poppy.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Actually thinking about it bushy, don't. Ignorant, racist twats like you sum up everything that has become wrong with the poppy. Argument: won.

I think for a moderator on this forum, you ought to calm down and behave like one. You are not coming out of this discussion very well.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think for a moderator on this forum, you ought to calm down and behave like one. You are not coming out of this discussion very well.

kinell...he's a moderator...!! what the furk...!! the fact is that if the men who died in previous , major wars were to be brought back to see what they fought for ......they would , to a man , be not impressed...would they now...???

it makes my stomach contents curdle to hear shit from people who haven't actually lost anything yet , telling other people what biggots they are......

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
kinell...he's a moderator...!! what the furk...!! the fact is that if the men who died in previous , major wars were to be brought back to see what they fought for ......they would , to a man , be not impressed...would they now...???

it makes my stomach contents curdle to hear shit from people who haven't actually lost anything yet , telling other people what biggots they are......

Can anyone make a post that doesn't attempt to romanticise war, anyone?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
it wasn't romantic 70 years ago ...it was a necessity.......no romance then MATE..!!

EXACTLY.

And now by romantacising them so fervently, we completely fail to learn from the mistakes we made in the lead-up to those wars, and run the very real risk of a poptentially much worse repeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here