Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's guesstimate how much money our club waste on players and maybe other things

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Other than Stockdale and Stephens pretty much every recent new signing has been at best a significant backward step or at worst, a total waste of money.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are gambles at all levels of the game (Veron -> Man Utd, Torres -> Chelsea etc). Those who talk from a position of hindsight alone are not worth listening to.

Probably the only time Veron and Torres will be mentioned in the same context as Chris O'Grady. 500k isn't quote the same gamble as 50 million either. Regardless of that plenty on here spat the dummy when CoG was signed, though a general consensus was reached that he'd be ok if he wasn't the Ulloa replacement. Which against Middlesboro and Rotherham he was....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why am I looking like a tit by saying he wasn't good this season and bar that spurt of 5 goals he's offered very little like many players.

i have to agree somewhat, I have never been a big Crofts fan, I see his attributes and his tireless effort is admirable, but they are not what i like for in a central midfield player.
And I do agree that his mini scoring streak early last season covered some average performances, however at the time no one else was scoring so a bit of credit where its due.

For me with everyone fit Crofts does not get in my 11 or even match day squad if I am honest.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Crofts was poor when he played half of last season although back from an injury,this season he was also gash.
Bruno is a sick note and can't defend for shi*t

Both should not have got new contracts,but people will compare them to the likes of kemy lol

Okay I give up, are you Stevie Wonder or David Blunkett ? :facepalm:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
i have to agree somewhat, I have never been a big Crofts fan, I see his attributes and his tireless effort is admirable, but they are not what i like for in a central midfield player

Completely agree and I think Poyet felt the same, which is why he (Crofts) spent so much time as a sub during his first season back at the club.

He did have a good start to the season and scored some important goals for us, but if I had a choice between Stephens and Crofts, then I'm afraid Stephens would be selected ahead of the latter for me every single time.

That said, I would have Crofts over Gardner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely agree and I think Poyet felt the same, which is why he (Crofts) spent so much time as a sub during his first season back at the club.

He did have a good start to the season and scored some important goals for us, but if I had a choice between Stephens and Crofts, then I'm afraid Stephens would be selected ahead of the latter for me every single time.

That said, I would have Crofts over Gardner.

Crofts was skipper of Norwich who won the Championship in the two years before he returned to us.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Out if interest, how much does the OP think we wasted on Ashley Barnes weekly wages before he left for Burnley?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Crofts did score a few goals last season but he never looks comfortable on the ball and doesn't offer a lot to our build up play. I was really surprised he was given another contract so early in the season and they decision has backfired with his long term injury.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Crofts deserved his contract as he was deemed a good enough player for what was required, especially as one of our more comfortable ball-players.

He has been sorely unlucky with injuries. It's pretty disingenuous to say 'it backfired'. He is deservedly here on merit.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Toko 5k a week maybe more?
Augustein 10k a week?
Gardner 10k a week?
O'Grady 8k a week?

Players that you feel shouldn't have been offered contracts
Crofts...Baffled he got an extra year 12k a week?
Bruno...History of injuries and wasn't good last season 12k a week?

Any more things????

Thats £3.12m a year on players that don't play, are never going to play or pretend to play, on a player wages budget thats £21m thats 15%, on a player wages budget of £14m thats 22%. FFs what a waste of money, profligacy, its wonder we're not losing over £7m a year at the club.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Paul Barber strikes me as the kind of reckless individual that, when he, Tony and David all go for a £16.99 all-you-can-eat Chinese, tries to show off by ordering far too much Crispy Duck and Sweet and Sour Chicken balls, incurring a surcharge for not being able to finish his plate.

And who picks up the bill? That's right, us hardworking Season Ticket holders.

It's an absolute bloody disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here