Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another goalkeeper? [Ali Al-Habsi]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would you take a risk as manager, allowing for the fact that the U21s have a game on Monday night, and the other youth keeper is suspended following a red card?

I don't know, but isn't there some sort of injury insurance?
It would depend on a lot of things, I suppose (not least the budget aspect), but generally I think that as long as I had one GK to play and one to sit on the bench, I'd be OK with that. As for the U21s, either Walton or Kasper could play with the other on the bench, and then reverse the roles for Wigan on Tuesday.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'll be delighted to see a keeper as good as Al Habsi between the sticks for us - I'll still feel sorry for Walton though; maybe it's a bit 'old school', but I still generally feel that if a player has a good game, he doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good keeper but I'm a bit confused, stockdale has put on twitter that he hopes to train later today to test the finger. I would take that as he is not far from fitness and with us playing Wigan on Tuesday are we bringing him in for one game?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I wanted Al Habsi to join us when it was announced Kuschczak wasn't sticking around so it'll be nice from that point of view at least :thumbsup:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Good keeper but I'm a bit confused, stockdale has put on twitter that he hopes to train later today to test the finger. I would take that as he is not far from fitness and with us playing Wigan on Tuesday are we bringing him in for one game?

Very much THIS. If he's testing it surely he can't be that far off?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
From Roslers comments he expects Al-Habsi to be getting game time here.

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
I think it is a good signing for us. Walton is good but young and with Bournemouth scoring a lot of goals it could be a major dent in his confidence. If stockdale is out for a while a first team keeper is needed. Casper probably accepts that he is a 3rd choice keeper who is around for his experience and as a one game back up player.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Changed days indeed. Not that long ago that if FDM got injured they put OGH in goal :moo:

In what strange parallel universe do we need four keepers? When we only had three keepers, the third choice never got a look-in ???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cruel.

We have a goalkeeping gap and they sign a world-class player.

We have a goalscoring problem and we've signed a bloke from Barnsley.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

He'll still be able to train with a broken finger , the only difference is he won't be able to make any saves. :wink:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The ONLY player I want from Wigan on loan is Grant Holt.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can't really see any objections to this myself. A match day combination of Walton & Al Habsi for the next month or so will do me fine.

Those moaning about it seem to think a striker and a goalkeeper are mutually exclusive. I really don't think it's a case of "we've picked up a cheap goalkeeper for a month so we can't sign a striker". Why on earth would any club (yes, even ours) operate like that?

Sure, BUT if we go out and get a quality goalkeeper on loan, who would surely play/start, what was the point in giving Casper another year, especially when it looks like Stockdale will only miss one game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here