Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The single worst refereeing decision you've seen at the Amex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another dodgy Bournemouth penalty outside the box at Withdean deserves a mention, purely because it was yet another gift by a ref to Bournemouth and robbed us of two points.

I know the thread says Amex decisions but...

Maybe we'll be the beneficiary of a dodgy penalty tomorrow. Would we let a forward take it? :lolol:

Aug 23, 2011
Barnes tried to jump over the player but caught him with his foot, which the ref interpreted as a stamp (so did many of the Barnes detractors) It was McCann who retaliated, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't)

thats how i recall it too. On seeing the replay i did feel that Barnes could have probably done a little more to avoid landing on the player but still not 100% convinced it was a red card and how their player stayed on i don't know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's been plenty of bad ones mentioned on this thread and I'd say the ref not sending off the Burnley keeper last season is up with them. Buckley rounded him and had an open goal only to be cynically brought down. The red did make up for it by dismissing the Burnley keeper later on in the game and luckily we won comfortably.

Ah yes. That decision- the keeper was Tom Heaton- was awful.

And if you were Burnley, you'd say the subsequent second yellow card he later gave him for some trivial handling offence was equally as bad, even if, to us, justice was done. If ever there was a case of a referee realising he'd screwed up, and taking the slightest chance to correct it, that was it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There's been plenty of bad ones mentioned on this thread and I'd say the ref not sending off the Burnley keeper last season is up with them. Buckley rounded him and had an open goal only to be cynically brought down. The red did make up for it by dismissing the Burnley keeper later on in the game and luckily we won comfortably.
That's the one that gets my vote. The ref saw enough to give the foul (and the booking), so it was surely a red card given that Buckley would have had an open goal to shoot at.

Worst decision going our way is the Watford goal. The way I saw it, the still screen shots show that the ball probably crossed the line; the reflection from the floodlights on the crossbar (and the ball) blurs the lines so it isn't clear.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
I know it wasn't at the amex, but the penalty at St. Mary's in 2011/12 was an awful decision, the foul by dunk was clearly about 5 yards outside the box, it was only 1-0 at the time and it changed the game, tanno got sent off for dissent, they scored the penalty and went on to win 3-0

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Calderon perfect tackle vs Bournemouth, by a country mile followed by the harsh red on Barnes, after the Burnley player had gone over top of the ball.

The non-award of a penalty in our first game vs Donny, when KLL was hacked down in the first half......... saw a picture the other day and still can't believe it.

Also of note was the D'Urso decision not to award a penalty vs Derby, when the Lopez free-kick was blocked by a raised hand.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ah yes. That decision- the keeper was Tom Heaton- was awful.

And if you were Burnley, you'd say the subsequent second yellow card he later gave him for some trivial handling offence was equally as bad, even if, to us, justice was done. If ever there was a case of a referee realising he'd screwed up, and taking the slightest chance to correct it, that was it.

Though the second yellow was correct if applying the rules to the letter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know it wasn't at the amex, but the penalty at St. Mary's in 2011/12 was an awful decision, the foul by dunk was clearly about 5 yards outside the box, it was only 1-0 at the time and it changed the game, tanno got sent off for dissent, they scored the penalty and went on to win 3-0

I'm still angry about that now, thanks for reminding me, absolute disgrace.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Beckford's red card

Yoda

English & European
Barnes tried to jump over the player but caught him with his foot, which the ref interpreted as a stamp (so did many of the Barnes detractors) It was McCann who retaliated, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't)

That's how I saw, and still, see it. If Barnes hadn't jumped in the first place, the tackle coming in from McCann would've been a leg breaker. It was a studs up, two footed lung.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't get the calls for Watford's goal. I didn't think it was a goal at the time and having seen the replay, I still don't think it was a goal. I know some people did and you can say it's a contentious one but given the amount of argument, it's clearly not even close to being the worst decision.

A shocking decision is when the ref is got something horrendously and clearly wrong - not made a decision that most people thought was the correct one

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Another dodgy Bournemouth penalty outside the box at Withdean deserves a mention, purely because it was yet another gift by a ref to Bournemouth and robbed us of two points.

I know the thread says Amex decisions but...

Maybe we'll be the beneficiary of a dodgy penalty tomorrow. Would we let a forward take it? :lolol:

Ironically that was against Tommy Elphick if I remember correctly. That was particularly bad as the ref waved play on and the lino gave it - even though it was outside the box.

But Hoops decision to give a penalty after that Calderon tackle is probably the worst refereeing decision I have ever seen at a live match.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
By no means the worst but one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Ricky Lambert's sending off. Punched the ground in frustration and el abd rolled around on the floor and got him sent off. Happy days.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me its got to be two the Barnes red v Burnley after being strangled by their defender and the Bmth "penalty"

So bad was the decision that even the Bmff players were lining up for a CORNER. If I remember rightly a Bmff player was jogging over to the corner flag with the ball!

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
There's been a few (and I daresay some have gone in our favour too). But what sticks in your mind as the worst one?

In the run up to Saturday, I still can't get away from that appalling penalty Bournemouth "won" last season. That tackle from Calderon was excellent: there wasn't even the slightest possibility in my mind that a foul might be deemed to have occurred. With most penalties given for fouls, you can see why they were awarded, or anticipate that a fussy referee might spot something amiss. But with that one, not even the Bournemouth players appealed. They were just anticipating a corner. Easily the most angry I've been at the Amex, and a huge slap in the face for the Albion players.

The Burnley game (where we went down to 9 men) wasn't much fun, but on viewing the replays afterwards, I don't think either decision was as obviously wrong as that Bournemouth penalty.

Was that the worst, or am I missing an even greater injustice?

you might be right about the 2 sending offs v burnley, but what riled me was shortly after the second red they should of had a player sent off for a disgraceful challenge.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Whinging about poor decisions is just a distraction and an excuse from a crap team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here