Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Familial Brighton Palace Connections

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Inspired by a couple of posts in another thread....

It's time to own up. Who here has any Brighton and Palace connections in their family?

My brother-in-law is a Palace fan. Worse still, he married my sister on the day we were beaten 0-1 at Palace, March '86 :down:

His kids are Palace too, aren't they? Also, he decorated Mum and Dad's extension and went and painted one side of the doors red and the other a washed-out blue (sadly I wasn't around that day, so wasn't able to prevent it). He also then offered me a paint stirring stick coloured red one side and blue the other. Needless to say, I declined his kind offer.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My uncle is a Palace fan. He lives in Beckenham.

I had an uncle who lived in Beckenham too (Kent House Road). It was most useful on the day of the 5-0, as while you lot were all kettled down by Norwood Junction Station, I went to the copper guarding the road to Penge, and said "I need to get to Beckenham, can I get through?" He let me, and I walked to the next junction and got a bus to East Croydon. My uncle claimed to have no interest in football, yet if I visited him on a Saturday would invariably ask me "Dunc, how did the Arsenal do today?" (He was from Kensal Rise, Arsenal territory I think).

Incidentally, this is a reminder to me that I could easily have ended up as a Palace fan. Though I spent the first year of my life in Brighton, the closest I have lived since is Sharpthorne. My grandmother was in a nursing home in Thornton Heath, and Dad and I would go and take her for a drive. Our regular route used to take us past Selhurst, and I have already mentioned my uncle. I watched a few of their games on MoTD, but could never get interested (I wasn't really into football then, and most of my school mates were Liverpool fans. I briefly toyed with Spurs in the early 1980s, but have been an Albion fan since 1985).

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
My dad is Palace. Born and raised in Kimberly road Beckenham.

He moved down south before I was born, so I was raised in Hove/Portslade.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yup. I come from the Croydon area, my father was Palace as was his father before him. (Indeed Grandad used to see Palace before they moved to Selhurst Park, I think they played at a place called 'The Nest'). The first football match I saw was at Selhurst Park (1965), and also back in the 1950s my Mum was something to do with the Supporters' Club.

It was weird going there in 1975 (I think) for the first time as a Brighton fan.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
His kids are Palace too, aren't they? Also, he decorated Mum and Dad's extension and went and painted one side of the doors red and the other a washed-out blue (sadly I wasn't around that day, so wasn't able to prevent it). He also then offered me a paint stirring stick coloured red one side and blue the other. Needless to say, I declined his kind offer.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten you know him. Yes his 2 kids are Palace too :down:

It's all a bit weird as I've known him longer than my sister has as I used to go to school with him, which being in Crawley was pretty grim as most of my year were Palace except myself and one other guy. Even our form tutor was Palace.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What went wrong there? Didn't you give him enough pocket money when he was a kid? :shrug:

Long, long story of me in the Army overseas, ex-wife in the UK and absolute poor parenting on my part ... worse thing is he's a really great guy too .... other than this absolute blight on his character. He finds it very amusing but then again he ahsn't seen my will has he!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have an ancestor who was Mayor of Croydon, but this, this is far, far worse, you poor man

#pray for tim

Indeed #prayfortim it's a life of shame, embarrassment, ridicule but hey, enough about him!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
No Family Members, But I Worked with a Palarse Fan, and that made him a KNUNT like all of them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My Dad, although not a Palace fan, was born in Croydon. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here