Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tottenham Player Ratings

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very surprised by so many giving Chicksen and Hughes the same rating, one looked very comfortable and put in a decent performance in a horrible game, the other looked miles off of the pace :shrug:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They tried hard, but I was not impressed:

Walton - 8 (influenced the scoreline)
Calderon - 5 (too slow)
Chicksen - 6 (too slow)
Hughes - 6 (too slow)
Dunk - 6 (too slow)
Ince - 6
Holla - 6 (too slow)
JFC - 6 (too slow)
KLL - 5 (not fast enough)
McCourt - 6
Colunga - 6 (too slow)

Teixeira 5 (too slow)
Gardner 6 (too slow)

Hyypia 6 (too slow)

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
They tried hard, but I was not impressed:

Walton - 8 (influenced the scoreline)
Calderon - 5 (too slow)
Chicksen - 6 (too slow)
Hughes - 6 (too slow)
Dunk - 6 (too slow)
Ince - 6
Holla - 6 (too slow)
JFC - 6 (too slow)
KLL - 5 (not fast enough)
McCourt - 6
Colunga - 6 (too slow)

Teixeira 5 (too slow)
Gardner 6 (too slow)

Hyypia 6 (too slow)

Let's hope we sign Linford Christie & John Regis in the next window otherwise we're ****ed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Walton 7 Unlucky with the second goal
Chicksen 5
Dunk 8
Hughes 7
Calderon 6
Ince 8
Holla 6
JFC 6
LuaLua 5
McCourt 7
Colunga 5

Gardner 5
Teixeira 5
CMS 6

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Just watched the highlights on seagull player, and Lula Lula looked out main man in anything we did offensively.

By the look of the some the marks given to him on this thread he must have been really crap for the bits not shown.

He does seem to be our marmite player at present.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Walton 6 - OK Debut in difficult circumstances. Flapped very badly early on but recovered from that. Saves were very bread & butter. No chance with the goals
Calderon 6 - Outclassed as expected but fought well
Dunk 7.5 - MOM, he was the only player that didn't look out of place on a premiership pitch. Hope we can keep him but if we're still where we are at Xmas he'll be off
Hughes 5.5 - I expected more from him. With his experience he should have been doing the Greer job and leading the back 4, instead it was left to Dunk
Chicksen 6 - Good defensively, made some good tackles but clueless going forward. He has the pace but he didn't use it offensively
McCourt 6 - Looked tricky, only person to pass the ball through midfield and not lose it constantly
Ince 7 - Probably one of the best games I've seen from him. Was trying to bring the ball forward all the time and didn't often give the ball away
Forster-Caskey 5.5 - Poor from him, offered nothing and gave away possession all to easily
Holla 5 - Anonymous apart from the 1st half free kick which was way too high, That free kick was more suited to a left footer anyway
Lua Lua 6 - Good running, he did worry Spurs but no end product as is so often the case with him
Colunga 5.5 - Feel a bit sorry for him as he was up against 2 decent, big centre backs. The formation we played didn't really allow any support for him hence he performed badly. No coincidence that his best period of the game was when CMS joined him up front

Texeira 4
Gardner 3
CMS N/A

Last edited:

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Saved me the trouble as I agree with your ratings. CMS looked as if he was really up for it but 5 minutes?

This, and the ratings except I thought Holla deserves a bit more. CMS changed it single handedly and showed what intelligent runs behind a defence can do...more of the same from him please.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just watched the highlights on seagull player, and Lula Lula looked out main man in anything we did offensively.

By the look of the some the marks given to him on this thread he must have been really crap for the bits not shown.

He does seem to be our marmite player at present.

It really hinges on whether you thought Lualua was fouled or not? Or if he just fell over?

Highlights missed the best move of the match when Lualua shot narrowly past the post from an acute angle on his left foot.

Some people might not see it as a chance but Butterfield scored for Huddersfield from a similar position.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hughes 5.5 - I expected more from him. With his experience he should have been doing the Greer job and leading the back 4, instead it was left to Dunk

I find this comment very strange (and you're far from alone in this view on here judging by the marks). I thought Hughes and Dunk were our two best players. Hughes reads the game superbly and was impressive in my view. I've been shocked how much lower Hughes is being marked on here than Dunk.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
I find this comment very strange (and you're far from alone in this view on here judging by the marks). I thought Hughes and Dunk were our two best players. Hughes reads the game superbly and was impressive in my view. I've been shocked how much lower Hughes is being marked on here than Dunk.

This is the great thing about these ratings, people see different parts of the game. I like it when I get replies like yours where there is no arguing about who is right or wrong. I put it down to the fact that different people watch different parts of the game. Some people constantly follow the ball others sometimes prefer to watch the off the ball activity. I think this is why some ratings for the same player differ so much.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So, Hypia's tactics are poor as the full backs are played like wingers and we leave too much space in behind them. Then Chicksen gets marked down for not getting forward enough!? Some people just like to pick fault with anything. Do you want full backs staying back or getting forward? Make your minds up!

How about fullbacks that don't stop pretty much dead on the half way line, move forwards with intent to move the ball onto a winger or someone on the inside and then, their job done, move back slightly to provide defensive cover or to give an outlet backwards should one be needed, keeping possession of the ball?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
How about fullbacks that don't stop pretty much dead on the half way line, move forwards with intent to move the ball onto a winger or someone on the inside and then, their job done, move back slightly to provide defensive cover or to give an outlet backwards should one be needed, keeping possession of the ball?

Thank you. Exactly my point. I certainly don't want full backs playing as wingers and not getting back to defend, BUT on at least two or three occasions last night Chicksen could/should have run up the wing to give us an outlet when in possession.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is the great thing about these ratings, people see different parts of the game. I like it when I get replies like yours where there is no arguing about who is right or wrong. I put it down to the fact that different people watch different parts of the game. Some people constantly follow the ball others sometimes prefer to watch the off the ball activity. I think this is why some ratings for the same player differ so much.

Yes, it's funny. I sometimes think I watch different games to a lot of people. Pretty much agree with your other ratings although might have given JFC a slightly higher mark.

It wasn't terrible last night but we never looked like pulling off a shock. Might have been interesting if we'd been given the first half penalty for handball (which looking at the replays certainly could have been given).

One thing that everyone agrees on was how poor the subs were last night. Texeira and Gardner never got into the game and certainly didn't provide the fresh legs we needed when 1-0 down!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Thank you. Exactly my point. I certainly don't want full backs playing as wingers and not getting back to defend, BUT on at least two or three occasions last night Chicksen could/should have run up the wing to give us an outlet when in possession.

I agree with this. Chicksen did okay defensively. At Huddersfield he was awful but last night, with a lot of protection, he did okay against Townsend. However, going forward, he looked very poor and didn't know what to do when he got over the halfway line. There is definitely a middle ground between the two and Hyypia doesn't appear to know what it is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with this. Chicksen did okay defensively. At Huddersfield he was awful but last night, with a lot of protection, he did okay against Townsend. However, going forward, he looked very poor and didn't know what to do when he got over the halfway line. There is definitely a middle ground between the two and Hyypia doesn't appear to know what it is.

Mainly because the natural (and obvious option) is for the winger to be available running down the line. Sadly KLL did not make that run and Chicksen's only option was to turn round, which looked like he was being clueless. If KLL had not been told to play centrally, he would probably have been there. Sadly another example of the tactics not working.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This, Hughes was outstanding for me every bit as good as Dunk if not better. Felt Dunk was great in the first half, but started to chase the ball too much in the second and was caught out wide left a couple of times, which left us open.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Absolutely. I was there with my Dad and we were screaming at him to run. I suspect it's because he felt he was about to be dispossessed that he stopped, but if he'd run he may have been able to get the ball away or, at worst, if an opponent had taken the ball from him it would at least have been further into their half, slowing any potential attack.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it's funny. I sometimes think I watch different games to a lot of people. Pretty much agree with your other ratings although might have given JFC a slightly higher mark.

It wasn't terrible last night but we never looked like pulling off a shock. Might have been interesting if we'd been given the first half penalty for handball (which looking at the replays certainly could have been given).

One thing that everyone agrees on was how poor the subs were last night. Texeira and Gardner never got into the game and certainly didn't provide the fresh legs we needed when 1-0 down!

Yes definitely agree about the subs, Hyypia seemed to be treating the game as if he was protecting a 1st leg lead. Can't remember at what point he took Paddy off but we were definitely losing and that wasn't the time to take off the person most likely to create something. CMS needed to come on quite a bit before he actually did as well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
Dunk 7.86 (94mins, 18 votes)

The Rest:
Walton 7.22 (94mins, 18 votes)
Ince 6.67 (94mins, 18 votes)
Hughes 6.42 (94mins, 18 votes)
>Mackail-Smith 6.38 (5mins, 4 votes)