Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's Support.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's old...so old. They've heard it all before, a bit like when opposing fans tell us that they can see us holding hands. I'm glad few stooped to a well-worn cliche like that.

Yeah its not like our other THREE songs are boring or anything!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Really? I think this season is the worst home atmosphere we've had at the Amex.

Yes, last season was so boring from a quality perspective, that people stopped bothering. As a consequence this year feels like the North West corner are making a concerted effort to improve things.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I was surprised at how poor the Spurs support was, from where I was standing the only song I could make out was "Spurs go marching in" and even that was fairly quiet. I understand that it wasn't that big of a game but even so...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Four thousand, lots of ' once-a-seasoners ' lots of youngsters ( half-term )...it was a one-off. The fans were out to enjoy themselves irrespective of the outcome.
But don't get carried away by it. It was no different from any smaller club having a tilit at the big boys. It was decent support but it wasn't anything special compared to some of the bigger BHA games over the years. Some fans get carried away by a bit of noise thinking its exceptional. It isn't.
Spurs fans were relatively quiet as there was nothing for them to get worked up about. They had nothing to beat and were largely going through the motions. Something we are not used to at present.
spot on.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
]Yeah I saw that. Good to see. We need welcome visual symbols that remind people of the need for respect.
[/U]
I didn't hear any Hsssing at all. Agree with comments that the support was good, but nothing like what many teams can muster in terms of vocal support. Some European teams are just brilliant and I wish we could shake ourselves out of our south coast lethargy and match that. Unfortunately, a lot of this gets lost as we make football more a family oriented experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the trade off.

At the end of the day, we're Brighton. We've had some great vocal support days - but few at home. Looking back, the last time the whole stadium really got animated for the whole game was against Burnley when we ended up with 9 v 11, and even then it was a backs to the wall atmosphere. I'll probably be reminded of a load of other home games now, but my point is that on the south coast we don't have that much to be angry about and we've lost a that part of civic tribal pride (not necessarily a bad thing as we live in a very tolerant and welcoming city) that results in a football ground being a cauldron to go to. I'm sure there's many other reasons too.

It affects all clubs. Look at Liverpool. There's a city that has huge problems; a tribe with massive tribal pride, but the price of football now and the way it is now accessible only to the middle classes means that Anfield has become a library. Where once the kop used to be awesome not just because of the song sung at the beginning, but because of the sheer weight of sound that came off it, now you hear nothing. And it spreads. Two year's ago I was at the League Cup Final and the same feeling of lost unity was on the terraces there.

Excuse the ramble. I'm sure I could express this better if I had the time.

Jesus wept have I logged onto a football board or mumsnet ? Stadiums lack atmosphere because they're filled with drips like you talking about 'respect' and living in a 'tolerant and welcoming city'

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah its not like our other THREE songs are boring or anything!!

Our other THREE songs are in support of the team.

The one you were talking about is a tired joke that just isn't funny anymore. It wouldn't wind them up, they'd laugh at us.

In my opinion, like!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hit a nerve,it wasn't special ,like I said too many london daytrippers, but you carry on in your fantasy

I am in no 'fantasy', and you haven't hit a nerve.

I just find it dull when self-proclaimed uber-fans are so desperate to slag off the support at games like at Spurs last night whilst letting us all know which distant outposts they have visited that make them better than the rest of us.

It was loud. Louder than could have been expected, given the failings of the team before this match, and during it. Nobody is going to suggest that it was like some South American Ultras, or something, but it was good support.

I bet you love it when you are in a really small away support. That really sets you apart,doesn't it?

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
In a nutshell.

Your support was very good, no argument. Support for the 'underdog' team in cup ties at a 'bigger' club usually is.
I think the best support i have seen at the Lane in recent seasons is probably Hearts while Dinamo Zagreb only bought about 400 but i have never seen anything like it - incredible fans.
As for the 'hissing/Shushing', i think it was more the latter.

ha yes all with shirts off bouncing for the duration of half time just mentalists

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Jesus wept have I logged onto a football board or mumsnet ? Stadiums lack atmosphere because they're filled with drips like you talking about 'respect' and living in a 'tolerant and welcoming city'

God you're right. I've seen the light.

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I saw that. Good to see. We need welcome visual symbols that remind people of the need for respect.

I didn't hear any Hsssing at all. Agree with comments that the support was good, but nothing like what many teams can muster in terms of vocal support. Some European teams are just brilliant and I wish we could shake ourselves out of our south coast lethargy and match that. Unfortunately, a lot of this gets lost as we make football more a family oriented experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the trade off.

At the end of the day, we're Brighton. We've had some great vocal support days - but few at home. Looking back, the last time the whole stadium really got animated for the whole game was against Burnley when we ended up with 9 v 11, and even then it was a backs to the wall atmosphere. I'll probably be reminded of a load of other home games now, but my point is that on the south coast we don't have that much to be angry about and we've lost a that part of civic tribal pride (not necessarily a bad thing as we live in a very tolerant and welcoming city) that results in a football ground being a cauldron to go to. I'm sure there's many other reasons too.

It affects all clubs. Look at Liverpool. There's a city that has huge problems; a tribe with massive tribal pride, but the price of football now and the way it is now accessible only to the middle classes means that Anfield has become a library. Where once the kop used to be awesome not just because of the song sung at the beginning, but because of the sheer weight of sound that came off it, now you hear nothing. And it spreads. Two year's ago I was at the League Cup Final and the same feeling of lost unity was on the terraces there.

Excuse the ramble. I'm sure I could express this better if I had the time.
ha ha what a lemon !!!!
regards
DR

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Pogue Mahone;6638381 I bet you love it when you are in a really small away support. That really sets you apart said:
I was at Colchester about five years ago, it was a Monday night and the game was on Sky, it was probably the coldest I've ever been at a football ground and there were about 250 of us there. It was crap, utterly crap. Give me an evening game in London with 4,000 of us, anytime.

Phlard

Oct 22, 2014
Tottenham fans after the game we spoke to on the train were impressed by our support. Although they said they heard hissing from our lot. I didn't hear anything personally.

I'm afraid to say they are right - although only one real instance from a VERY SMALL NUMBER. Took my two boys and we had a couple of real idiots behind us... Clear Anti semitism/hitler reference in the 1st half. Everyone around us was stunned and I told them to belt up. Two thick / plastered idiots.

Do I take further???

Jan 30, 2008
I've had far better days away. The team gave us nothing worth getting up for, I found it all a little flat.
Best part by far was when everyone noticed Leo. Apart from that & one or 2 Albion chants, I just found it all a bit "meh".
The team & support need to be in synch' & at the moment we're not seeing much to get us out of our seats.
Some chants are just too tinpot; "You're support is fu^*-g sh**", that really is dire.
As for the planks who insisted on the "2 men went to burn down Palace" went on & on; I thought it was great that people were telling them to shut up.

I'd say it was a great following for such a poor team, when probably not one of us expected to get anything out of the game. Average atmosphere though, although I was impressed with Spurs turnout too.

Bournemouth will be far more edgy & stressful, so if the team turn up then it will probably make for a decent atmosphere. I won't be holding my breath though.
mate you forgot the we're the right/left side brighton boys ,now that is cringy:wink:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here