Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What I've learned from tonight's game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I take it you

i)Don't have 20 something kids
ii)Have never had need to mentor late teenagers/early 20s kids.

I am amazed how anyone can criticise the team tonight. Playing one of the top 10 teams in England, we only lost 2-0.

Let's get behind them and get point(s) on Saturday.

POSITIVITY PLEASE ? FFS!

TNBA

TTF

Top Ten? Think they are currently 11th!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
He shouldn't be immune from criticism, but to be called useless *****. He'll be laughing as he's earning god knows how many times more than you whilst doing the one thing he loves.

Tonight, we showed we can defend; but in numbers. Dunk was bossing the back four, very, very composed. Contrast that against Liverpool a few years ago in the FA Cup. I saw a few comments on Chicksen, mentioning him losing possession a lot, then talking about Lua Lua's performance and not a single mention of the amount of times Lua Lua lost possession...

Chicksen made some great tackles, he, like JFC and Dunk can only get better. He appears to have a bit of pace about him too.

Lua Lua looked to me like he was playing like a cup final. He had moments when he dipped in concentration and effort, but let's be honest; we don't see him start and play a full game often. It didn't surprise me when he was subbed because of an injury, he did make a few breaks and initiated some counter attacks but the issue is he only had Colunga to play it on to.

Colunga had, what I thought, a decent game. His service was very very restricted due to the defensive nature we set out to do, alas, was neglected with opportunities. He got some on target, shame they didn't go in. But he showed some quality that I think will come in handy. That said, I cannot see him and CMS forming a partnership; too similar. I honestly think this is where O'Grady may need to step up. Many bemoan about O'Grady, he may not necessarily need to score for us. But lay off the ball for CMS/Colunga to run on to. Colunga would probably benefit from a 4-2-3-1 system, in which he sits behind O'Grady. Could have McCourt to his right and Lua Lua to his left, swap them around for March and or Tex.

JFC as a deep lying play maker and Holla/Ince in the holding position.

If we are to play a wing back system, then the holding midfielder must full back into a centre back role so we transition from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3. Laying 3 across the back when the wing backs are further up the picture should elevate any pressure for when the counter attack happens. It also means the defence isn't as narrow or spacious 3 spread out should adequately cover the defence. However, this is dependent on the team we're playing. Although, I'm certain that'll this mean we're not as narrow in the midfield, we can get out wide and have creativity in the centre.

I really ought to be the manager.

I really can't believe people are saying Chicksen had a good game, looked nervous throughout and his ball retention was bad even by the general low standards.

It was just a nothing game tonight, a training practice for Spurs in the first half before the goals in the second. Apart from LuaLua and Paddy a little bit we offered nothing.

A game to forget

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4-2-3-1

e

I think with our team and determined to play a 4-2-3-1 (like Spurs) we could do no worse than copy their tactics. Their full-backs played as full-backs, much deeper and highly effective. But ventured forward a few times when safe to do so.

I think altogether their pressing game worked because of their high energy. I do not think they can play like that every week. They had forwards able to pressurise when we tried to play the ball out of defence.

QPR did the same thing against us at the Amex and blew up as the game wore on. I thought Spurs were going to blow up as well, just before they scored.

I don't think we set out defensive, especially with the team selection. It is just that we had no choice. They were too fit and fast for our passing game. Newcastle had even less possession and beat them in the PL last time out.

If Spurs played as badly as they did in the European match last week (they won 5-1), we would have got a few chances. I think we were unfortunate to be playing away against Spurs Reserves on top of their form in all respects except creating chances, shooting poorly from long range.

Even so, Spurs were rather predictable and against teams as fast and quick as they are, they will hit a brick wall.

I don't think any of our players played badly or even made mistakes. They are just not good enough on the day.

Last edited:

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
What I learned was
1. Walton had a solid debut. Would probably be disappointed he wasn't closer to the first.
2. Chicken is a solid attacking fullback - just needs a final ball.
3. Dunk was immense - but like Walton, probably disappointed at the first goal as he got sucked out of position.
4. Hughes is a squad player.
5. Calderon - all heart. Bleeds blue and white. Both goals came for the right side though.
6. Ince - I'm waiting for this raw potential to be realized. He still hasn't "grown into his body". He seems lost 95% of the time - it's like he's told to not venture more than 5 yards from the centre halfs.
7 holla - the guy can ping the ball and pick a pass. Tidy.
8 paddy - the guy knows how to play without having to try. Can glide past players and ping the ball. Needs to play more central if sammi doesn't like the work ethic.
9 jfc - a solid, if unremarkable player. Today was tough as he cant play at that speed.
10. KLL - touched the ball 200 times more than paddy. Was 1,000 times less effective. Cannot control the ball and runs down blind alleys all the time. I cannot have him starting any game because we lose it every time he touches it (or scores a miracle goal once in a blue moon).
11. Coulunga - tidy player, but not a striker.
12. Tex - no impact in 20 minutes - don't think he made a pass
13. Gardner - same as tex
14. CMS - did more in 5 minutes than kll, tex, JFC, and Gardner combined. Still not the answer to our striker issue, but the best we have.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
What I learned was
1. Walton had a solid debut. Would probably be disappointed he wasn't closer to the first.
2. Chicken is a solid attacking fullback - just needs a final ball.
3. Dunk was immense - but like Walton, probably disappointed at the first goal as he got sucked out of position.
4. Hughes is a squad player.
5. Calderon - all heart. Bleeds blue and white. Both goals came for the right side though.
6. Ince - I'm waiting for this raw potential to be realized. He still hasn't "grown into his body". He seems lost 95% of the time - it's like he's told to not venture more than 5 yards from the centre halfs.
7 holla - the guy can ping the ball and pick a pass. Tidy.
8 paddy - the guy knows how to play without having to try. Can glide past players and ping the ball. Needs to play more central if sammi doesn't like the work ethic.
9 jfc - a solid, if unremarkable player. Today was tough as he cant play at that speed.
10. KLL - touched the ball 200 times more than paddy. Was 1,000 times less effective. Cannot control the ball and runs down blind alleys all the time. I cannot have him starting any game because we lose it every time he touches it (or scores a miracle goal once in a blue moon).
11. Coulunga - tidy player, but not a striker.
12. Tex - no impact in 20 minutes - don't think he made a pass
13. Gardner - same as tex
14. CMS - did more in 5 minutes than kll, tex, JFC, and Gardner combined. Still not the answer to our striker issue, but the best we have.

Sounds a good summary, many thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The amount of people creaming themselves over the fact their team lost is mind numbing.

Sure it's a t'internet forum and everything is cranked up to 11.
But it's still your team, the team you choose to support.
The team that has in someway made a connection to you in your life.

We held our own against a top 10 side.
Had the ref been better (or KLL not spent the game trying to con him) we could have got something.

We played youngsters all over the pitch and they did well.

We played a system that was working for us.

Yet some couldn't wait to smash their keyboards with their hard-ons, just to be the first to say how s**t everything is.

I guess it's the sad and all to predictable state of modern football and those 'fans' who follow it.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Speed of mind...Spurs players were a yard ahead.....also they not afraid to run at pace with ball at their feet to take players on. Not lightweight in a challenge like the majority of Brighton players tonight

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He shouldn't be immune from criticism, but to be called useless *****. He'll be laughing as he's earning god knows how many times more than you whilst doing the one thing he loves.

Tonight, we showed we can defend; but in numbers. Dunk was bossing the back four, very, very composed. Contrast that against Liverpool a few years ago in the FA Cup. I saw a few comments on Chicksen, mentioning him losing possession a lot, then talking about Lua Lua's performance and not a single mention of the amount of times Lua Lua lost possession...

Chicksen made some great tackles, he, like JFC and Dunk can only get better. He appears to have a bit of pace about him too.

Lua Lua looked to me like he was playing like a cup final. He had moments when he dipped in concentration and effort, but let's be honest; we don't see him start and play a full game often. It didn't surprise me when he was subbed because of an injury, he did make a few breaks and initiated some counter attacks but the issue is he only had Colunga to play it on to.

Colunga had, what I thought, a decent game. His service was very very restricted due to the defensive nature we set out to do, alas, was neglected with opportunities. He got some on target, shame they didn't go in. But he showed some quality that I think will come in handy. That said, I cannot see him and CMS forming a partnership; too similar. I honestly think this is where O'Grady may need to step up. Many bemoan about O'Grady, he may not necessarily need to score for us. But lay off the ball for CMS/Colunga to run on to. Colunga would probably benefit from a 4-2-3-1 system, in which he sits behind O'Grady. Could have McCourt to his right and Lua Lua to his left, swap them around for March and or Tex.

JFC as a deep lying play maker and Holla/Ince in the holding position.

If we are to play a wing back system, then the holding midfielder must full back into a centre back role so we transition from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3. Laying 3 across the back when the wing backs are further up the picture should elevate any pressure for when the counter attack happens. It also means the defence isn't as narrow or spacious 3 spread out should adequately cover the defence. However, this is dependent on the team we're playing. Although, I'm certain that'll this mean we're not as narrow in the midfield, we can get out wide and have creativity in the centre.

Hope you've dusted off your cv, cos there is gonna be a vacancy pretty damn soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I learnt that we are NOT premier league ready.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I learnt that despite having collected midfielders in the summer none of them are good enough.

Holla shows glimpses of being a very good player, Ince looked lost and last night JFC was muscled off the ball at every opportunity.

JFC could be a good player in a team with movement and if he is given space to play. However in this team he looks poor and lost due to the way we are playing.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I sat on the shelf with Spurs mates. Before the game I was saying how poor we had been recently to which they responded that so were they, that teams from lower leagues always look good at WHL and that we couldn’t be worse than QPR. At half-time their view was that I had been right and that we really are s***; slow, poor control, no ambition, no movement, easy to close down, much worse than QPR. They conceded that there had been some spirited last-ditch defending but overall saw it as a game between a poor Premiership side and a poor Championship side. These were people that were full of praise for our performance there 10 years ago. Comparing their response last night to the way Arsenal-supporting friends viewed our cup performance at the Amex shows how far we have plummeted in a short space of time.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
We are all the gear with no idea.

Poor squad which is made to look worse by poor formation and tactics. Lacking fight and spirit. We looked beaten from the 1st minute, only started playing when we were beaten at the end like all poor teams do.

Hypia should go and an overhaul of football operations needs to start now.

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
The main thing I've learnt over the past three games is that we are missing passion, leadership and bite. I was concerned in the first interview of Hyypia's on Seagulls World when his first comment was 'when we go through a rough patch, the fans need to get behind the team' as if that is what we should all be expecting. Well - it's turned out bang on a prediction and pretty much the modus operandi. Compare the grit and confidence of Tim Sherwood on the UStream last night even sat in a press box with the flaccid Hyppia and his wet flannel sidekick and it's no wonder the team is as it is. We have a mid-table Championship squad that look clueless, directionless and spiritless. When the camera spans to Hyypia and Jones, its like looking at a couple of stoned grandpas at a bingo hall. I can't imagine what their team talks are like. I'd rather watch a hedgehog in hibernation. Bloom should move the earth and SPEND some of the transfer kitty to land a proven manager like Sherwood or McDermott to inject fire and play tactics that are proven to work, not a kooky experiment that is yet to deliver.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Usual nonsense from a loud but very much in the minority few about JFC, laughable really.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
JFC needs to be played further forward but the system and what he is asked to be done does not allow this.

He has shown an eye for goal, but covering full backs and being asked to receive the ball on our 18 yard box is not playing to his strengths.

He will be inconsistent at his age, but is suffering like others due to Hypia formation and tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here