Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Brighton and Hove Albion **** Official Match Thread ****

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
When we lose the midfield (as expected) we have nothing in the locker. No pace for breakaways, no shooting and the defence cannot hold out for ever. I think Bruno would have had a very good chance at the stopping the crosses cum shots that led to their goals. Just as we were beginning to get it together we conceded. We all knew that our central defenders were not Premier League quick enough. None of them are in the Championship.

Spurs pressing game gave them much more possession. That's OK as they were running a little out of steam and then they scored.

Lualua never had so much trouble with McNaughton. Just showed one glimpse of what he could do.

Spurs played like we should at home. Dominated the game and had alert quick strikers. Their full backs did not wander forward at all. I think they figured their possession would mean that they would not concede and sooner or later their pressure would tell.

Four quarter chances for us, lots for them. Lualua tight angle on his left foot, Dunk lack of composure over the bar, Colunga on his left foot, and I've forgotten the other one. I think Tozer intercepted.

I think the main problem was that Spurs played well, much better than they did in the European game last mid-week. That game they kept losing possession. This time they kept the ball.

Fnarr fnarr.

Viz%27s+innuendo-loving+Finbarr+Saunders.jpg

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Only Rohan Ince got close enough to Spurs to actually commit a foul.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Football league (cup) show just started on BBC 1. Looks like we are second game*on.

At least we are not Man City.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for the screenshot ☺ As i said earlier in the thread (below)
But I would like to add "Sami out"

Most people would expect the possession to look 'similar' to that (though not quite as one sided), but whoever was commenting on the game on the BBC website, Jermain Jenas I think, made us sound positively deadly on the counter attack...these stats suggest otherwise.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If we'd done that we'd have conceded a hatful

Unless you are psychic, how can you honestly say that?

Anyway, if we'dve gone and conceded 5 but we'd tried to score and attack, then wouldn't that have been better? Are you seriously saying that you'd rather we sit back and batten down the hatches on a game that we probably aren't going to win? Madness!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unless you are psychic, how can you honestly say that?

Anyway, if we'dve gone and conceded 5 but we'd tried to score and attack, then wouldn't that have been better? Are you seriously saying that you'd rather we sit back and batten down the hatches on a game that we probably aren't going to win? Madness!

Seems to me every time we launch an attack and have a shot we are leaving ourselves exposed to the counter attack that often ends up 10 seconds later with the ball nestling in our net. To go gung ho against Spurs would, imo, ended up with us being thrashed. The half baked, ill thought out system employed by Sami leaves us wide open to the counter attack.

I hope we stick 11 men behind the ball at Bournemouth too, the only way we are likely to avoid a heavy defeat.

As you may have gathered I'm not a big fan of the Hyypia way and go into every game hoping for damage limitation these days. I have no faith in us being able to take the game to the opposition without conceding.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
cf. Spurs v Newcastle stats

View attachment 59762

Stats were predictable enough.

I think Spurs are a bit like us. Normally, they cannot score despite all their possession.

Tonight, it was getting around the back (wingers) and the pace and alertness of Lamela and Kean.

Ive only seen the goals, but it looks like both game from Wingers being on the correct wing for once - as we said before it makes a big difference

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spurs were too narrow in the first half, which suited us with so many players behind the ball. We defended well, although I did feel the home side were in second gear.

For me it was woeful, not because of any lack of application, but because beyond an industrious effort we had nothing to offer. If there was a game plan moving from defence to attack, this wasn't properly understood by the team, or they just couldn't execute it. I sense a loss of confidence. We were playing good football and not getting the results, now we are no longer playing good football.

I wasn't expecting a victory, I just hoped to see the team put in an intelligent shift. We got industry, but something was lacking. I think we need a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here