Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott and Chris Hughton are still available . . .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nothing will change with the players we currently have, specifically the forwards who simply aren't good enough for the Championship.

Sacking Hyppia isn't a solution, it's a mis-diagnosis of the problem.

Instead of spending £ XXX paying off Hyppia's contract, we should get O'Grady out on loan to Barnsley. If O'Grady cannot then up his goal tally in League One then we should put him on the transfer list, and bring in someone else.

McDermott is now a scout at Arsenal - why would he want to leave them........... He's probably eyeing up Wenger's job, not Samii's.

Disagree with this. Squadwise I think we are better than our position in the table suggests - its what Sami is doing with that squad which is the problem. He may not have the players at his disposal to play the system he would like, but persisting with it regardless, when it patently is not working, is the reason why we are where we are. If he remains inflexible and doesn't change this approach pronto, then I think an experienced manager who knows the Championship would be able to get FAR more out of this group of players than Hyypia and his "wingbacks - with - no - wingers" philosophy.

As for McDermott, if he thinks he's in with even the slightest sniff of a chance of stepping into Wengers shoes, then he's got more delusion than the average X-Factor cretin. He'd grab this job with both hands were it offered.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Yes, and that's a major worry for me. Part of me hopes that we do get thrashed tonight and on Saturday, IF it finally brings Tony Bloom to his senses.

Plus if he does pull the plug, l hope that thiis time he does go for a tried and tested manager and not a comparative unknown. You aren't playing poker now Tony.
Careful what you wish for. Have you seen the film Bedazled?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Disagree with this. Squadwise I think we are better than our position in the table suggests - its what Sami is doing with that squad which is the problem. He may not have the players at his disposal to play the system he would like, but persisting with it regardless, when it patently is not working, is the reason why we are where we are. If he remains inflexible and doesn't change this approach pronto, then I think an experienced manager who knows the Championship would be able to get FAR more out of this group of players than Hyypia and his "wingbacks - with - no - wingers" philosophy.

As for McDermott, if he thinks he's in with even the slightest sniff of a chance of stepping into Wengers shoes, then he's got more delusion than the average X-Factor cretin. He'd grab this job with both hands were it offered.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I think Arsene's job is safe for as long as he wants it. Plus, if he were to go, would the Arsenal board turn to McDermott? I think not.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And I guess the new man would be a guaranteed success

Of course not.. Is anything guaranteed in football? (save Chelsea and Manchester City continually finishing in the top four of the Premier League of course).

But surely almost anything is better than we have now.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

You've hit the nail on the head where you say Hyppia doesn't have the players at his disposal he would like.

He doesn't have an Ulloa, he doesn't have a Murray, and he doesn't have a Vicente.

He also doesn't have two wingers, we have Lua Lua and that's it.

We don't have a Noone, we don't have a (Elliot not Joe) Bennett. We are forcing Calderon to play a wide role which is completely alien to him.

Does Greer ever use Calderon as a winger? No. Calde is completely ignored by the defenders when releasing the ball upfield.

We need better players, both up front and out wide. An experienced ex-prem centre-forward for a start. Then some of those 'barn door' shots from midfielders outside the box might actually end up as passes to a forward alert enough to react.

O'Grady missed a golden opportunity to put us 2-1 up in front of the North Stand against the Millers, but he just stood still and watched the ball go straight pass him in the area. His lack of an attempt to connect with the ball spoke volumes for his ability as a striker... It's almost like watching Mark McCammon mk II.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, and that's a major worry for me. Part of me hopes that we do get thrashed tonight and on Saturday, IF it finally brings Tony Bloom to his senses.

Plus if he does pull the plug, l hope that thiis time he does go for a tried and tested manager and not a comparative unknown. You aren't playing poker now Tony.

I've never wanted to see the Albion get thrashed, can't understand the mentality myself of anyone who supports the club wanting us to lose.

Weren't Poyet, Garcia, Mullery all untried at this level when they started with the club, yet they all did reasonably well getting us into the top six, didn't they?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
His lack of an attempt to connect with the ball spoke volumes for his ability as a striker...

I agree it was a poor effort, and evidence of someone who has totally lost belief in himself. Yet he scored more league goals in this division than Ulloa last season, in a side that was relegated. From what I've heard from supporters of previous clubs he has been at, he's not a bad player, he's someone who is playing badly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Of course not.. Is anything guaranteed in football? (save Chelsea and Manchester City continually finishing in the top four of the Premier League of course).

But surely almost anything is better than we have now.
..no I don't think just 'anything' is better ..in fact it could be worse ..I don't see anything that a couple of wins couldn't change things .,the question is how long u give it ..thankfully I don't have to make that decision ..but of course your opinion is just as valid as mine

Edit ..just noticed you said 'almost' anything

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Either/Or, doesn't bother me. But I'd prefer McDermott.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Agree and would enjoy a few weeks of positivity on here for a week or two. (Until we lose a game !)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've hit the nail on the head where you say Hyppia doesn't have the players at his disposal he would like.

He doesn't have an Ulloa, he doesn't have a Murray, and he doesn't have a Vicente.

He also doesn't have two wingers, we have Lua Lua and that's it.

We don't have a Noone, we don't have a Bennett. We are forcing Calderon to play a wide role which is completely alien to him.

Does Greer ever use Calderon as a winger? No. Calde is completely ignored by the defenders when releasing the ball upfield.

We need better players, both up front and out wide. An experienced ex-prem centre-forward for a start. Then some of those 'barn door' shots from midfielders outside the box might actually end up as passes to a forward alert enough to react. O'Grady missed a golden opportunity to put us 2-1 up in front of the North Stand against the Millers, but he just stood still and watched the ball go straight pass him in the area. His lack of an attempt to connect with the ball spoke volumes for his ability as a striker...

The squad is unquestionably weaker, and thats not Hyypia's fault. And I agree with much of what you put here. But I still think a better manager would get far more out of this group of players by playing a more orthodox formation, ie keeping a solid back 4 and enabling our fullbacks to *primarily* defend, but foray forward and combine with someone out wide when the time is right.

O'Grady, Corlunga and Baldock have been poor so far but then they're feeding off scraps, the service into them is almost non-existant. So when they DO miss one of the (meagre) opportunities we manage to carve out, its all the more frustrating and costly, because those opportunities come along so rarely and we know they're probably going to get 1 or 2 chances (TOPS) per game.

Those three players have now played a combined total of 28 games betweem them, and there has been ONE goal - Corlunga's at Swindon. Now if you can tell me thats because they are all missing hatfuls of chances then I'd agree, we need new strikers. But they're not missing hatfuls of chances. Hyypia's system simply doesn't enable the team to be effective enough to create those chances. For me, the *main* reason for that is because we never have an overlap down the wings, therefore we never get in behind teams, and we never stretch them.

Its not the players that need changing, its Hyypia's tactics. And if he won't change them, then IMO we need to change managers.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Sami was given a three year contract so I guess to dismiss him would cost the club over £1 million plus additional sums for coaches etc. leaving That would only increase losses and eat into or extinguish sums for new players.

Given FFP and our ongoing losses I am not sure at this stage the club would be looking to commit to a new manager and provide significant sums for player purchase.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've got a sneaky feeling we're going to beat Spurs on pens tonight though, which will paper over the cracks and keep Sami in a job for another few weeks in IMHO.

I hope you are right about beating Spurs.

I have a sneaky feeling they will rip us apart 7 or 8 nil :nono:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've never wanted to see the Albion get thrashed, can't understand the mentality myself of anyone who supports the club wanting us to lose.

Weren't Poyet, Garcia, Mullery all untried at this level when they started with the club, yet they all did reasonably well getting us into the top six, didn't they?

Mullery came from Fulham reserves to us
after Mr Bamber saw him threaten one of his own players............is he really to old to play for us :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sami was given a three year contract so I guess to dismiss him would cost the club over £1 million plus additional sums for coaches etc. leaving That would only increase losses and eat into or extinguish sums for new players.

Given FFP and our ongoing losses I am not sure at this stage the club would be looking to commit to a new manager and provide significant sums for player purchase.

I would be very surprised if TB handed Hyypia a contract that meant we had to pay him the ENTIRE term of the remainder of his deal if we wanted to bin him. There will be clauses, possibly performance-related, that would see some kind of compensation struck if we gave him his P45, but certainly not 3 years worth of wages.

If Hyypia took us back to League One, then I'm certain the losses we would suffer in the long term would eclipse whatever payoff he would have been due.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here