Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could being TOO SLOW this time cause relegation?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry I was quoting something I read in the papers that we hadnt won during October for 5 years.

Don't believe all you read in the papers. It's not even home matches because the week before we beat Yeovil 2-0 at home.
How do you think we went top of the table 24th Sept 2010, and stayed there until the end of the season?

My apologies, it's 4 years not three.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Sorry I was quoting something I read in the papers that we hadnt won during October for 5 years.
Not having a pop, but wasn't this season a chance to put it right? Or do new managers get told 'dont worry, the fans will give you Aug and Sep to settle, then you don't need to win in Oct because we never do, but you might need to pick up a result in early Nov to keep them off your back...'?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Everybody is panicking unduly, we have not won in October for 5 years and this year was no different. We will stay undefeatefd for a few weeks and pick up some wins on the way, possibly starting at Bournemouth followed by Wigan at home. Midtable finish is what I expect although a little disillusioned with TB statement at the fans forum to look at the squad after the transfer window. I expect him to put that right soon and hope I am not wrong to put my faith in TB.

But we didn't win in September this year either

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
The club have been way too slow in signing players, they kept saying right at the start of the summer that signings happen later in a World Cup Summer and sadly that has become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Hyypia has been too slow out of the blocks as well. I find it incredible that he didn't have his back room team, including an assistant, ready to go prior to getting the job. I know a few people turned him down but he really should have had this organised a lot better. It feels like he has stumbled in to this job without any really plan. Poyet always talked of a project, for all his faults, he pretty much knew how, where and why through the course of the period he was here; Hyppia doesn't fill me with any confidence in this regard.

But ultimately the club should have asked these questions when they interviewed him and offered him the job. Perhaps they did, but something has clearly gone wrong since he was appointed in June.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
From the Argus back in August:

"Sami Hyypia came out on top for the Albion job after a number of high calibre applicants were considered.

The former Liverpool defender and Bayer Leverkusen coach will be officially unveiled on Thursday.

And Seagulls chief executive Paul Barber has revealed he and chairman Tony Bloom took their time in considering all the applicants and are happy they have got the right man to fill the Amex hot-seat.

Barber said: “We are delighted with Sami's appointment. We’re very pleased that we had time to follow a carefully constructed and private process. "As ever, the chairman has been incredibly diligent on behalf of the club.

The timing of the managerial change has allowed us to be very thorough and to analyse a number of high calibre applicants.

“In addition to our own meetings with the candidates, we were able to use the time available to speak to various people within the game - including players, coaches and administrators - who'd worked with each candidate to build up extensive profiles - and it was Sami who came out on top.”

Who were these people?!?!?!? Gerrard, Phil Thompson and the Greek bloke who dragged Pompey through administration?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As it happens I am sitting at home having been in Princess Royal Hospital yesterday but that was only to have some teeth and roots taken out not because of my allegiance to BHA or views on them:smile:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think what could cause relegation is not so much being too slow at anything but rather the worst performing collection of so called strikers i can ever recall in over 40 years of following the Albion! If anyone is still happily complacent thinking we are not in danger i would encourage them to take a step back and look at the facts! Our forwards are NOT scoring at all, they are not even chipping in with the odd goal! This is now becoming critical and a few more weeks of this will see us stuck in the bottom 3 and once you are there and still there around Xmas time then it is a relegation battle im afraid. TB and his less than impressive executives need to wake up.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think what could cause relegation is not so much being too slow at anything but rather the worst performing collection of so called strikers i can ever recall in over 40 years of following the Albion! If anyone is still happily complacent thinking we are not in danger i would encourage them to take a step back and look at the facts! Our forwards are NOT scoring at all, they are not even chipping in with the odd goal! This is now becoming critical and a few more weeks of this will see us stuck in the bottom 3 and once you are there and still there around Xmas time then it is a relegation battle im afraid. TB and his less than impressive executives need to wake up.

Unfortunately like a lot of our players the strikers look like they are just going through the motions with no confidence or belief, This is where you need strong leadership from the manager to install that confidence and belief in the players but it's not happening.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
trouble is , poker is a game of patience....football isn't .....if you fold on 6 or seven consecutive hands i poker you can still come out on top...if you fail to win for six or seven consecutive games in football you will soon find yourself in the shithouse....and that is a fact chaps.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
From the Argus back in August:

"Sami Hyypia came out on top for the Albion job after a number of high calibre applicants were considered.

The former Liverpool defender and Bayer Leverkusen coach will be officially unveiled on Thursday.

And Seagulls chief executive Paul Barber has revealed he and chairman Tony Bloom took their time in considering all the applicants and are happy they have got the right man to fill the Amex hot-seat.

Barber said: “We are delighted with Sami's appointment. We’re very pleased that we had time to follow a carefully constructed and private process. "As ever, the chairman has been incredibly diligent on behalf of the club.

The timing of the managerial change has allowed us to be very thorough and to analyse a number of high calibre applicants.

“In addition to our own meetings with the candidates, we were able to use the time available to speak to various people within the game - including players, coaches and administrators - who'd worked with each candidate to build up extensive profiles - and it was Sami who came out on top.”

Who were these people?!?!?!? Gerrard, Phil Thompson and the Greek bloke who dragged Pompey through administration?!

Given that scenario I would say that Messrs Bloom and Barber will be at least a touch disappointed at the way things have gone to date !!! I would guess that perhaps Sami promised more attacking football and given the previous two managers' styles they may have felt that was right for this time. Unfortunately it is not so far working out as planned.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Taking too SLOW to sack Hyppia will cause us to be relegated, if you take the benchmark of needing 50+ points to be safe then we need 37/38 points from the next 32 matches. At the moment it is 0.92 a match points average and we need now just to be safe to average 1.18 and you can forget top 6 as we need to average 1.93 points a match to reach 75 points and not a hope in hell of that.

Best we can hope for this season now is a bottom 8 finish and good luck selling tickets for next season on that.

There's a lot of truth in that post Ernest, As somebody else also posted on here the other day it's time somebody at the club stood up and took responsibility for what is going on at the moment. If they back the manager then get him in the couple of new players he wants to try and turn this around, If they don't trust him enough to give him more players then get rid of him now.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
There's a lot of truth in that post Ernest, As somebody else also posted on here the other day it's time somebody at the club stood up and took responsibility for what is going on at the moment. If they back the manager then get him in the couple of new players he wants to try and turn this around, If they don't trust him enough to give him more players then get rid of him now.

Exactly this. Time to stick or twist. Preferably twist!!!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
A quicker appointment of Hyypia would've given the bloke a full summer to assess the squad - we were too slow on that front.
An appointment of his preferred No. 2 might've given us a management team that actually knew each other and could work together - leaving it so late on the Lee front left us with Nathan Jones.
A quicker purchase of decent strikers for this level would've allowed us to negotiate on decent terms, rather than bargaining with c.£8m in the bank.
Rumours of Clayton, Ward, etc blew those deals out of the water, why couldn't we use the 'don't tell the fans anything' policy on those ones???
Now we're the last club in the bottom 5 to make a change. Hopefully the delay in getting in someone with knowledge of the Championship won't cost us our place.
Are we too skint to be able to pay off the likes of Hyypia, Burke or Barber???

1) Hyypia was appointed on 6th June.

2) Sammy Lee agreed to join us on 27th June. Two days later he did a runner to Southampton. Hyypia then, after working with Jones, decided he was the best man for the job.

3)Sorry, I don't get it.

4)The club didn't tell us anything did they? I thought it was the Argus that broke those stories....and Naylor got in trouble for it?

5)Whilst I'm unconvinced by Hyypia so far, we're only 14 games in. We're without a win in ten but only three of those games have been defeats. We've not been holding on desperately in the draws either, we've been undone by individual errors and the ridiculous policy of playing our full backs as wingers. It's a mid table squad being poorly managed at the moment. A few tweaks and we'll be fine. Not sacking Hyppia in the next week will not cost us our place in this division. It'll probably cost us any faint hopes of a play off spot but not our place in the division. Obviously if we keep not winning and keep hold of Hyypia until, say the end of February, then it'll be a more appropriate time for panic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here