Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anyone on here look at CV's

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Indeed. And you should expect the shortlisting process to include the potential employer checking you out with a quick Google of your name and any other relevant details.
Indeed, I know someone who facebooks all the female applicants he gets and puts all the rotters into the rejection pile. :lolol:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Spelling is vital - I often reduce a pile of CV's quickly by removing those with mistakes as I work in a field where accuracy and checking is necessary. If a person can't be bothered to do this with their CV, will they be bothered to do it for the work you are paying them for?

This is very true - one thing that irritates pedants like me is poor punctuation - there is no apostrophe in CVs!

It might sound trivial, but you don't want to fail to get an interview because of a silly mistake.

Also add a covering letter to any direct application and make sure you refer to the skills the employer wants. It is very annoying to receive a generic letter which gives the impression of laziness.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
This is very true - one thing that irritates pedants like me is poor punctuation - there is no apostrophe in CVs!

It might sound trivial, but you don't want to fail to get an interview because of a silly mistake.

Also add a covering letter to any direct application and make sure you refer to the skills the employer wants. It is very annoying to receive a generic letter which gives the impression of laziness.

Good job this is only an Internet forum then and not my CV....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good job this is only an Internet forum then and not my CV....
Try to avoid using an employment agency if at all possible and send your CV directly to potential employers. An agency will charge the employer 15-25% of your first years annual salary for adding very little to the whole process.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Try to avoid using an employment agency if at all possible and send your CV directly to potential employers. An agency will charge the employer 15-25% of your first years annual salary for adding very little to the whole process.

Disagree. Many many companies go through agencies. You need to broaden your horizons and make sure you're not missing any potential jobs.

They do earn a big old wedge, but it doesn't come out of your pocket. I started my career by getting a job via an agency. I'd never have got into the field I'm in now if I hadn't.

Bottom line IMO is if you are looking for a job, you should look down all avenues. Both direct and agencies.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Disagree. Many many companies go through agencies. You need to broaden your horizons and make sure you're not missing any potential jobs.

They do earn a big old wedge, but it doesn't come out of your pocket. I started my career by getting a job via an agency. I'd never have got into the field I'm in now if I hadn't.

Bottom line IMO is if you are looking for a job, you should look down all avenues. Both direct and agencies.
Exactly. Your employer has to pay 15% of your starting salary to a worthless agent. If they have a choice of taking a candidate that's going to cost them a few grand or one that has made the effort to contact the company directly and cost nothing extra, which do you think they'll choose??

I'm an employer and I loath agents. I have yet to deal with one that has any idea about what we do and what candidates would make a good fit for us. Most just clutter up my inbox with inappropriate CVs and provide no value to the recruitment process.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Exactly. Your employer has to pay 15% of your starting salary to a worthless agent. If they have a choice of taking a candidate that's going to cost them a few grand or one that has made the effort to contact the company directly and cost nothing extra, which do you think they'll choose??

I'm an employer and I loath agents. I have yet to deal with one that has any idea about what we do and what candidates would make a good fit for us. Most just clutter up my inbox with inappropriate CVs and provide no value to the recruitment process.

Cheaper ≠ Better

Also, recruitment agencies can help people find jobs, and just because you don't like them as an employer doesn't mean you should give mark bad advice. If someone isn't confident applying directly, writing CVs and cover letters, an agency is a great place to get that help.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Cheaper ≠ Better

Also, recruitment agencies can help people find jobs, and just because you don't like them as an employer doesn't mean you should give mark bad advice. If someone isn't confident applying directly, writing CVs and cover letters, an agency is a great place to get that help.

Having the wherewithal to contact a company directly and being able to write your own CV and cover letter - come on, it's not rocket science - will make far more of an impression on an employer than any misplaced appostophes or CVs printed on fancy paper.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Having the wherewithal to contact a company directly and being able to write your own CV and cover letter - come on, it's not rocket science - will make far more of an impression on an employer than any misplaced appostophes or CVs printed on fancy paper.

Yes it's not rocket science, if you know what you're doing. Some people need more help than others.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I think likewise there are a lot of companies who can't be arsed running a recruitment process by themselves. Money isn't always the deciding factor. Convenience is. I'm not sitting here justifying the huge fees they get, but for every person who hates using agencies, there are a ton of companies who rely on them.

Jul 7, 2003
There are some good agencies out there but the business is tainted by the bad ones. A good agency will work with you to find the right opportunity and not just put you forward for anything that comes up. Likewise they will work closely with the recruiting company or manager to ensure they understand the skills and personalities that the employer is looking for.

The bad ones have similar traits. We've probably all seen adverts for generic jobs that are used to harvest CVs.

I've seen CVs butchered by incompetent agencies which take out important facts about the prospective employee.

Some of them can also be 'creative'. A few years ago I was sent the same persons CV from three different agencies, all with different current salaries. I interviewed the person and asked him to confirm his current salary. He confirmed that it was the lowest I had seen and that he had sent the same information to all of the agencies. It appeared that the agencies were bumping up the current salary in an effort to get the person a higher offer and therefore increase their commission.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here