Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The QUESTION that MUST be ASKED is it time for BARBER to go ?

Time for Barber to GO ?

• Barber IN

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Barber OUT

Votes: 41 42.3%

• Total voters

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
No one would give a shit if we were in the top 3. However, we're not and are looking for someone to blame. I can't quite see how the bloke who overseas the business and income side of the club is that man.

It's infinitely easier to call for the head of one man, than to sack an entire squad.
Saves labour, and it's easier for the dim to keep one name in their head than 20-30 of them, when it's time to shout "Fill-in-the-blank OUT!"

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Seems since Barber turned up everything on the pitch has gone pear shaped with such effect we're now looking back at League 1, may be nice winning CEO of the year but not if the result is the DROSS that is on the pitch now with the CLUELESS clowns coaching.
Burke is the main cause with the shambles on the pitch

Indeed. I don't think it's a coincidence that a matter of months after he came along, Gus turned from being one of the longest serving managers in the football league, saying "the best way to make it to the top is with one club" - to saying we have hit the ceiling and shitting in Palace's dressing room and then leaving.

Agree on some of your points,glad in a way that Poyet,who in my opinion was going to drop his knickers for someone sooner rather than later got the bullet before he left us mid season but think since then Barber has done his utmost (and I don't know why) to drag this club backwards,last season (toward the end of it) we are being told we're on target for FFP,now ,having sold our best players and bought in league one tat the old FFP drum is being banged again?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Indeed. I don't think it's a coincidence that a matter of months after he came along, Gus turned from being one of the longest serving managers in the football league, saying "the best way to make it to the top is with one club" - to saying we have hit the ceiling and shitting in Palace's dressing room and then leaving.

Exactly. Start of the problems came as a direct result of this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually have some sympathy with barber. He obviously has to keep this club inside the FFP rules, which as we are losing £1m a month, means we are going to be around £4m short of where we need to be, although of course not all those losses fall within FFP.

He has gone to burke with a budget and burke has spent on what it looks like he wants, and Sami looks like a manager who has a string of players he doesn't want, or can't mould them into a team he thinks he wants.

Where us fans are frustrated is we want the sucess we have had the last few years since GUS joined us and with the best will in the world, that was never going to be sustainable with these FFP rules and the parachute payment debacle.

Should barber go? Personally I do not see what that would help. Sami to go? again until he has a team that is " his". As OSCAR found out, then there is no point getting rid. Should burke go? Hell yes! These are his players and he should take responsibility.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seems since Barber turned up everything on the pitch has gone pear shaped...

yeah, those two play off season since he joined have been terrible. :ffsparr:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

coincidence? it was nearly a year later! the two cant seriously be linked together.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Seems since Barber turned up everything on the pitch has gone pear shaped .

Or to put it another way since he joined at end of 2011/12, Albion have had their 2 most successful seasons on the pitch in 30 years although thats down to the manager and David Burke not Barber.
Sponsorship wise we've swapped Errea for Nike, brightonandhovejobs.com for American Express, and crowd wise we've just had our 2 biggest average crowds over a season again for nearly 40 years.
He's also such a disaster that he was last year voted Football CEO of their year by the other CEO's in the English/Scottish Leagues. In the same awards this year the club is nominated for best fan engagement. All the other nominees are Premier League teams (bar Notts County !)...

Ernest... SEEMS LIKE SINCE you returned TO NSC Towers ITS all GONE pear-SHAPED...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Or to put it another way since he joined at end of 2011/12, Albion have had their 2 most successful seasons on the pitch in 30 years although thats down to the manager and David Burke not Barber.
Sponsorship wise we've swapped Errea for Nike, brightonandhovejobs.com for American Express, and crowd wise we've just had our 2 biggest average crowds over a season again for nearly 40 years.
He's also such a disaster that he was last year voted Football CEO of their year by the other CEO's in the English/Scottish Leagues. In the same awards this year the club is nominated for best fan engagement. All the other nominees are Premier League teams (bar Notts County !)...

Ernest... SEEMS LIKE SINCE you returned TO NSC Towers ITS all GONE pear-SHAPED...

Look at the League table that is the only thing that counts

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

And now have a league 1 squad and loose 1m a month. And have had three managers.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Never been a Barber fan.

I've always found his programme notes to be a bit patronizing and I don't think he can empathize with fans. He's a businessman first and the interests of the fans always seem to come second. Totally recognise his job is on the business side but he is the CEO not the CFO and I think there needs to be more balance in the way he approaches things. Like others at the club (not the least the players) he is getting extremely well paid for what can only be regarded as failure at the moment - the number of empty seats yesterday is testament to that.

No idea what brief Bloom has given him but given his constant reference to FFP would guess financial targets are a big part. Very difficult job but I don't think he is going about it the right way. Not sure this is a reason for him to go but think he would do well to take a leaf out David Gill's book - a real football man who did a great job and who remained popular with Man U fans even after the Glazer takeover.

yeah , time he went, prob would fit in well at new labour

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wasn't aware Barber picked the team, recruited the players, or sacked the managers.

Course he does. He's also the bloke that has decided that we're going to try and reduce our losses and conform to FFP; that obviously has nothing to do with his boss, Tony Bloom, the bloke who has been dipping into his own pocket to fund those losses for the past 4 years. And if anything bad happens to you in life - wife has an affair, made redundant, miss this week's episode of the apprentice - you can blame that bloody Barber for that as well.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Never been a fan of Barber and all of his spin.
Fright Nights , Spanish Days , Clackers , Premier League Ready , one club one ambition , Be Bold , leaflets thanking away supporters for traveling x amount of miles.
He is far too Corporate for me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
More chance of financial viability with Barber as CEO than there is of promotion with Hyypia as team manager :shrug:

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I think Paul Barber is a huge asset to our club.

I also like the way he always fronts up.

When Mrs Tory Boy e-mailed him late one evening a year or so ago he got back within minutes, I very much doubt many others in his position would be so responsive.

I like the fella, never met him, but I like him.

TB

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Never been a fan of Barber and all of his spin.
Fright Nights , Spanish Days , Clackers , Premier League Ready , one club one ambition , Be Bold , leaflets thanking away supporters for traveling x amount of miles.
He is far too Corporate for me.

A Spin Doctor !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here