Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite seafood?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Where do I start? This is a bit like a parent choosing their favourite child. If I had to go for one it will be scallops, I love the taste and texture. Oysters are damn fine as well.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Where do I start...
monkfish
calamari
moules mariniere
sea bass

and I love a good Bouillabaisse?

oh and scampi fries. Remember the advert ' baaaskits. Yes to serve em in."

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Fresh Bass, grilled with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, Lemon zest and herbs de Provence. Can't beat it, especially it you have caught it yourself.

I do like a nice fresh Bass but if I can't get that then a good substitute is Black Bream, Cod and Sole are high on my list of likes as well and as you say it always tastes better when you've caught it yourself. One of my favourite ways of cooking fish is also one of the simplest, A light dusting of flour and pan fried then served with a doorstep of fresh crusty bread and butter.
Where possible I try and avoid buying fish from supermarkets because of the poor quality of it but if I am forced to go down that route then more often than not I'll buy frozen fish as it tends to be the best of a bad bunch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
E
I do like a nice fresh Bass but if I can't get that then a good substitute is Black Bream, Cod and Sole are high on my list of likes as well and as you say it always tastes better when you've caught it yourself. One of my favourite ways of cooking fish is also one of the simplest, A light dusting of flour and pan fried then served with a doorstep of fresh crusty bread and butter.
Where possible I try and avoid buying fish from supermarkets because of the poor quality of it but if I am forced to go down that route then more often than not I'll buy frozen fish as it tends to be the best of a bad bunch.

You're quite right about cooking fish. The simplest is the often the best. I was once served some baked cod with an olive tapenade; nothing more nothing less. Very simple but boy was it memorable.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Marvellous Seafood Platter from La Poissonerie Shoreham Harbour :
Lobster whole
Brown crab whole
Oysters
Çrevettes
Whelks
Prawns

Served on a bed of crushed ice with seaweed in a polystyrene fishing boat...£35ish plenty for 2

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Always good to watch. It really would have been a Miracle if he had obtained some Halibut in those days.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Had a wonderful dish of octopus in Galicia recently. Sprinkled with olive oil and paprika and washed down with Albarino..hard to beat.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I just love pretty much all fish and seafood.

But scallops and lobster are just wonderful. We were in New England a few years ago and the lobster they serve in most restaurants was fantastic!

I love oysters, but unfortunately they don't like me any more (I'll not go into details).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I love all seafood so very difficult there is nothing I do not like.
But when I find a very good seafood Paella it is difficult to beat it.
I had a fabulous paella in Cabapino on the costa del sol last summer all washed down with a spanish white recommended by the waiter which was superb. Up there with one of the best meals I have ever eaten.

possibly an Albarino? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albariño

Get yourself to Galicia for the best seafood in Europe :thumbsup: You'll love it. (although don't go for the weather)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This thread is making me hungry.

It's such a shame that so many people from our fair isle (and it's a bloody island!) are such plebs when it comes to fish/seafood 'ooo what's that, eurgh, can't eat that'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here