Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty SOCKS it to Barber in the Worthing Herald

Jan 30, 2008
I'm with you on this, because for me, going to football has only EVER been about the football. They can keep all the razamajizz and pull the wool over the eyes of those foolish enough to wear it :thumbsup:
yeah, it's moved into fantasy land and reached comical proportions mainly on the pitch, shame because as you rightly say it's all about the football
regards
DR

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Will you be challenging Ian on his belief that we need an "English" manager (see my post above), despite "English" managers being outperformed in the club's recent history? While you're in his box on a comp :lol:

Or is it different when not posting in a UKIP thread?

Surely the best man should get the job, regardless of their race. I didn't think you'd jump at the chance to share a box with someone so far removed from your own beliefs.

Non-English managers also outperform English managers at other clubs too......including England!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All true but I think long term fans thought that with the return of a proper ground and the Albion being on its feet that we might start for once to achieve our potential (never mind exceed it). People look to clubs with a championship sized support of 14000/15000 like palace and burnley and think, flipping heck, how come small clubs like that can do it but again the Albion with 26000 paying every week , are served up with this load of of tripe. And they have every right to think like that, but see my previous post, as we are not far apart in our views.

You are far apart in your statistical analysis of our support.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Harty. Spot on. There is a whole stadium full of knobhead traders from Hassocks and Cuckfield who only bought STs because they thought Brighton would go up to the PL tout suite. They now just don't bother going because its no fun watching us lose every other week. I know. I borrow one from one of these characters every so often. He has 4 STs. Him, his missus and his two sons. They probably bother going to about 6 games re season. They couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the St. Patrick day massacre.

Te proper support level for us is around 10k.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Harty has kindly asked me to be his guest at his corporate box at the Amex tomorrow. If I see a small laser sight trained on his body, coming from the directors box, I will LEAP in front of him and take the bullet.

Save the Worthing One.

I'm sure that Mr Hart can do you a very good deal on a pre paid funeral plan if you have not signed up already.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure that Mr Hart can do you a very good deal on a pre paid funeral plan if you have not signed up already.

Funnily enough he did send me some paperwork earlier today that I signed, but didn't check the details, you've got me worried now.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah. I'm sure Garcia or Poyet would have TRANSFORMED Coventry, Pompey and Wolves.

He did transform struggling Brighton and Hove Albion, then 19th in League One under Russell Slade (of being English fame), and within a season and a half lead us to win the League One championship. I guess we'll never know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Harty focuses on Barber, the easy target and he gets paid well for taking the flak, but the person ultimately choosing key senior personnel such as the football manager and the amount of the player transfer/wages budget is TB. With FFP and an understandable desire to reduce the amount he is personally having to subsidise the club each year, TB has made a strategic about-turn to lower player wage costs and on NOT re-spending all player sale monies. In other words using much of the one-off gains on the sale of assets to reduce operating losses, a false one-off position, as without the conveyor belt of quality players being produced/improved like Southampton, it cannot be repeated each season. Dunk is the sole remaining player who might be sought by PL clubs.

With a squad rapidly reducing in quality over each of the last few transfer windows, stemming from TB's strategy, results and goals have dried up. Opponents have no fear of the Albion's weak attack. The lack of goals and wins, especially at home, are the cause of fan disgruntlement and increasingly empty seats. All stemming from the route TB has chosen, of a drastic reining in of spending.

Barber's domains of marketing and income including squeezing more spending out of fans, make him unpopular, when the squad and their results are both dire. A few fans would be less unhappy if the price of beer, teas, pies and programmes were 20% cheaper, but results on the pitch are far greater driver of fan contentment. So, it will be interesting to see what TB does about squad quality over the next few months.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Harty has kindly asked me to be his guest at his corporate box at the Amex tomorrow. If I see a small laser sight trained on his body, coming from the directors box, I will LEAP in front of him and take the bullet.

Save the Worthing One.
Does he still lick windows?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Harty has been behind BHAFC for years. Gulls eye, the Withdean years, the phone in. Legend.

He's never been afraid of calling it the way it is. He was one of the (very few) folk to realise that Adams had lost it during the second coming VERY early as I recall.He talks to EVERYONE at the club and knows the underswell of opinion very well and he's right to suspect we have a very large contingent of glory hunters in our support who will drift away very easily if this current dross continues. Well said Ian.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He did transform struggling Brighton and Hove Albion, then 19th in League One under Russell Slade (of being English fame), and within a season and a half lead us to win the League One championship. I guess we'll never know.

Well while that is the period that the clubs playing stats picked up, agreed. It does bother me that whilst a number of Gus fans are keen to heap praise on him solely, is it purely by coincidence that upturn in playing performances coincided with Tony Bloom putting his hand so deeply into his pocket ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here