Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty SOCKS it to Barber in the Worthing Herald

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stick to clients that cannot answer back.

Spoils it by calling for a change of Manager. Stick to clients that cannot answer back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't the thread title need 'AGAIN' at the end of it?

Feb 14, 2010
Clubs like Palace do it by going into administration again and again and again. That's not the way to run ANY Ltd Company, football club or not.

Burnley and since 1984 we have seen Wimbledon, Wigan, Charlton, all sorts of clubs. But never the Albion. The desire for a side to match the support is a natural one. But it just never happens at Brighton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree with EVERY word.

Stadium, facilities blah blah blah. Best in League one soon. Do what Palace dis invest on what runs around on the ****ing grass and gets results. Selhurst is hardly saubrious but **** me I would swap positions in a hearbeat.

Feb 14, 2010
Agree with EVERY word.

Stadium, facilities blah blah blah. Best in League one soon. Do what Palace dis invest on what runs around on the ****ing grass and gets results. Selhurst is hardly saubrious but **** me I would swap positions in a hearbeat.

The Albion needed a ground after Archer. The Albion needed a training ground after Archer. Then its not up to anyone else to spend Bloom's money for him. I see the desire for the team to match the support and =yes its galling that we have witnessed Wigan, palace,, Burnley and clubs of their sized support pay for better sides than us. But you cant blame Bloom. Mu view is that Poyet got it 90% right but messed it up as he couldnt get his forwards right. Letting Murray go and buying CMS was dreadful business, and cost us top flight football.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Totally understand why people are cautious about the 'British manager please comment' - but the evidence shows that British managers are better at being promoted than 'Foreign' managers from this division.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
It surprises me that there are long term supporters like Ian and Paul Samrah that are coming out with complaints which if you boil them down to their essence are summed up as 'We are not winning. We should be winning.'

My first game was in 1979. It was 15 years since we had won anything and 22 years before we would next win anything.
We have been promoted to the top division once in 113 years.
Having a new stadium doesn't change the fact that we are always up against very stiff competition.
Sometimes you eat the bear sometimes the bear eats you.

Agree with most of this but don't forget that you saw us playing in the top flight and get to a Cup Final. No, we didn't win anything but there's a lot of fans who have never got to wallow in the heady heights of the top league. They may not hang about forever whilst we work out how to do it again.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW

There are so many issues with Harty’s article – and I firmly believe it’s worth highlighting these before they become entrenched in the minds of those who, in fits of the ‘9 game win-drought grumps’ might unquestioningly adopt them. The article jumps around so many perceived Barber wrongs and manages to be absolutely wrong in most cases, and inaccurate on others.

His dismissal of Barber’s listing of some of the features of the match-day experience which might mitigate against the BBC Survey results is illuminating. Firstly it implies that all fans have exactly the same standard of ‘value’ as himself. It also hints at a masochistic desire to not have comfy seats or unimpeded views of the pitch; to return to the days (and places) where he was more important to the club.

More obviously he has omitted entirely the most significant mitigation; that of the travel subsidy.

He then strays into presentation-of-speculation-as-fact territory regarding the impact of results on the attending fanbase. There was an excellent thread on here a while back with some nifty little charts showing attendances since 2011. None of these in any way indicate the level of apathy he describes. Again however, there is a nagging sense that he somehow wants this to happen.

Having repeated and extrapolated upon this guesswork he then turns his ire to the well trod ground of FFP. He asks “Is it in danger of becoming an excuse?” I’d suggest that Betteridge’s law of headlines applies here (if it ends in a question mark it can be answered “no”).

Of course his final throw of the dice is guff about a British manager; again there have been multiple threads on here showing the statistical insignificance of British vs Foreigh managers promoted from the Champo. You get the feeling that the entire piece was building up to this.

To invoke Churchill (and I hope with enough brevity for Harty); “This is the sort of nonsense up with which we shall not put.”

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with EVERY word.

Except that Selhurst can notionally hold more than a WI meeting which Withdean could not. They could get away with still wallowing around in that sh*thole we HAD to move. That is the difference between the two situations. if you think we could have done better in a stadium that held 8,000 at best then you are a more optimistic man than I. We did not have the option of staying put and pouring all the money and more on the pitch. We needed the new stadium to be able to go forward.

el punal

He's spot on. He's old school like lot of us unlike most of these sad acts on here.
Please define old school. I've been supporting the Albion for nearly 50 years and believe it or not I appreciate what the club has done and is doing. Things may not be right on the pitch at the moment but hey all clubs suffer that. As it happens I enjoy the whole match day experience, please excuse the marketing parlance, and I'm not a sad act I'm just happy and gay. :D

SAC

May 21, 2014
To be fair to PB, his remit is the finance, which he seems to be doing OK - but he is the CEO, so ultimately, the buck stops there. Perhaps he needs to refresh the football matters team which is ultimately answerable to him - though whether that means Hyypia, Burke or Jones - or even the players, I don't know. No, I know we don't have an automatic right to be top of this division, or in the PL, but it's not going well at the moment, as anyone can see.

An almost £1 million a month loss is doing ok?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Agree with most of this but don't forget that you saw us playing in the top flight and get to a Cup Final. No, we didn't win anything but there's a lot of fans who have never got to wallow in the heady heights of the top league. They may not hang about forever whilst we work out how to do it again.

an watched a huge amount of **** on the way............it will happen again someday just hope I am around when it happens and at this rate I'm not betting on that.
all promises and as I said before smoke and mirrors

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not less valuable, but less likely to understand how fans have been taken for a ride in the past.

I understand that. Just that [MENTION=29828]Skylar[/MENTION] seems to consider anyone not 'old school' to be inferior. Just makes him look like a massive tool.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Burnley and since 1984 we have seen Wimbledon, Wigan, Charlton, all sorts of clubs. But never the Albion. The desire for a side to match the support is a natural one. But it just never happens at Brighton.

Wimbledon - financial meltdown leading to Groundsharing and ADMINISTRATION in June 2003. That's why AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons exist - are you trying to forget historical facts or re-write history.

Charlton - see Wimbledon. Administration in 1984. A far bigger club than BHAFC.

Wigan - bankrolled by Dave Whelan. The only reason they've never needed administration. Would be completely screwed without him.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Agree with EVERY word.

What's stopping you watching Palace then if that's what you want? Or maybe you think we should vacate the Amex and groundshare at Selhurst!!!!

Feb 14, 2010
Wimbledon - financial meltdown leading to Groundsharing and ADMINISTRATION in June 2003. That's why AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons exist - are you trying to forget historical facts or re-write history.

Charlton - see Wimbledon. Administration in 1984. A far bigger club than BHAFC.

Wigan - bankrolled by Dave Whelan. The only reason they've never needed administration. Would be completely screwed without him.

Wimbledon got relegated and went down to leagues their support was correct for and then MK stole their club.
Charlton - a far bigger club who get 10,000 less paying punters than us when higher in the same division. More successful, but not bigger.
Wigan - Agreed

None of what you post alters the simple fact that fans look around at clubs with smaller supports than Brighton and think, why, oh why did Brighton have to go into serial decline since 1984, have to have Archer, Gillingham, Withdean and then after all that, the club gets back on its feet, have 26000 paying every week but still a club like Burnley and Palace can reach the top flight but the Albion are in the lower leagues. I understand, parachute payments and the like but really, it is galling and natural for people to just shake their head and think "same old Brighton, never have had and never will have any desire for a bloody good team".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW
More obviously he has omitted entirely the most significant mitigation; that of the travel subsidy.

Good GRIEF! Do you actually believe the thrupence-ha'penny travel sub has anything much to do with anything?

AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW

To invoke Churchill (and I hope with enough brevity for Harty); “This is the sort of nonsense up with which we shall not put.”

Not sure you know the meaning of the word 'brevity' mate. Tho you certainly know the meaning of the word 'nonsense'. IMHO, like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here