Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU to charge Britain more money due to success of economy....

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Maybe it's time for a poll. If there was a referendum on leaving Europe today, which way would you vote?

For me, I'd vote to leave Europe as long as it meant we wouldn't have to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe it's time for a poll. If there was a referendum on leaving Europe today, which way would you vote?

For me, I'd vote to leave Europe as long as it meant we wouldn't have to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest :)
TBH that's why I'm not really in favour of referenda as a way of deciding political issues. Far too many people can be swayed by one event in the immediate lead-up and vote on that as opposed to weighing up the issue in its entirety.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
At least the EU managed to agree that 40% cap on emissions yesterday - they do do some good work. This negative publicity is almost all the work of Rupert Murdoch and the right wing press.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
TBH that's why I'm not really in favour of referenda as a way of deciding political issues. Far too many people can be swayed by one event in the immediate lead-up and vote on that as opposed to weighing up the issue in its entirety.

I would agree but I guess if the voting in the referendum was high, like in the Scottish referendum, it should even itself out with those being flippant in their voting being swamped with those who take their time and properly consider the relative merits

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
At least the EU managed to agree that 40% cap on emissions yesterday - they do do some good work. This negative publicity is almost all the work of Rupert Murdoch and the right wing press.

There is absolutely no reason why the UK, or any other state, cannot reach 40% cap on emissions on their own. Why do they have to pay billions for the privilege of unilateral agreements. The EU system is flawed, and everyone knows it.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
It does seem as if the EU wants the UK to leave. They don't seem to be giving any convincing reason for us to stay.

Oh, that's because they are not accountable to us!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think it's a disgrace. If I earned more money under this government I would expect to pay less tax, as Gideon rewards the rich and demonises the poor, so why should it be different in the EU?

Because you can vote out a UK Government whose tax regime you disagree with, at what point can you vote out Herr Juncker and his cronies?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
the EU will not back down over this, if Cameron believes he's in with a chance of negotiating a deal he's a bigger fool than I first anticipated. no f*cking chance:rolleyes:

You may, or may not, be correct. But do you think it is OK for us to pay more now, just because we dis better back then?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We're building our own utopia thanks. Have been doing it for over 1000 years.

If you can't pay for you own, well, that's your fault.

The problem is only those outside the UK can see the wood from the trees, our press is increasingly dominated by right wing anti-EU propaganda.

Cameron wants to make up the rules as he goes along. Special rules from immigration, human rights, special financial concessions

We probably do need a vote on Europe, then we can decide whether we want to be a bunch little Englanders isolated from the rest or not.

On the subject of the 1.7 billion to the EU. To put it in perspective that 5 days of UK deficit, we've got far bigger issues to worry about than Europe!!!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Would be happy to stay in Eurovision but would like to leave the EU

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem is only those outside the UK can see the wood from the trees, our press is increasingly dominated by right wing anti-EU propaganda.

Cameron wants to make up the rules as he goes along. Special rules from immigration, human rights, special financial concessions

We probably do need a vote on Europe, then we can decide whether we want to be a bunch little Englanders isolated from the rest or not.

On the subject of the 1.7 billion to the EU. To put it in perspective that 5 days of UK deficit, we've got far bigger issues to worry about than Europe!!!

And as usual when the pro-EU'ers start to get backed into a corner, the insults start.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this IS where we find out if Dave has got a backbone, and tells them to go away in short sharp jumps, this really has come at a bad time for him and everyone who is British.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I think it's a disgrace. If I earned more money under this government I would expect to pay less tax, as Gideon rewards the rich and demonises the poor, so why should it be different in the EU?

Ignoring the back dating to 1995 and estimation of growth on the back of the black economy (like drug dealing and prostitution), this analogy doesn't work does it?

The EU funding budget is effectively fixed in advance, and all the member states have to generate the funding to meet the budget.

Accordingly, if all the states economies were performing poorly it would be those economies that were not peforming as badly as others that would still pick up the greater share. So in the EU world even if you earn't less money you still would pay more tax.

I may be wrong of course?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So we're being fined £1.7billion because we outperformed other European economies over past decade. ****ing joke.

The way its being portrayed in the UK is we are being fined for rebelling, amazing how certain parts of the media put their own spin on things.

A decade ago anti-Americanism was the in thing, now the knives are turned on Europe

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The way its being portrayed in the UK is we are being fined for rebelling, amazing how certain parts of the media put their own spin on things.

A decade ago anti-Americanism was the in thing, now the knives are turned on Europe

really? which media outlets are saying this?

links please.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why doesn't the government simply do some research about whether or not we are financially better off in Europe? I suspect that the free movement of labour and capital both ways has put this country in a far better economic position than if we had never joined the EEC back in 1973.

The growth of support for UKIP is based purely on a hunch that the EU isn't working out. Most voters have no idea on any of the numbers, they just suspect it's a sh1t deal. No facts about the big picture.

Ironic that Cameron's government has been derided as being an Oxbridge toff's club but UKIP have got plenty of those in their ranks and are led by an ex-banker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here