Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colonge

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I was there a week or so ago. Clearly the Allies used precision bombing in 44/45 as the cathedral is intact but everything around it is Churchill Square circa 1988. Seems like a nice town (but not remarkable), all the Germans I know say that Cologneites (sp?) are the friendliest in the country but could be like comparing starchy, humorless robots to slightly less starchy, humorless robots? I don't know. The few chaps I know from Cologne like drinking, hard metal music and Kolsch.

On the river there are these massive blocks of flats that are anchored on the bank with nothing below them other than muddy H2O. I was quite taken by the thought of not being able to sleep at night with nothing below me other than 200 ft of German air if I lived there.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
One of my favourite german cities - but I do love a kolsch and a haxe so no surprise. Also worth getting to see cologne play especially as they're back in the bundesliga. They bring beer to your seat. Xmas markets are superb. If you go in summer there's a beach bar my koelnmesse on the river. Shopping is great too.

What's not to like?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my favourite cities. And go and see the Gerhard Richter stained glass window in the cathedral. And read the leaflet about how it was inspired and what it stands for. It's my favourite piece of art and I love it aesthetically and I can relate to it on numerous different levels.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Went a couple of years ago to see Radiohead play there.

Had an excellent couple of days. There are some lovely beer halls to try the Kolsch beer, and lovely German food.

If you see the photos of how the city looked in 1945, its amazing how it has been restored. I think there are some ruins left as a memorial.

Go for a boat trip on the Rhine too.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Had my stag do there a few years back now. Great place, and as others have said the people are friendly and the Kolsch is delicious. Also quite an interesting gentleman's establishment, split over seven floors I seem to recall, just a short taxi ride from the centre.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nice enough place. Prefer the Altstat, up the road, in Dusseldorf for a night out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here