Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be in favour of a national DNA database ?

Are you in favour of a national DNA database?

• Yes

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 45.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm for it, if you've got nothing to hide, why not. It would make the police's workload so much easier, would be also able, presumably to use it for cross screening for liver/bone marrow donations.

The argument for "circumstantial DNA" at crime seems is irrelevant- by having this database it means that investigating crimes will be quicker, and through good police work they would (in most cases) be able to get to the bottom of any issue with that.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Incredible, but scary, how you have so much faith in the state that you are willing to allow them such control over you and your families freedoms.

Not a student of history i'm guessing, possibly thinks that humans have suddenly evolved a code of ethics because we've had a period of stability in this country for the last 100 years. Imagine what a DNA database would be used for in say syria right now?
Possibly a massive optimist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The argument for "circumstantial DNA" at crime seems is irrelevant- by having this database it means that investigating crimes will be quicker, and through good police work they would (in most cases) be able to get to the bottom of any issue with that.

yes, of course its quicker. the police can haul in a dozen people knowing they where at a scene go through their alibis and pick the one without one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A number of years ago I had my car stolen. The Police told me they had arrested someone, who turned out to be a known car thief, on the basis of DNA taken from a cigarette butt found in the car. (Stupid thief).

I initially feared that they may have the wrong person though. A friend of mine had been in the car a few days previously. He has a criminal record from when he was younger, and his DNA was taken at the time. As it happens all was well.

Part of me believes this is a good idea, but another part of me, the one that has a deep distrust of some of those in the Police, worries that some people could be implicated and wrongly prosecuted for crimes they didn't commit.

A lot of innocent people will have much trauma before being cleared of wrongdoing.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes

We need to plan ahead.

It would bring ethnic cleansing into the 21st century and make it a much more hassle free experience.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would try and cut a deal. Swop a few other rights for it.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Incredible, but scary, how you have so much faith in the state that you are willing to allow them such control over you and your families freedoms.

Mustafa
I disagree with you on almost everything else you have ever posted. But on this one, you are absolutely right.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Considering you are always banging on that ordinary people need to be re-educated by an utopian state to fit your personal social programme view and thinking ,i would have thought state control over personal freedoms was right up your ally.

DNA control for your type is just a natural progression,with further exploration of genetics you will be able to highlight pesky individuals who dont think like you and have them erased before re-education or training becomes necessary

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm for it, if you've got nothing to hide, why not. It would make the police's workload so much easier, would be also able, presumably to use it for cross screening for liver/bone marrow donations.

Well at least this time it took a few posts before this utter drivel was added. So taking your statement about 'if you have nothing to hide' would you support the following :

> Everyone has an RFID chip implanted at birth so they can be tracked 24 hours a day
> Everyone has to supply an itinerary of where they will be each day
> Police can search your home without a warrant whenever they like

What about police corruption ? There isn't any I hear you cry ? Hmmm ...... 96 Liverpool supporters STILL don't have justice and the police are using very high powered barristers to intimidate witnesses at the inquiry - still happy that the police should have access to your DNA ?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
As DNA can determine genetic pre-disposition to certain medical conditions we can ensure that certain people pay significantly more for any kind of medical insurance from birth. Much fairer obviously. I personally totally trust the state and corporations with this information.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
"Hey, Sarge, we have got this wonderful new technology called printing/photography/fingerprinting* which will help us nail every villain known to man."

Technology is only as good (or accurate or whatever) as the people who use it. It escapes me why people still believe that one thing will provide a solution to a particular ill or problem. I guess they must be the same people who reckon that if only CMS was fit or Paddy started all our problems would be solved. Life just ain't like that.

*delete as appropriate

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A little concerned by how many are in favour of this. Big brother will be delighted.
Jooooin us! [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382] [emoji382]

[emoji468] [emoji594]

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Well at least this time it took a few posts before this utter drivel was added. So taking your statement about 'if you have nothing to hide' would you support the following :

> Everyone has an RFID chip implanted at birth so they can be tracked 24 hours a day
> Everyone has to supply an itinerary of where they will be each day
> Police can search your home without a warrant whenever they like

What about police corruption ? There isn't any I hear you cry ? Hmmm ...... 96 Liverpool supporters STILL don't have justice and the police are using very high powered barristers to intimidate witnesses at the inquiry - still happy that the police should have access to your DNA ?

Good grief, talk about hyperbole!

You've let your obviously fervent imagination run riot. There is no logical connection whatsover between "if you have nothing to hide" and accepting the 3 draconian scenarios you postulated. Where has [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] suggested that he would want DNA to be recorded without any safeguards; he's referring to the principle not it's implementation.

And then your last paragraph. Words fail me. You've asked the question and answered it yourself and then flown off on some fanciful tangent all of your own.

Reconnect with the logical side of your brain, block out the emotive, analyse your post and see what hysterical drivel you've posted.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its quite simple really, once you commit a medium to high level crime you have your DNA taken, that way the rest of us law abiding folk won't have anything to worry about, unless of course you are a victim of crime..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here