Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh dear me, it seems you're right. DC.png

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
With the election looming he is saying anything that the public want to hear but he knows and so do most people that he can't or wont deliver.Its beyond a joke he is an idiot and the latest figures coming out regarding the deficit are further proof that he has either failed or totally lied in the lead up to the last election and yet he has the temerity to do it again in the hope that we will fall for it.
I am not a massive fan of Europe but if the British think that we will be better off out of it then they deserve everything they are going to get for another 5 years of cruel cuts to the most needy.

Or if they need NHS treatment

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I'll take back my comment that it is NOT a major issue. Those who have said otherwise, you are clearly correct. To be fair, I hurried my post because my wife was nagging me to get off the computer! What I meant to say was there is no evidence to suggest it is THE most pressing issue, and I'd certainly suggest that the media coverage it gets is way out of proportion to the level of priority.

I'd say that is EXACTLY what he is? This is the man who somehow avoided obtaining an outright majority by promoting his shithouse "big society" nonsense instead of delivering the clear and simple classic Tory message of small government, low taxes and good housekeeping. It still beggars belief that he couldn't win a majority when faced with someone as hopeless and disliked as Gordon Brown.

And you think this grandstanding in Europe is part of a plan? Really? Was losing a vote 26-2 also part of this master plan? I think that says all we need to know about his level of influence in Europe. He is utterly embarrassing. And what he is bleating on about is completely and utterly undeliverable.

Let's have a referendum and decide this properly rather than having the prime minister of the country embarrassing himself. I'm utterly f*cked off with the pandering to these UKIP shouty types. Let's have a proper debate, a one year lead up period to campaign in a simple in/out referendum, and when the decision has been made, perhaps Farage can fck off back to his pub to piss all his city-made money up the wall. In the mean time, perhaps the Tories can replace Cameron with someone who doesn't come across like the sort of uppity teenager who thinks he knows it all but can't help getting ink all over his fingers when you leave him alone for half an hour with a biro.

Fair point. Nick Clegg, David Cameron, Ed Milliband - I can honestly say it is a truly depressing choice. For this reason alone, and for the first time, I'm going to vote for the candidate rather than the party come general election time. It's the only way I can justify trotting off to the polling booth.

I think it is always a mistake to think your opponent is stupid. Cameron's strategy may not work but you can bet it has been thought through. Lynton Crosby has the reputation of being a brilliant (and nasty) electoral strategist. They believe that Cameron's strategy on the EU and immigration will bring victory in 2015. Beyond that they will deal with as it comes. If they lose votes in the EU so what. For their voters and potential voters this will be hailed as "strong" leadership putting the UK's "interests" first against the "federalist" europeans

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was in the local (gastro)pub last night, and on the table next to us, where a big extended family, of Winchester types. (young women wearing barbour coats and pearls before their time, chaps in red trousers). I overheard one of the braying simpletons recounting to another how she'd 'got a selfie' with Cameron earlier in the day, and having 'just returned from Sierra Leone' they'd know who to blame if he comes down with ebola.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
His position within Europe is laughable. By which I mean, he is a laughing stock.

Firstly, a few months ago there was that EU commission president he didn't want elected, so he campaigned against him. And lost 26 votes to 2.

Now he's banging on about renegotiating the terms surrounding the free movement of people, something he is quite clearly not in a position to deliver. All this nonsense about the British public being his boss? Really? Where's the referendum then? Did we really have to wait until 2017?

Well I'm a British voter and I'm getting a bit pissed off that our PM is embarrassing the nation in front of our European partners with this drivel rather than following due process. There is still NOTHING to suggest the British public consider this a major issue. UKIP have ONE seat FFS, won in a by election.

Just shut up you stupid piggy eyed twa4t,

Utterly agree with you on CMD making promises he can't possibly keep - hence why my vote is currently flying in UKIPs direction.

Have to disagree that the EU isn't considered a major issue. If it wasn't why are 3 of the main 5 parties offering a referendum on in/out ( or a close flavour ) ?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I think you'll find that the original driving force was to create allegiance and a common bond between the major European nations so that another World war claiming the lives of 60 miilion people could be avoided. The principle of free movement of citizens around the EU that has developed from that initial aspiration may throw some people into apoplectic rage but really, it is pretty small beer given that the peace divided has now existed for 67 years (the longest period of time since the Roman Empire).

I think others might also disagree with your musing on Cameron's astuteness and believe that he is indeed driven into a corner. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29708604

I think you'll find that it was originally intended to stop GERMANY wanting to steal everyone else's countries and to stop FRANCE having to try and stop them.

The original premise was to share natural resources, coal, steel etc, between these two nations to stop them throttling each other every few years and dragging everyone else in (us) to sort them out.

It was never intended to be a big federalist club with free movement of every bugger. It became that but hey...just for clarity.

Now we have Germany fiscally in control of the union and France voting in droves for the National Front to preserve their national identity and a whole swathe of desperately poor countries with mobile workforces supplying everyone else with builders, nurses and waitresses but requiring housing, healthcare and access to education for their kids and welfare between their, often temporary, jobs.

It's an utter mess on one end of the scale and the best thing ever at the other. Totally unsolvable by any one member state. But I can understand why Britons don't want it more than the others...we're the only ones never to have been invaded and ripped apart by Germany.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think you'll find that it was originally intended to stop GERMANY wanting to steal everyone else's countries and to stop FRANCE having to try and stop them.

The original premise was to share natural resources, coal, steel etc, between these two nations to stop them throttling each other every few years and dragging everyone else in (us) to sort them out.

It was never intended to be a big federalist club with free movement of every bugger. It became that but hey...just for clarity.

Now we have Germany fiscally in control of the union and France voting in droves for the National Front to preserve their national identity and a whole swathe of desperately poor countries with mobile workforces supplying everyone else with builders, nurses and waitresses but requiring housing, healthcare and access to education for their kids and welfare between their, often temporary, jobs.

It's an utter mess on one end of the scale and the best thing ever at the other. Totally unsolvable by any one member state. But I can understand why Britons don't want it more than the others...we're the only ones never to have been invaded and ripped apart by Germany.

That's about the top and bottom of it. Great post.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
... and the latest figures coming out regarding the deficit........

......do you mean the figures that clearly show that the deficit has reduced by a third over the last 5 years?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think you'll find that the original driving force was to create allegiance and a common bond between the major European nations so that another World war claiming the lives of 60 miilion people could be avoided. The principle of free movement of citizens around the EU that has developed from that initial aspiration may throw some people into apoplectic rage but really, it is pretty small beer given that the peace divided has now existed for 67 years (the longest period of time since the Roman Empire).

I think others might also disagree with your musing on Cameron's astuteness and believe that he is indeed driven into a corner. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29708604

Thanks for this. You are quite right, of course, in that the aim was to avoid another war. When I wrote that the aim was to facilitate travel and trade -this would be the way to do it. Cameron clearly knew that on the surface he could not deliver, and you have to wonder why he went about it, knowing that to restrict free movement under present EU rules is illegal. WE obviously don't know for sure but I just wonder whether he is indirectly appealing to your average punter in many countries ( I can assure you that, having lived there for 25 years many Germans feel that they are being taken for a ride) because change may come from the bottom up. The recent election results in several EU countries would seem to bear this out. Lets face it -change will certainly not come from within, when you are on a huge salary with all sorts of expenses and perks. That is why I wonder whether he is being astute -on the face of it, it certainly doesn't seem so, agreed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I like Cameron he does not offend me, he is what he is and does what it says on the tin. unlike Ed Miliband who with his private education is the leader of the Labour Party a party that has nothing to do with the working class anymore.

Feck Politics, Religion only the Meteors are pure Psychobilly..........

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I like Cameron he does not offend me, he is what he is and does what it says on the tin. unlike Ed Miliband who with his private education is the leader of the Labour Party a party that has nothing to do with the working class anymore.

Ed Miliband did not go to private school.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Ed Miiliband was educated at Primrose Hill primary school, and Haverstock comprehensive school, Chalk Farm both state sschools

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have to disagree that the EU isn't considered a major issue. If it wasn't why are 3 of the main 5 parties offering a referendum on in/out ( or a close flavour ) ?

There was a survey just last week, Europe wasn't in the top five major issues that concerned voters - I think just five percent considered it a major issue. It's never been a major concern. You can see that from general election votes - about a third of the population voted against membership in 1975 (and that's a figure that's stayed consistent through various polls) and yet, anti-EU parties have historically garnered just a few percent of the votes. And when Labour made withdrawing from the EU part of its manifesto, it got its lowest vote for decades.

It was never intended to be a big federalist club with free movement of every bugger. It became that but hey...

That's just not true. Free movement of labour was one of the articles in the Treaty of Rome in 1957, the treaty that set up the European Economic Community (as it was called then)

Someone must have missed this bit then in the 1957 Treaty of Rome?

"1. The free movement of workers shall be ensured within the Community not later than at the date of the expiry of the transitional period.

2. This shall involve the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States, as regards employment, remuneration and other working conditions."

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There was a survey just last week, Europe wasn't in the top five major issues that concerned voters - I think just five percent considered it a major issue. It's never been a major concern. You can see that from general election votes - about a third of the population voted against membership in 1975 (and that's a figure that's stayed consistent through various polls) and yet, anti-EU parties have historically garnered just a few percent of the votes. And when Labour made withdrawing from the EU part of its manifesto, it got its lowest vote for decades.

That's just not true. Free movement of labour was one of the articles in the Treaty of Rome in 1957, the treaty that set up the European Economic Community (as it was called then)
That had more to do with Michael foot being party leader, longest suicide note in history and all that.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Someone must have missed this bit then in the 1957 Treaty of Rome?

"1. The free movement of workers shall be ensured within the Community not later than at the date of the expiry of the transitional period.

2. This shall involve the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States, as regards employment, remuneration and other working conditions."

Also the Treaty of Rome promised 'ever closer union'. So anybody who says "This isn't the 'Europe' we signed up to" is wrong. (Although I concede this fact was largely in the background during the referendum campaigns of 1975).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That had more to do with Michael foot being party leader, longest suicide note in history and all that.

But that's precisely what I mean: withdrawal from the EU was not seen as a priority because there were other factors involved. If withdrawal from the EU had been seen as a major issue, Footy's suitability as a leader wouldn't have mattered

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Also the Treaty of Rome promised 'ever closer union'. So anybody who says "This isn't the 'Europe' we signed up to" is wrong. (Although I concede this fact was largely in the background during the referendum campaigns of 1975).

And of course the interview in which Ted Heath admitted that the aim of political and fiscal union was always the plan but in order to persuade the British public to join the Common Market it was necessary to hide it as much as possible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here