Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Bloom escape criticism on here?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Other than spending a lot on the club, what else has he achieved? 4 trophies in 12 years - that's an achievement. Bringing us home and then winning, against all odds, a campaign to build a stadium in the city - now THAT's an achievement.

If in 10 years time, we are still where we are, or lower- considering the momentum we've had, the attendances, the potential - then it is clear that TB is not doing a great job as chairman.

I know this is uncomfortable to hear, because he is the messiah afterall, but it's important that we try to be objective as fans.

Would you have said this at the end of last season after we had reached the playoffs 2 years in a row?

I'd get back to your fag smoking fitness regime if I were you....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
For those of you doubting Tony Bloom's personal wealth, you really need to read the following report by an extremely well-respected, award-winning journalist.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...murky-world-of-professional-football-gambling

In particular, this paragraph:

..Tony Bloom, a legendary gambler known as "The Lizard," is one such operator. So revered, Bloom runs Star Lizard, a company that employs a raft of people to analyse football matches for his millionaire-only investors. Bloom is rumoured to be worth more than £1 billion and owns Brighton, the Premier League wannabes...

I've heard similar from friends in the City who also say that Bloom is worth in excess of a billion. If you can't afford it, you don't loan £200M in cash to anyone and especially not with zero-interest bonds as Bloom has with the Albion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Other than spending a lot on the club, what else has he achieved? 4 trophies in 12 years - that's an achievement. Bringing us home and then winning, against all odds, a campaign to build a stadium in the city - now THAT's an achievement.

If in 10 years time, we are still where we are, or lower- considering the momentum we've had, the attendances, the potential - then it is clear that TB is not doing a great job as chairman.

I know this is uncomfortable to hear, because he is the messiah afterall, but it's important that we try to be objective as fans.

I can only echo what others have written. You don't have post some rubbish but this thread sees you raising the bar to stratospheric levels. Well done!

Jan 30, 2008
For those of you doubting Tony Bloom's personal wealth, you really need to read the following report by an extremely well-respected, award-winning journalist.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...murky-world-of-professional-football-gambling

..Tony Bloom, a legendary gambler known as "The Lizard," is one such operator. So revered, Bloom runs Star Lizard, a company that employs a raft of people to analyse football matches for his millionaire-only investors. Bloom is rumoured to be worth more than £1 billion and owns Brighton, the Premier League wannabes...

I've heard similar from friends in the City who also say that Bloom is worth in excess of a billion. If you can't afford it, you don't loan £200M in cash to anyone and especially not with zero-interest bonds as Bloom has with the Albion.
I find speculating someones wealth a bit perverse in the context of what he has put into this club, still think he's on an earner from it though
regards
DR

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I heard from a very reputable person who was more than confident that Bloom was worth more than a billion, and that was 5 years ago.

I appreciate that could like a friend of a friend told me, but it was enough for me to be confident Bloom is a seriously wealthy chap, and we are very fortunate to have him step in when he was needed.

Is he above criticism? No. But there is a substantial goodwill in the scales.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I find speculating someones wealth a bit perverse in the context of what he has put into this club, still think he's on an earner from it though
regards
DR

Ah, but what he's done and what he intends to do are two different things though, Das. I don't doubt he's a very rich man and that he's poured his own money into the club but as for his intentions I'm as much in the dark about this as you are.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Perhaps those critizing TB should have a dose of the guy in charge at Leeds or Hull...or Vincent Tan...foreign owners who want to come in and change names and colours to suit their whims...How about...Valley Grasshoppers...playing in Jungle Green with splashes of Monsoon Mud...Never look a gift horse in the mouth and count your blessings,we are very lucky to have TB,a lot of clubs would love to have a local FAN put in £200 million into their passion.

Jan 30, 2008
Ah, but what he's done and what he intends to do are two different things though, Das. I don't doubt he's a very rich man and that he's poured his own money into the club but as for his intentions I'm as much in the dark about this as you are.
everyone is , I don't get sucked into the pamper bloom gang ,after all he doesn't pay my wages and as we are all customers now we can have say in what we purchase???
regards
DR

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I would really appreciate if at least one of you explained what you disagree with and why. I feel as if I am having a discussion with sheep. Have I not been objective with my analysis and comparisons? If you don't think so , please explain why. I find this perpetual mindlessness of people quite frustrating.

If you are not capable of understanding the points that are being made against you then there is no point trying to explain.

Not surprising given the dross you have posted on other threads.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Thanks for that, I have always suspected that he makes most of his money through gambling. Still don't know how easy it is to hide that sort of money from the public.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Other than spending a lot on the club, what else has he achieved?

Us: Well, he appointed Gus Poyet who won us the League One title with games to spare in 2011.

Mustafa: Yes, but other chairman have won us championships before.

Us: Well, he provided the financial resources for Gus to take the Albion to the Championship play-offs.

Mustafa: Well, okay, but really, what else has he achieved?

Us: Well, after Gus, he appointed a manager who steered the Albion into the Championship play-offs again.

Mustafa: Okay, okay, but aside from that?

Us: Well, there is the £103 million he spent on a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium....

Mustafa: That is quite a lot of money. What else?

Us: ... and another £15 million on the capacity increase...

Mustafa: That's true...

Us: ... and another £30 million on an academy that has recently been adjudged to have the highest rating of any in the country.....

Mustafa: That certainly should help us in the longer term...

Us: ... and about £14 million a year to meet the operating shortfalls.

Mustafa: Okay, okay, enough already.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
two things to say here Ok it might not have been banks but investors maybe
it also beggers the question why did we not stay at the Goldstone and develop that, the Blooms were there then
and surely to protect his investment we should have kept Leo and some of the others we have not replaced, if its gets any worse there will be no investment.
10m against lowering crowds and not money coming in spells disaster, I am no economist but even I can see that.
investing in the hotel experiment hmmmm! maybe some money should go into players so as we can improve or position, I might ad we might be lucky and the team will gel .............but what if it does not

Didn't Leo want to go, once he'd bee tapped up? Difficult to get him to stay after that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If we are in the Championship and reach the playoffs 50% of the time that is an achievement though. The history of the club puts us as being a Championship/ League One outfit.

You are not being objective because you seem to be benchmarking him against the voices in your head, instead of the performance indicators and resources of those we are competing against.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
Everyone is quick to criticise Barber, Burke, Hyypia and Jones yet the man who employs these people is forever talked about like some sort of god. I fully understand that without Bloom we could well be in a very dark place, but why does he escape the criticism? He made a promise to fans that by the end of the transfer window we would have a squad capable of finishing in the play offs, when instead we have a team that would struggle to make the play offs in the womens league. Im not saying for 1 minute that he should go, course not. I just think its unfair to blame everyone else when in reality the buck stops with him. For what its worth i feel really sorry for Sami Hyypia, He was sold this vision that quite frankly does'nt exist.

Because without him we may well be screwed!!!!! If you had his money would you put it in the albion....I doubt it.....bloom helped save us with his own money...grow up and accept the man deserves every accolade he gets as there is very few who would put the money in to the extent he had done. Think of the past before you comment........

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No exaggeration at all. Total global domination is my fervent desire for the club too.

Let's define that: back to back quadruple (PL, FA Cup, Mickey Mouse Cup and Champions' League) with the entire World Cup winning England starting 11 as our first eleven, with the likes of Messi and CR7 sitting it out on our bench, having beaten Palace 11-0 in the first round of the Cup with our U16s. That'll do.

We might have to wait a season longer than I was hoping however...

Part of my dream involved my daughter as Brighton captain (of the men's team) lifting the Champions league Trophy at Wembley, but given that she is now 30 and no longer plays football, I think it is unlikely..... apart from the minor detail of a change in the rules needed!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Didn't Leo want to go, once he'd bee tapped up? Difficult to get him to stay after that.

if we knew this why oh why did we not get a replacement before he went, there were plenty to choose from.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Everyone is quick to criticise Barber, Burke, Hyypia and Jones yet the man who employs these people is forever talked about like some sort of god. I fully understand that without Bloom we could well be in a very dark place, but why does he escape the criticism? He made a promise to fans that by the end of the transfer window we would have a squad capable of finishing in the play offs, when instead we have a team that would struggle to make the play offs in the womens league. Im not saying for 1 minute that he should go, course not. I just think its unfair to blame everyone else when in reality the buck stops with him. For what its worth i feel really sorry for Sami Hyypia, He was sold this vision that quite frankly does'nt exist.

please rearrange this appropriate quote

hand fed don't the bite you that !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
if we knew this why oh why did we not get a replacement before he went, there were plenty to choose from.

Because it's a sellers market and the good ones were holding off for as good a deal as possible (for example Lewis Grabban).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here