Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OK, who has cancelled their direct debit?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Even if you do cancel you won't be able to buy a ticket again until the balance is cleared for the rest of season. A bit like a mobile phone you've entered into a contract with the club which you can't get out of until said contract ends. Yes you can cancel the direct debit and it will fail every month however you will still owe the club the money.

Thus rendering cancelling said direct debit kinda pointless, unless that is you never want to go again in which case knock yourself out (even then I'm sure the club will probably still come after you for the money).

Exactly this. You'll still have to pay the club the outstanding balance. So you won't cancel, this season at least. And then when we win a couple of games, you'll find yourself wanting to pop along again, just to see how it's going. Which would make you arguably the most unprincipled tosser in the place.

The sort of person who would do this is the sort of person who likes to make a big show of how Disgusted they are with everything in life that doesn't quite meet with their satisfaction, usually via social media, but rarely actually backs it up with any decisive action. The classic hot air types.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course if you do then perhaps it is you that is the mug. Cancel the DD then the club can sell that ticket. Bear in mind you have paid seven instalments on this years ticket already!!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Question for those more knowledgeable about direct debits.

If you do cancel your direct debit do the club need your express permission i.e. you signing a direct debit mandate again to kick off a new one? Or can they legally just use your original one?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Question for those more knowledgeable about direct debits.

If you do cancel your direct debit do the club need your express permission i.e. you signing a direct debit mandate again to kick off a new one? Or can they legally just use your original one?

If you cancel your DD, you're cancelling it with the bank, so the club can't just take the cash. However, you have a contractual commitment to the club for the whole season - cancelling the DD doesn't change that. Who knows whether they'd come after you for the balance of the season's money? I suspect they would, because if they didn't it would set a precedent for other people to do the same and get away with it. The other thing to bear in mind if you cancel and don't pay up for the rest do the season is that they won't sell you a ticket for any game until you've settled up in full.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times.

And we've been through far worse times than this!

Conversely we have just been through some of the best times that this club has ever known. Now we have a bad couple of months and the rats are walking the ropes off the ship in droves and queuing up to do it. Oh the drama of a few games where we don't win. We haven't had a good stuffing yet either. Can you imagine the fun on NSC if we lost a game 6-0.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Of course not!
What else you gonna do on a Saturday..?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If you cancel your DD, you're cancelling it with the bank, so the club can't just take the cash. However, you have a contractual commitment to the club for the whole season - cancelling the DD doesn't change that. Who knows whether they'd come after you for the balance of the season's money? I suspect they would, because if they didn't it would set a precedent for other people to do the same and get away with it.

Of course they would as they know that they have a payee over a barrel in that if they ever want to buy tickets in the future that they have to settle the balance before they can do that. It's not like using the example I gave earlier with mobile phones you can just go to another provider.

Another question, as the club are effectively giving you credit, if you didn't pay could they put a black mark on your credit file?

The other thing to bear in mind if you cancel and don't pay up for the rest do the season is that they won't sell you a ticket for any game until you've settled up in full.

Well no because that ticket is still yours until the end of the contract (and beyond one would assume if you do not tell them that you do not wish to renew....there is obviously a cut off point where you are in breach of contract so they can re-sell it but what that is only the club know I guess).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Of course not!
What else you gonna do on a Saturday..?

cycling-men-s-road-cycling-beijing-crop.jpg
:)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you cancel your DD, you're cancelling it with the bank, so the club can't just take the cash. However, you have a contractual commitment to the club for the whole season - cancelling the DD doesn't change that. Who knows whether they'd come after you for the balance of the season's money? I suspect they would, because if they didn't it would set a precedent for other people to do the same and get away with it. The other thing to bear in mind if you cancel and don't pay up for the rest do the season is that they won't sell you a ticket for any game until you've settled up in full.

The ST balance would be a legally recoverable debt, so the club could make a formal demand, and if you failed to pay the balance (ie the total amount due for the whole season, which the club have already lent you) sue you for it. This could mean the club obtaining a CCJ, which would then be on your credit record. You'd then struggle to get any credit anywhere - and that includes things like mobile phone contracts etc. God help you if you wanted a mortgage too. Not recommended.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Another question, as the club are effectively giving you credit, if you didn't pay could they put a black mark on your credit file?

there's no "effective" about it, the club are giving you an interest free loan by allowing the DD and charging the same price. I think, but am not certain, that they can't put a black mark on your credit score though because you have to be FSA-registered or a CCJ in order to do so. If they pursued you through the Courts for the debt, you could end up with a CCJ, but it would be the Court that issued it, not the club.

Well no because that ticket is still yours until the end of the contract (and beyond one would assume if you do not tell them that you do not wish to renew....there is obviously a cut off point where you are in breach of contract so they can re-sell it but what that is only the club know I guess).

The ticket isn't "still yours" if you haven't paid for it though. The moment you cancel the DD you have breached the contract.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The ST balance would be a legally recoverable debt, so the club could make a formal demand, and if you failed to pay the balance (ie the total amount due for the whole season, which the club have already lent you) sue you for it. This could mean the club obtaining a CCJ, which would then be on your credit record. You'd then struggle to get any credit anywhere - and that includes things like mobile phone contracts etc. God help you if you wanted a mortgage too. Not recommended.

Yep - we're in violent agreement.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why would anyone cancel it, other than financial, family or geographic problems? I'm an Albion fan, that means I go to the occasional cup or play-off final, I get to think we're win a play-off semi but we don't, sometimes we have a great run and sometimes, like now, you wish we'd just win occasionally. Football isn't just about winning the Champions League or The Premier League, it's about the day out, the friends you meet and keep along the way, some of the great moments you've shared, some of the awful football you've endured. It's about getting relegated away at Grimsby, but going knowing we didn't stand a cat in hells chance of staying up. It's about buying a replica shirt you'll never wear, or your Palace mates giving you grief, knowing one day you'll give it back with interest.

It's about my Son (season ticket holder for 3 years now) who was offered the chance of a Chelsea ticket and looking at the guy as if he was mad!

So, no, I'm not cancelling my direct debit and hope I never will .... sorry to be so "on the fence!"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why would anyone cancel it, other than financial, family or geographic problems? I'm an Albion fan, that means I go to the occasional cup or play-off final, I get to think we're win a play-off semi but we don't, sometimes we have a great run and sometimes, like now, you wish we'd just win occasionally. Football isn't just about winning the Champions League or The Premier League, it's about the day out, the friends you meet and keep along the way, some of the great moments you've shared, some of the awful football you've endured. It's about getting relegated away at Grimsby, but going knowing we didn't stand a cat in hells chance of staying up. It's about buying a replica shirt you'll never wear, or your Palace mates giving you grief, knowing one day you'll give it back with interest.

It's about my Son (season ticket holder for 3 years now) who was offered the chance of a Chelsea ticket and looking at the guy as if he was mad!

So, no, I'm not cancelling my direct debit and hope I never will .... sorry to be so "on the fence!"

I think I love you :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here