• Both

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • There is no problem, I'm happy

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not sure I am going to blame anyone, shit happens. The players are struggling with the system, the forwards are looking like they may not up to the required standard of this division and we are conceding soft goals. I think we have to give the manager time to turn it around. Play off contenders every season is not a given. We also need some luck imo.

No panic from me yet, last night was an OK result, from some of the posts on here you'd think we'd been hammered.

If I had to point a finger at anyone it would be at Bloom for not releasing more funds for players this summer, but that is a taboo discussion given how much money he has put into the club. I am put in mind of the old cliche "spoil the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar" this season.

We must have spent around £3-4m on transfer fees alone this pre-season i'm not sure we've been particularly thrifty.

Personally I think the squad is pretty poor but we'd be mid-table with a coherent formation. The players may not be executing his plans but a) at what point does that become bad management and b)i'm not sure even if the players learn it it's a formation that makes any sense

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Both. We are woefully lightweight and comparing our squad of two seasons ago to the current one is painfully upsetting. Mid table team at best. Having said that it is compounded by kamikaze tactics that clearly nobody really understands and leave us terribly exposed to decent counter attacking football.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
It's the tactics with the players we have.

We don't have the full backs to play the way that SH wants to.

He either needs to change the tactics to suit the personnel, or buy the players to suit the tactics.

Short term it has to be change the tactics.
It's the system.

I don't know any fullbacks who attack anywhere near as well as a genuine winger - and while they are trying they will never be able to do their defensive job. The system just doesn't make sense.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
one word Height height height

not just "target man" up front

think of the training, when we practice set peices, we do it as a squad, so the ball go into a box full of diddy men and it probably works well

but on a saturday when the JFC corner its the first man it hits a 6'8" lump from the oppo

Sami needs to get the worthing bears in for set peice & attacking crosses

I'd imagine our ratio of goals from corners is far superior than any other season in the Amex era. It's one area we look to have improved.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
I think that there are 2 issues here.
1. The tactics of Samii. Playing an out and out winger as a centre mid and having 2 wing backs that do not get back - which leaves the centre backs exposed.Maybe play a back 3 with the wing backs.
2. The reluctance to spend money on a capable striker. The money gained from the sale of Ulloa and Buckley was more than enough to get a decent goalscorer. All of the Championship sides seem to have one or two big lumps that are capable of holding the ball up for their team - all we have are Ken Dodds Diddy men running around like extras from a Benny Hill episode.
Oh.... As an afterthought, maybe a change to the assistant coach. Mr Jones is either a Yes man or clueless.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It has to be the manager for signing the players he has...none of the forwards have scored since CMS got one against Charlton....We only score from corners with defenders....Hardly suprising with midget forwards.....Lua Lua cannot play full game he is and always has been impact player for last twenty minutes...Possession football does not win games... Scoring more Goals than opposition does...simple.!!!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We really needed an option questioning whether the club is managing its playing operations correctly.

And this isn't a euphemism for throwing money at it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
has to be a combination of both. the tactics should work, maybe players aren't following them or unsuited. the players are good enough (at least to not be struggling) but clearly are with either tactics or motivation. playing the full backs so far up is great IF they are used AND only one gets forward at a time, or they overlap with a winger, so there's enough cover. as it is we compress the opponent up the pitch well but there's no outlet, the wing isnt used, while acres of space left in behind. ultimately its the execution is whats letting us down.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We don't have a full back in the club who can defend properly. Bruno, Calderon, Bennett and Chicksen are hopeless. Absolutely the worst in the division...all of them. This puts enormous pressure on the CB's and keeper. Big mistake not to tie up a deal for Ward. Hughes has to come in at RB.
Midfield has no driving force. JFC and Gardner don't have the confidence to set anything up. Ince needs to come in and play alongside Holla. No width in the team. Big mistake not to get Conway.
Aguerro, Suarez and Costa would struggle for goals in this team. The service is appalling. No creativity and poor final delivery. Only Paddy looks capable and he can't do it on his own.
Manager has to forget full backs rampaging forward and adopt a more pragmatic back line. He has to keep ringing the changes in midfield until this inertia is sorted out.
Manager or players...I know its fence sitting but combo of both.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Manager has to forget full backs rampaging forward and adopt a more pragmatic back line. He has to keep ringing the changes in midfield until this inertia is sorted out.

I don't mind rampaging full-backs (it's what a lot of our success has been built on recently). I have a problem with them bombing forward as soon as we have the ball to act as target men for long balls and playing as the second striker

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
I think I read somewhere that SH had seen video's of last season and said we had possession without purpose. As far as I can see, nothing has changed. We can pass it around the back 4, forward to Holla or JFC then back to the centre backs till the cows come home. Also, most passes are to someone stationary. Why not 5 yards in front of them so that the receiving player is already at pace. I know Southampton have better players, but most of their passes are in in front of the player, and you could see the damage that caused against Sunderland. Also, why when defending corners, we bring all outfield players back into our penalty area. Baldock and Colunga can't win headers in the oppositions penalty box, so they are hardly likely to in ours. All this means that if we do clear it, it goes straight to the opponents under no pressure, and back towards us.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here