Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and Finance Discussion (separated from match thread)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Did Poyet source them though, I doubt it. Seems the successes are down to poyet and the failures down to Burke. Absolutely no logic!

Did he source CMS? Works both ways. Until we know the inner dealings of our transfer system none of us know for sure.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Did he source CMS? Works both ways. Until we know the inner dealings of our transfer system none of us know for sure.

This is my number one question. Depending on the answer I would love to know. Im convinced burke says to any manager "here are a load of players from my super list who do you want"

As opposed to

"You tell me who you want and we will do our best to get him"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is my number one question. Depending on the answer I would love to know. Im convinced burke says to any manager "here are a load of players from my super list who do you want"

As opposed to

Agree. And there's a massive difference between these two.

I'd sit the forwards down this morning and start them off with a box of matches. See if they can strike one from that and then move on to more complicated tasks involving balls and running. Go right back to basics etc

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Agree. And there's a massive difference between these two.

I'd sit the forwards down this morning and start them off with a box of matches. See if they can strike one from that and then move on to more complicated tasks involving balls and running. Go right back to basics etc

Is the difference that one is a list of players that we can afford and are available and the other one is usually a wish list of players that are unrealistic?

Having listened to David Burke's Roar interviews, it would appear that the process is a mixture of the two. They do look at players that managers specifically want as well as compile their lists - Oscar gave them a list last January but they were all too expensive, unavailable or didn't want to come to the club, for example.

I can see that the clubs approach is a decent one and is, in Soccernomics terms, using the wisdom of crowds. What may be up for discussion is that perhaps the members of the crowd deciding are not quite right. Although personally I believe it is still early days with this squad and manager.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Thought it was ridiculous that through out the game the club were plugging the new "Be Bold" shirt at the same time as trying to update you on how the game was going.

Struck me again as very much "Customers" ahead of "Fans".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Barber's performance should be judged on the next accounts, especially the revenue figures.

If there is conflict in the goals of Barber, Burke and Hypia then it's up to Tony Bloom to sort it. Barber is simply not responsible for results on the pitch, he is responsible for maximising revenue, cutting cost, working to a budget and all non-playing off the pitch affairs. In the main he seems to be doing a fine job of all that.

Anyone criticising Barber is clueless. He is doing the job he was brought in to do, if you don't like the remit of the job he's doing then your problem is with Bloom.

As opposed to

That's no doubt the question that any potential new manager or "head coach" would need an answer to. And the answer would also need to be to the liking of the manager.

I wonder how many potentially excellent managers are put off by the answer that they get.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's Poyet, who Bloom trusted far too much, giving us £3.25m CMS, a payroll bill largely made up of GP's player wages almost matching turnover and so inevitably generating the £12m accounts losses. The architect of Southampton 8-0 Poyet's team.

Is this the same Poyet you mention who saved Sunderland from near certain relegation last season and whose team beat virtually every top 10 side along the way ?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Anyone criticising Barber is clueless. He is doing the job he was brought in to do, if you don't like the remit of the job he's doing then your problem is with Bloom.

By that statement, you are also saying that David Belotti should not have been held responsible??? After all, he was only doing what Bill Archer bought him in to do?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Burke with his "list" can do one. Let Sami get who he wants in.
I was so so angry today when I saw Hudds got Grant Holt on loan. What with FFS going on loan up the road WHAT ARE WE PLAYING AT. Two proven champ goalscorers.

Remember kids. The loaning team contribute to wages.

Grant Holt was sh*t yesterday btw... so I guess he'd fit in.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
John Stephenson was I believe the person responsible at that time. He knew cms (and Buckley too). As to how much Poyet was involved in choosing I don't know. We know that Poyet personally persuaded cms of the Brighton project.

Let's be honest too, such a marquee signing benefited more people than Poyet.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Grant Holt was sh*t yesterday btw... so I guess he'd fit in.

Hmmm thats not what they said on the radio they said he had the hold up play we are crying out for so Baldock and then Clunge could do their thing. However you were there so I cant disagree with you!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
By that statement, you are also saying that David Belotti should not have been held responsible??? After all, he was only doing what Bill Archer bought him in to do?

Ha! I like your thinking, extreme example, slightly disengenous to be comparing Bloom/ Barber to Belloti/Archer but I'll go with it.

If it hadn't have been Belloti, it would have been some other stooge with the same aim. Archer was the cancer, Belloti was the manifestation of it.

Similarly, in playing budget terms, clearly TB calls the shots. I reckon things could be a lot worse if it wasn't for Barber maximising revenue, cutting cost etc... we'll see when the next accounts come out, not too much longer to wait now.

I would like to make it clear I'm not defending David Belloti in any way here. "Build a bonfire"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hmmm thats not what they said on the radio they said he had the hold up play we are crying out for so Baldock and then Clunge could do their thing. However you were there so I cant disagree with you!

I didn't really notice him to be honest. There wasn't really a great deal of time when we felt overly worried especially second half when we almost played with four defenders in OUR half.

Not saying we couldn't do with a Holt type player though. If we cannot get back to threading passes through the middle or having the likes of Tex or dare I say it McCourt rampaging in the box then maybe we should look in that direction.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As opposed to

WTF is a scouting network for? What lower league gems are our manages supposed to know about that they can recommend them to the board? What players in Europe are they regularly watching to make a decision? It beggars belief that some people would prefer our managers to be off watching hundreds of other games rather than being part of training and working on the tactics for our team. Does anyone think that we are that different from many other clubs of a similar or bigger size?

That's no doubt the question that any potential new manager or "head coach" would need an answer to. And the answer would also need to be to the liking of the manager.

I wonder how many potentially excellent managers are put off by the answer that they get.

I wouldn't be surprised if none have been put off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here