Votes: 25 31.3%
  • Their culture

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Everything

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters

Yoda

English & European
And not forgetting the benefits welfare bill that has rocketed by £20 billion even though it keeps getting cut but still rising, I wonder why.

Having previously worked in that sector, it isn't jolly foreigner (at least not the area I covered). 99% of Income Support claim forms I ever saw were BRITISH claimants. Not to mention the vast majority of that bill going on the elderly.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Question to the mods. Can you add a "I don't have an issue" category please?

Nope - not possible. Bozza may be able to, I guess :shrug:

I can lock/"delete" the thread and you can try again, if you like. Assuming, of course, you feel it's absolutely essential to have yet another new thread on immigration.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Instead of being silly, ask yourself why we need foreign doctors and nurses in the first place.

The first reason is because we haven't trained our own people, which can you not agree is an absolute disgrace.
May be if they made university courses affordable in this country we wouldn't need to recruit from overseas or through agencies at hugely inflated fees to the government and we wouldn't get problems like lack of communication between some doctors and nurses and patients due to the language barrier.

The second reason is obvious, we have more people than ever using the NHS which can be put down to increased numbers because of immigration, so we need more people to run it.

I think there is a finite proportion of people dedicated enough to go in to medicine. Not everyone is dedicated enough to train to be a doctor or a nurse. That goes for the whole of mankind, hence a spread of ethnicities and nationalities.

I also believe that nurses are undervalued financially. Why would you go through the stresses and strains of being a nurse when you can earn more in recruitment or PR or other such less essential services? We undervalue important jobs in this country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope - not possible. Bozza may be able to, I guess :shrug:

I can lock/"delete" the thread and you can try again, if you like. Assuming, of course, you feel it's absolutely essential to have yet another new thread on immigration.

Thanks. I'll leave as is and see if Bozza spots my request and acts.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The majority of immigrants to this country through the last 100 years have settled in well, have respected the British or rather the western European Christian based culture and have assimilated into the UK whilst maintaining their own traditions. I think for example of the west Indians, the Irish, the Caribbean Blacks, the Jewish people from various eastern European countries etc.

in todays society most immigration is still without problems, however there is a small number of immigrants who come from countries that are massively different from ours culturally , eg Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Yeman, Afghanistan, etc who maybe used to some types of behaviour that in this country and in Europe we find unacceptable. Eg treatment of woman, treatment and attitude towards gay people, attitude towards people that don't share the same religion as them. Understanding of democracy and human rights etc.

I am not saying everyone from these countried and others all hold the same views but a significant number historically have done according to various polls that have been done and this can become a problem if these people then move to live in the UK.

Very good post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why would you go through the stresses and strains of being a nurse when you can earn more in recruitment or PR or other such less essential services? We undervalue important jobs in this country.

This. Completely. How come this country has to enforce 'affordable housing' on new developments to give the people who directly serve their local community a sporting chance of being able to live in decent housing within that community? It's a spiv economy for sure.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This. Completely. How come this country has to enforce 'affordable housing' on new developments to give the people who directly serve their local community a sporting chance of being able to live in decent housing within that community? It's a spiv economy for sure.
And we used to have an excellent supply of affordable housing in this country until somebody decided it would be a good idea to flog it off at half price (Just a comment - nothing to do with immigration, good or bad).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The problem is that there are just too many of them. Nothing wrong with reasonable numbers, but we've been swamped with immigrants from all parts of the world.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Question to the mods. Can you add a "I don't have an issue" category please?

Why would you want that category when your thread title is "What's the main issue with immigrants?". Your carefully chosen options presumably for reaction, did not really include what a lot of people perceive as the main issue with immigrants, i think this can be seen in the replies.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This is a reasonably sensible answer. The main problem seems to be integration, for example there is a huge Chinese population in this country but nobody even really notices. This is a good model for any immigrants to any country.

But for many years this was "integration-lite" and therefore not a easy model to follow. Many of the Chinese community here from a generation ago were Hong Kong Chinese and so integration into British culture was easy for them. Then, because that generation integrated so easily, I think the mainland Chinese immigrants are now largely unnoticed, as you say.

Had we controlled an enclave in Persia for the past 100 years then perhaps the current "crisis" would also go largely unnoticed too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They don't use underarm deoderants

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
The problem is that there are just too many of them. Nothing wrong with reasonable numbers, but we've been swamped with immigrants from all parts of the world.

Is the correct answer, and when some of you little boys on here have families of your own and find your own offspring denied jobs, uni places, adequate health, housing etc maybe you will start to realise the huge damage it is causing to this overcrowded Isle

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
And we used to have an excellent supply of affordable housing in this country until somebody decided it would be a good idea to flog it off at half price (Just a comment - nothing to do with immigration, good or bad).

The error was not flogging it off though... there error was stopping councils re-investing the money raised in new housing stock. Perhaps if the money raised from "right-to-buy" had been ring fenced for new housing then now, housing supply would actually exceed demand and we wouldn't have the run-away property purchase/rental prices we have currently (Also, just a comment with nothing to do with immigration)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure that the Chinese population has integrated into the uk particularly, they stick mainly to themselves, and our contact with them is pretty minimal...Seems like many of our doctors and pharmacy operators are of Pakistani descent...think people maybe cherry picking a bit.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The main problem of course is the Saxons... oh, and the Angles.

I didn't mind the Jutes or the Danes too much, they integrated well with us native Celts, but these Anglo-Saxon types refuse to worship our gods, eat funny food and generally look different. Send them all home I say!

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I'm an immigrant and I have no problem with me. I have a job a house, pay for state education and jave recieved benefits in my first year here. I applied and was accepted. Still get slurs and abuse due to my background. It was my choice to apply and Australias choice to accept. Why should other people not have the same opportunity.

Just to add, I am an econonic and lifestyle migrant. Sorry if that is not the done thing.

I will never support the Australian Cricket team and will always maintaim cultural and family ties to my country of birth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The error was not flogging it off though... there error was stopping councils re-investing the money raised in new housing stock. Perhaps if the money raised from "right-to-buy" had been ring fenced for new housing then now, housing supply would actually exceed demand and we wouldn't have the run-away property purchase/rental prices we have currently (Also, just a comment with nothing to do with immigration)
Not sure about that. Even without being stopped from ring-fencing the money for new housing, I think many councils (those run by the same party that flogged 'em off?) wouldn't have re-invested in housing anyway. Better returns elsewhere. Anyway, wrong thread for this! - therefore just a comment again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here